Pizza Places, What is Your Measuring Stick?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
1:24 PM
I judge a pizza place by their pepperoni pizza. I like the sauce to be on the spicy side and the pepperoni to be quality. When I was in high school, there was a place that cubed the pepperoni and cut the pie into squares or close to it (the outer edges were triangular). I really liked the pizza there.

Its got to be the crust - wood fired, tasty, not too chewy not to thick nor too thin. In my town its impossible to get a good pizza - its all pizza chains which are really not as good as anything I can make at home (even though I don't have a wood fired oven). The best here is Pizza Express which isn't as good as it used to be 30 years ago. I think in London and other big cities there are more independent and more authentic pizza restaurants.

I used to like Ameci's. Tasted the most like New York Pizza. Thin crispy crust, lots of melted cheese, just enough sauce without being soggy. It's still good, but not as good as it used to be. Numero Uno (I think) had a great thick but airy crust, Neopolitan deep dish square pizza. Don't know if they are still around.

Last edited:
I remember the cracker like crust pizza I had in Antibes. I also remember the beer vending machines. Won't find those here, even in NOLA where they have drive through Daiquiri Bars.

I love a nice thick crust and a tangy red sauce thats not overly garliced. I also like white pizza, again not too much garlic.

Currently there are two places we really like, Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, which is a chain, the meatball ricotta pie is excellent and the chicken wings are great as well. The other place, The Sicilian Oven, has wood fired ovens and has 3 locations here.

The crust has to be crisp, yet soft enough to fold without breaking. After folding it should be tilted toward the plate for 5 seconds. After tipping there should be no more than a few drops of grease at the most on the plate from pepperoni pizza. plain should have none

A lot of pizza place in the states use cheap cheese that isn't all milk and mixed with oil or is a high moisture content mozzarella. When it is cooked a layer of grease sits on top of the pizza and will literally pour off and pool up on the plate. Disgusting.

A lot of pizza place in the states use cheap cheese that isn't all milk and mixed with oil or is a high moisture content mozzarella. When it is cooked a layer of grease sits on top of the pizza and will literally pour off and pool up on the plate. Disgusting.

We wouldn't eat pizza like that. :sick:

Back
Top Bottom