Pineapple pizza recipe development

I have an idea. It was possibly a lightbulb moment (why don't we have a 'lightbulb moment' emoticon @SatNavSaysStraightOn?). Anyway, I was thinking of how I could use a herb to bring a new dimension to the pizza. I was watering the plants and there it was - Epazote!

I bought the plant thanks to @CraigC, as we had discussed it as a flavouring in Mexican dishes. Its possibly an acquired taste but I reckon with sweet charred pineapple and some funky Italian charcuterie, it might just hit the spot. Epazote has a pungent flavour and is often described by as “medicinal." My gardener says it smells like tar!

What do you think @CraigC - or anyone else who knows this herb?

I have an idea. It was possibly a lightbulb moment (why don't we have a 'lightbulb moment' emoticon @SatNavSaysStraightOn?). Anyway, I was thinking of how I could use a herb to bring a new dimension to the pizza. I was watering the plants and there it was - Epazote!

I bought the plant thanks to @CraigC, as we had discussed it as a flavouring in Mexican dishes. Its possibly an acquired taste but I reckon with sweet charred pineapple and some funky Italian charcuterie, it might just hit the spot. Epazote has a pungent flavour and is often described by as “medicinal." My gardener says it smells like tar!

What do you think @CraigC - or anyone else who knows this herb?

Epazote would work if you make an Al Pastor pizza. It has pineapple.

Epazote would work if you make an Al Pastor pizza. It has pineapple.

Well I looked up Al Pastor pizza and its on the same track as I'm thinking! I'm not using pork (as such) but some kind of Italian pork based charcuterie. The chillies are part of Al Pastor, as is pineapple. And it seems that a tomato base is not part of Al Pastor. All of this fits. I might steal a few chilli ideals from the Al Pastor and use a few different chillies, including dried anchos etc.

So I'm very nearly sorted with this recipe development. Thanks @CraigC.

Back
Top Bottom