Pizza Q&A.

I have to say I really enjoy toppings. Simply tomato sauce and cheese doesn't work for me. I don't need a whole lot of different ones at once, but if faced with plain, I'll end up eating ONE slice to be polite (or not get hangry), and that would be that...

One of my favorite pizzas, which I used to buy a couple slices of on my route back and forth to my old house, was a white pizza with shrimp and broccoli. That was so YUMMERS!

TR
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
I followed your sauce recipe fairly close. I decided to use salami so I rendered it quickly in a saute pan, drained and reserved the rendered fat for the sauce. A little olive oil. I used fresh basil instead of dried oregano. The San Marzano tomatoes have enough natural sweetness that no sugar was needed. I did add the Parm R. At the end there was something missing. I stirred in a TBSP of butter which gave the sauce a perfect silky texture. For the topping I used fresh mozzarella, squeezed dry as you suggested, fresh basil, thinly sliced bell pepper and salami slices. Baked then topped with pepper flakes and micro-planed Parm R. My mistake was too much meat. I should have used half as much or none at all. The meat overpowered the the wonderful flavor of the sauce.
I am now a pizza junkie. Thank you TR.

IDK why my stone looks blue. Bad light.
I am now a pizza junkie.
I need more advice. Deano's sells rolled out, open pizza dough. I would like to order and pick up several. How should I store it? I know I can freeze it. May I fold it over and freeze? Put a sheet of parchment paper on top. Fold over. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Will that work? I do not have room to freeze the full sheets of dough without folding.

TR
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
I followed your sauce recipe fairly close. I decided to use salami so I rendered it quickly in a saute pan, drained and reserved the rendered fat for the sauce. A little olive oil. I used fresh basil instead of dried oregano. The San Marzano tomatoes have enough natural sweetness that no sugar was needed. I did add the Parm R. At the end there was something missing. I stirred in a TBSP of butter which gave the sauce a perfect silky texture. For the topping I used fresh mozzarella, squeezed dry as you suggested, fresh basil, thinly sliced bell pepper and salami slices. Baked then topped with pepper flakes and micro-planed Parm R. My mistake was too much meat. I should have used half as much or none at all. The meat overpowered the the wonderful flavor of the sauce.
I am now a pizza junkie. Thank you TR.
View attachment 40195

View attachment 40196

IDK why my stone looks blue. Bad light.
I am now a pizza junkie.
I need more advice. Deano's sells rolled out, open pizza dough. I would like to order and pick up several. How should I store it? I know I can freeze it. May I fold it over and freeze? Put a sheet of parchment paper on top. Fold over. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Will that work? I do not have room to freeze the full sheets of dough without folding.
Well, first off, congrats on that pie, it looks fabulous! :highfive:

I don't think I'd fold that dough, though if you wrap it, then fold it, I guess that would work. I'd wrap it tightly in a couple of layers of plastic wrap, then maybe some foil, just to be sure.

Any chance he's selling unopened dough balls? If I'm buying dough to freeze, that'd be my first choice.

Also, if you're ever in the mood, I can send you a super-easy same day dough recipe. You can even make it in a food processor. Takes about 10 minutes, tops. It's what I used for yesterday's pizza.

Again, well done on that pie. And remember the golden rule with pizza toppings - less is more! But that's one beautiful pie. Wonderful! I just licked my phone. :)

I am buying pizza dough because yeast is not available. I was extremely proud of myself for scoring fresh dough. When there is some kind of normalcy I will make my own dough. In the meantime I will happily purchase open dough from my local pizza joint.
TR did you notice my use of the term "open dough "?🤗🙄🤗🙄
I am trying to be serious. I have never appreciated the beauty of pizza. I am now an official pizza junkie.

I am looking at the last of my beet crop. Beetroot and beet greens. I am determined to turn these unusual ingredients into a pizza.
TR you have created a serious nut case.
🤩

Made my first cast iron deep dish pizza. Was happy with the results. Changes I will make are;
I used grape seed oil in my pan. I will try butter next time.
I had to use shredded mozzarella because that is all the store had. Next time slices.

Made my first cast iron deep dish pizza. Was happy with the results. Changes I will make are;
I had to use shredded mozzarella because that is all the store had. Next time slices.

Butter might burn. Olive oil would probably be a better choice.

When I've made pizza in a cast iron skillet I don't use any fat. Not sure why you need it. 'Traditionally' pizza is not baked on a greased surface.

When I've made pizza in a cast iron skillet I don't use any fat. Not sure why you need it. 'Traditionally' pizza is not baked on a greased surface.
Deep-dish/pan pizza (as it's called here) is known for being baked in heavily oiled pans. It gives the bottom a very crispy-fried finish, like many focaccia recipes will do.

I am looking at the last of my beet crop. Beetroot and beet greens. I am determined to turn these unusual ingredients into a pizza.
TR you have created a serious nut case.
🤩
We often make a pizza with beetroot - but we use pesto instead of a tomato sauce and goat's cheese instead of mozzarella.
I think I posted the recipe on here before.

Edited to add: Recipe - Beetroot & Goat's Cheese Pizza

Back
Top Bottom