Pizza

I make my own and use a pizza stone with oven turned up high as it goes. It cooks in 12 minutes. It would be great to have a wood fired pizza oven (and I gather they are the latest trendy outdoor 'gadget' in the UK, overtaking BBQ's!
I make a simple white bread dough with 20% semolina (not strictly necessary but gives a better texture and colour). I roll it out in semolina and then slap it on the pre-heated stone. Then the toppings are assembled. Tomato sauce followed by roasted garlic cloves, basil leaves, mozzarella, anchovies, capers and hot chillies. But that is just my particular favourite combination! I also use salami or pepperoni sometimes. Also spinach and an egg cracked on top and cooked until still runny yolked (oh bliss!).

Agreed @kgord, so many varieties and combinations, there's no wrong way. As long as you like it, whichever way that is, that's what counts. I try to be as healthy as I can when I make it but when I go out for pizza, the greasier the better. Not so much for your arteries but it sure tastes good, that's why we don't go out for pizza very often. I'm not too fond of a thin crust though or at least not overly thin. When we were younger, my best friend and I used to make pizza every Saturday either at my house or hers. One night we decided to make homemade pizza pockets, except when they came out they were huge and we've been calling them pizza purses ever since.

English muffin pizzas:

muffin%20pizza_zpssanqm8r2.jpg

With tomato, mozzarella, onions, artichokes, pepperoni, red cayennes and oregano.

Back
Top Bottom