Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kid brother in the UK had the flu jab 3 weeks ago. It's is the same as we were given here. He warned us not to plan anything for 2/3 days as it has a kick like a mule. We are both feeling groggy with aching bones. Jewish penicillin and chopped turkey liver pate for tonight. Chestnut cake has been benched till next weekend.

I'll make it short, because it's late:

We'd been married (after dating/engaged for two years) just a couple months. I always got home from work before she did, and I knew when I married her that she wasn't much help around the house, and I already knew the basics of cooking, so I'd always start supper when I got home, and it would be ready when she walked in the door, and a little while after we'd eat, I'd pick up the kitchen, because I don't like mess lying around.

Well, one night, after eating, I started cleaning up, and she said, "You know, you always cook, so why don't you let me clean up for a change?"

"Yeah, that sounds fair, have at it."

"I just want to finish what I'm watching, I'll get to it after that."

You can see where this is headed, right? Later that night...

"Um...are you going to get to the dishes, or..."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot. Yeah, I'll do it before we go to bed."

Time for bed. Yep, kitchen still dirty.

"It's too late now, I'll get them in the morning before I go to work."

Now, I went into work before she did, so I figured/hoped they'd be done before I got home, but that wasn't to be. I got home the next night, and there they sat, untouched.

So I left them, and when she got home, I asked what was up.

"Oh, sorry, I was running behind this morning, and I didn't have time. Just leave them, and when we're done eating, I'll clean everything up then."

Uh-huh...

This went on for another day, and I finally got mad and started cleaning the kitchen. That got her mad, because she said I wasn't giving her a chance to get things cleaned on her schedule and insisted I stop cleaning and leave it to her, which she would most definitely do, for sure, at some point in the very near future, just not right now.

"Fine," I said, "but I'm not touching that kitchen, and every day you put it off, more for you to do when you finally get around to it!"

And that's what I did.

We went through our eight place settings of regular dishes. We went through our eight place settings of nice stoneware (wedding gift). We were eating out of mixing bowls, off platters. I ran out of cookware and started bringing food home each night, and it just piled higher and higher and higher.

There were dirty dishes piled in both sinks, on the countertop, crammed in the oven, and still she got huffy about it, "I'll get to them when I get to them."

Finally, after I couldn't put up with the smell the kitchen started to develop, I came home at lunch and washed everything and scrubbed down the kitchen.

What did she say when she got home?

"I told you not to do that, I was going to get to it eventually!" 😤

And that's the last time she ever offered to clean the kitchen. :laugh:

I couldn't wait that long, I would have put my foot down with a firm hand. Lol. When my wife and I got together I worked a second job cleaning office blocks, my wife worked cleaning motels in the weekend. We aren't afraid of work or the kind of work. I normally take my plate to the bench after tea and go into the lounge. 5 mins later I hear the dish washer start up.

Russ

Mate your pointing is in excellent nick. I can see by the air vent your house has cavity walls and drain pipes. Both are very rare in Florida and other non east coat states. Is that an earth strap by the vent ? Nice mint too.

Yeah we have crawl space under the floor. Walls are gibbed ( dry wall) and that is an earth strap. And I ran out of time today so I'm doing mint tomorrow.

Russ

I couldn't wait that long, I would have put my foot down with a firm hand. Lol. When my wife and I got together I worked a second job cleaning office blocks, my wife worked cleaning motels in the weekend. We aren't afraid of work or the kind of work. I normally take my plate to the bench after tea and go into the lounge. 5 mins later I hear the dish washer start up.

Russ
MrsT's problem (one she readily admits to) is that she's never had to do anything for herself.

We got married when she was 26, and she lived at home until she was 25, and that meant her dad got her car serviced for her, her mom did all the cooking, cleaning, and shopping, so all MrsT had to do was...well, nothing, it was all done for her.

When I met her, she didn't know how to do laundry, or cook, she'd never vacuumed or cleaned a bathroom, she'd never been shopping for food, and to this day, she hasn't made many inroads in that.

I can get her to wash dishes, if she has a specific time, like when I step out for groceries after breakfast, I'll say, "Can you get the kitchen picked up while I'm out? I'll need the counter space to unload the groceries when I get home." - she'll do that, but if it's, "Could you vacuum the floor sometime today?" - it's never going to happen. It has to be presented as, "Can you do this now, because...," and include some reason why it can't wait until later.

MrsT's problem (one she readily admits to) is that she's never had to do anything for herself.

We got married when she was 26, and she lived at home until she was 25, and that meant her dad got her car serviced for her, her mom did all the cooking, cleaning, and shopping, so all MrsT had to do was...well, nothing, it was all done for her.

When I met her, she didn't know how to do laundry, or cook, she'd never vacuumed or cleaned a bathroom, she'd never been shopping for food, and to this day, she hasn't made many inroads in that.

I can get her to wash dishes, if she has a specific time, like when I step out for groceries after breakfast, I'll say, "Can you get the kitchen picked up while I'm out? I'll need the counter space to unload the groceries when I get home." - she'll do that, but if it's, "Could you vacuum the floor sometime today?" - it's never going to happen. It has to be presented as, "Can you do this now, because...," and include some reason why it can't wait until later.
It's a good job that you're happy to pick up the slack, else life could get a bit messy!

My wife drives me mad. She spend more on cleaning products than on herself. I think she has germophobia,
My ex-SIL is like that. I'll admit, she's the cleanest person I ever met, but I used to come back from visiting them with red, puffy eyes from all the bleach she used to clean everything in the house with. Hospital O/R rooms are dirtier than her house. :)

My wife's second youngest of nine. No one ran around after her. She calls me the poor guy from the settlement. Lol. Her family owned their home. I was raised in a government house. We really get on well and have each other's back. She's a worker I give her that.

Russ

My wife's second youngest of nine. No one ran around after her. She calls me the poor guy from the settlement. Lol. Her family owned their home. I was raised in a government house. We really get on well and have each other's back. She's a worker I give her that.

Russ
Oh, I in no way meant to imply MrsT is lazy. Far from it. Before her stroke, she outworked all her coworkers. As they say around these parts, she was a wheel hoss. No flies on her.

She just has absolutely has no interest in anything domestic. Like an athlete, she leaves it all on the field at the end of the workday, so when she's not working, she doesn't want to be doing anything else.

Oh, I in no way meant to imply MrsT is lazy. Far from it. Before her stroke, she outworked all her coworkers. As they say around these parts, she was a wheel hoss. No flies on her.

She just has absolutely has no interest in anything domestic. Like an athlete, she leaves it all on the field at the end of the workday, so when she's not working, she doesn't want to be doing anything else.
I didn't mean to imply she was lazy. I would never want to hurt you both. funny how we are all,raised differently eh? :)

Russ

My ex wife and I had a good working relationship on chores around the home. We both cooked, although she did more baking, and I did more cooking. We did the light after-meal cleanup together, but she did the heavy duty cleaning of the kitchen and bathrooms -- I hated that. But, she hated yard and garden work, and I liked it, so i did all of that. I also took care of the cars, something she had no interest in.

We both did stuff like vacuum floors and laundry, but I could only do that if she was not around, or she would tell me all the ways I was doing it wrong. If she didn't see how i did it, she was perfectly happy with the results. :laugh:

CD

I quite happily run a load of towels in the wash, then hang them out. I do house maintenance and pay the lawn guy, she likes to look after the inside. Tomorrow I'm sanding the upstairs balustrade and re varnish it. Wife's in the garden as I type, I have made a salad and peeling spuds for later. Beautiful day here. Supposed to be 28 deg c. I need to light the BBQ and burn off remnants of last BBQ.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom