Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family tree stuff today, heading to cemeteries to find grandfather and grandmother ? Council have given me places to go and plot numbers. I don't know what I'll find. My cousin in London is wanting info. My fathers side is a bit vague. I'm updating the tree. Three brothers came to nz in 1800s from Cornwall.

Russ

Well, the A/C thing went rather well, if $500US is rather well.

The issue was traced back to two small leaks in two lines. The repair guy (same guy they always send, he's a champ) was able to patch those, then recharge the completely depleted refrigerant.

Had that not worked, then it would have been replacing the whole system, around $12-$15K.

I love the repair guy. In the 16 years he's been coming here, I think he may have spoken 30 words at most. He's almost emotionless, but I think he's just a no-nonsense guy.

He almost made a joke today. He pointed out the two leaks and said:

"Two ways to go on this. Braze these. Some risk. If I do it wrong, it can get in the line. Plug it. New system."

"What's the other way?"

"Forget that. Get a new system."

So I asked him to try fixing it, and he exhaled meaningfully, said ok, then added:

"Don't worry. Been doing this 35 years."

And that was that. Fixed it up a treat. House is ice cold now.

Oh my, $500 is great!

I love repair people and handymen that don't talk much. Just get 'er done. Thanks.

Family tree stuff today, heading to cemeteries to find grandfather and grandmother ? Council have given me places to go and plot numbers. I don't know what I'll find. My cousin in London is wanting info. My fathers side is a bit vague. I'm updating the tree. Three brothers came to nz in 1800s from Cornwall.

Russ
Have you looked on Find A Grave in New Zealand - Cemeteries, Memorials | Records NZ

If you don't find them there and you find your grandparents graves in person, take photos and upload them to their website if you can.

Have you looked on Find A Grave in New Zealand - Cemeteries, Memorials | Records NZ

If you don't find them there and you find your grandparents graves in person, take photos and upload them to their website if you can.

Thanks, I only came up with council ones which is christchurchlibraries.com. They have a genealogy department and are coming back to me. I just thought I'd preempt them. I came up with nothing, headstones damaged from earthquakes we had here. I'll have to wait but I'll have a look at that one.
Many thanks.

Russ

I love repair people and handymen that don't talk much. Just get 'er done. Thanks.
The first couple of times he came out to the house, I'd try making a little joke, just to show that I'm a friendly sort of fella, and he'd just look at me like, "Shut up, you idiot." :)

Now, when he comes out, I just say, "You know where everything is, let me know when you're done."

I'm on vacation this week, just staying in the area. It's MrsTasty's birthday tomorrow, but she gets a whole week (nine days, actually) to celebrate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Plans today include going to the bakery and picking up her cake, and shoe shopping. I've probably mentioned it before, but any kind of shopping with MrsTasty is punishment, but shoe shopping is the worst. I'm fully expecting to spend four hours of trying on the same three pairs of shoes, with a lot of, "I don't know...what do you think?" followed by not buying anything.

Oh my, $500 is great!

There used to be a show that followed appliance repairmen around, filming them with hidden cameras. One was called to checkout a fridge (there was nothing wrong with it). He was caught breaking off a terminal on a solenoid valve that controlled water flow to the ice maker. When push come to shove, the company he worked for expected their employees to "always find something wrong".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom