Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that rarely happens, even on Sunday - me making a pudding. An Old English Apple Top Hat to be precise - well we do have a lot of apples to use up. Suet pastry lines basin filled with chunks of apple sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Ready to cover and steam for two hours.
View attachment 47598
A boned and rolled shoulder of pork has been cooking away sous vide for 20 hours, and will be browned off and served with a cider gravy, celeriac mash and runner beans from the garden. And apple sauce, and apple and sage stuffing balls. Thats... at least six apples down.
Epic mate there are certain meals that tick all the boxes for me. This is NOT one of them:roflmao: joking. The "apple sauce, and apple and sage stuffing balls." was an unnecessary but a wonderful clincher. I was sold at the mention of Suet Pastry and Roast Pork. Bravo

Something that rarely happens, even on Sunday - me making a pudding. An Old English Apple Top Hat to be precise - well we do have a lot of apples to use up. Suet pastry lines basin filled with chunks of apple sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Ready to cover and steam for two hours.
View attachment 47598

A boned and rolled shoulder of pork has been cooking away sous vide for 20 hours, and will be browned off and served with a cider gravy, celeriac mash and runner beans from the garden. And apple sauce, and apple and sage stuffing balls. Thats... at least six apples down.

What's the differencce between a pudding and a pie in the UK? That looks and sounds like an apple pie. :scratchhead:

CD

What's the differencce between a pudding and a pie in the UK? That looks and sounds like an apple pie. :scratchhead:

CD

Very difficult question to answer.

In Yorkshire we have Yorkshire puddings and seasoned bread puddings which are starters; we have suet puddings which are similar to an inverted pie as a main course; and we have puddings which the rest of the world describe as sweets or deserts (apple pie and custard is a pudding).

Snake and pygmy Pudding, Snake and pygmy Pie
1601891285741.png
1601891383724.png

CD
That's one big can of worms you've gone and opened there :laugh: I'm not sure I can answer that because even in the tiny UK there are many regional interpretations, as Yorky has mentioned.

The term 'pudding' is interchangeable with dessert or sweet (depending on the region) as a generic term to describe the sweet course eaten after a main course. In this context, ice cream could be called pudding, for instance.

More specifically, a pie is topped with pastry - shortcrust or puff, whereas a pudding generally isn't. Dishes that involve suet, such as my apple top hat, or sponge, bread etc. would never be called pies - they are puddings. Puddings are generally stodgy type things, so a piece of gateau would not be a pudding, although you may eat it for pudding. Getting clearer?

I will now wait for the rest of the UK to point out that I have got it completely wrong!

Be careful. Wear your mask and wash your hands a lot. We want you back safely. :thumbsup:

CD

Oh, very kind thought from you, thank you Casey

Yep, I’ve never stopped from wearing masks and washing/sanitising my hands everyday and keep social distancing and it would be a non-sense to stop doing this when travelling abroad
I’m in Malpensa right now waiting boarding, many controls, lots of desolation. That’s it 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's one big can of worms you've gone and opened there :laugh: I'm not sure I can answer that because even in the tiny UK there are many regional interpretations, as Yorky has mentioned.

The term 'pudding' is interchangeable with dessert or sweet (depending on the region) as a generic term to describe the sweet course eaten after a main course. In this context, ice cream could be called pudding, for instance.

More specifically, a pie is topped with pastry - shortcrust or puff, whereas a pudding generally isn't. Dishes that involve suet, such as my apple top hat, or sponge, bread etc. would never be called pies - they are puddings. Puddings are generally stodgy type things, so a piece of gateau would not be a pudding, although you may eat it for pudding. Getting clearer?

I will now wait for the rest of the UK to point out that I have got it completely wrong!

Sounds about right.

Oh, very kind thought from you, thank you Casey

Yep, I’ve never stopped from wearing masks and washing/sanitising my hands everyday and keep social distancing and it would be a non-sense to stop doing this when travelling abroad
I’m in Malpensa right now waiting boarding, many controls, lots of desolation. That’s it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes - please be careful. Personally I wouldn't want to go anywhere near London right now. But I am vulnerable due to my age and heart issues.

I'm guessing shepherd's pie (and cottage pie) throw a bit of a monkey wrench (spanner) into the works. Meat and veggie stew with mashed potatoes on top.

CD :laugh:

Yes - please be careful. Personally I wouldn't want to go anywhere near London right now. But I am vulnerable due to my age and heart issues.

Thank you
I’m impressed by how many people don't wear mask, thus I’ll be more careful than ever and avoiding risky situations
I had to make this trip now after postponing it for weeks..the hotel where I stay (Chelsea) is very observant about rules, this is a relief

Last edited:
Thank you
I’m impressed by how many people don't wear mask, thus I’ll be more careful than ever and avoiding risky situations
I had to make this trip this now after postponing it for weeks..the hotel where I stay (Chelsea) is very observant about rules, this is a relief
This is a must-visit for MrsT whenever we're in London:

Milk Train | London | Ice Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom