Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I want to know why every cookbook and TV show and blog that deals with afternoon tea invariably describes it as some effortless thing that can be thrown together at the last minute? Every time I make afternoon tea, it takes me all day and I'm exhausted at the end. I swear, it's worse than getting Thanksgiving dinner on the table!

I actually started yesterday, and made white chocolate truffles and cupcakes, minus the frosting. I figure I was pretty damn with-it, getting such a head start on things. I slept the sleep of the smug last night. 😴 😏

This morning, the first thing I had to do was make spiced whipped cream, because the recipe said it had to sit "at least six hours" after steeping and before whipping. No problem, got that knocked right out.

Then I made the little toasty bread cups...the egg mayonnaise...cooked the bacon for the palmiers later...no problems at all.

All that went so well, I decided to go into town and check the four places that might possibly have Christmas plates; Walmart, ALDI, Ollie's, and Big Lots.

That's when it all started to unravel.

First stop, Walmart. They had some Christmas stuff out, even a couple of dishes, but mostly things like pickle trays. No plates, so I went back to their regular dish department...no Christmas plates, but they did have some burgundy plates that would work, especially on a green tablecloth...hmmmm...

Back to the tablecloths, no green, then up to the Christmas area, where they had...tablecloths! Yes! Let's see...red, red, red plaid, red...red...they're all red! That won't work!

Thought on my feet and decided to get the red and black plaid one, on the pretty good chance (I figured, stupid me) that one of the other three places would have some dark green dishes. That's a common color, right?

Down to ALDI. Didn't expect much, didn't find much. Disappointed in Ollie's as well.

C'mon...Big Lots! Daddy needs a new set of plates! 🎲

What did I find at Big Lots? A moth**fu***** green plaid tablecloth! I could have bought the burgundy plates at Walmart! Dammit!

No worries. They'll have the plates. They'll have the plates. They have to have the plates.

They didn't have the plates. 💩

Now, believe it or not, but I have a little quirk in my personality that absolutely forbids me from backtracking in the same day. There was no way I could make myself buy the green tablecloth, then go back to Walmart and buy the red plates. I tried. I really did. I sat in the car and willed it to go to Walmart. But I just couldn't do it.

So...no plates for me. 😢

Back home, and back to work. I told MrsT my tale of woe, to which she replied, unimpressed:

"You shoulda just bought the red plates. We already have a green table cloth."

🤦🏻‍♂️
🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sigh... Made the frosting and finished the cupcakes. Forgot to set out the cream cheese and butter before I left, so that slowed me down a little and just added to my hurt feelings.

Went to decorate the tops using little gummy fruit slices. You ever cut room-temperature gummy fruit slices? I have. Today. They don't cut so much as smoosh down onto the cutting board, impossible to get back up. 😒

Now I'm a little more behind.

Oh well, time to start the scones, and since they're yeasted, they have to rise. That works out ok, got those going, then turned to do the puff pastry palmiers and...where's the puff pastry? I know I set it right here...oh, nope, still in the freezer, hard as a slab of marble. 😒😒

Ok, I'll get the sandwiches done. Where's the cream cheese I sat out earlier? I need to make the sandwich spread? Oh, look, I was so smart, I put it back in the damn fridge! Idiot!

So...I took a break. After my little rest, trying to collect my thoughts, I went back and made the sandwiches, then thought I should take the truffles out of the fridge to soften a little so I could roll them in crushed peppermint.

Moved the puff pastry out of the way to make room for the truffles and...puff pastry! It's been out over an hour now! And the recipe says to barely thaw it, to make it easier to roll! 💩 💩

Now I'm really getting behind and feeling the heat. I quickly get the puff rolled out a bit, get the cheese down, the bacon down, the olives, and get it rolled up and cut, on the baking sheet...like a flash to the oven...which is ice-cold.

Crap! Forgot to preheat the oven! On with the oven.

Crap! The scones weren't supposed to rise more than an hour! It's been 90 minutes. Crap! Crap-crap-crap!!!

Tossed the scones in the cold garage to slow those down, finally into the oven with the puff, which doesn't take 15 minutes like the recipe says, more like 25. I don't know why, but now I expect tea will be ready sometime next week. 😒😒😒

Out with the puff, in with the scones. Finally, the home stretch! Get the sandwiches out! Fill the croustade with the egg! Put the whipped cream in a...CRAP!!! The whipped <bleeping> creeeeaaammm!!!

And of course my mixer bowl is dirty from the frosting. 😫

Washed that, whipped the cream, got it in a bowl, got the scones out to cool, got those and the puffy twists (or the twisty puffs) out, cupcakes on the stand, along with the truffles...

"Well, crap! I forgot to take these out earlier! They're too hard to roll in the peppermint!"

I figured that could be sacrificed, and finally, finally got this on the table:

Dropped into the chair, exhausted, nerves shot beyond belief, and told MrsT, "You pour, please. If I have to do one more thing, I'm going to hang myself!"

"Sure, no problem," she said, reaching for the pot.

"Um...you didn't make tea. There's no tea in here. It's empty."

😣😖😫😩

Which is why I'm writing this from the afterlife (hey, atheists...we were wrong, but it's cool, they play a lot of disco here, just as I suspected🕺🏻). I've just kicked Jesus square in the 🥜 for people making such a big deal out of his birthday.

I don't know when I'll ever recover from this to do another one. A week, at least. Maybe 10 days. :laugh:

Don't remind me. I ran out this morning in a last-ditch effort to find some Christmas plates and had a mini-breakdown in Big Lots, where I may or may not have shouted, "Whaddya mean, it's still October and you don't have Christmas plates?!?! I say it's already October and you don't have Christmas plates!!!" 🤬😤

You are supposed to buy that kind of stuff AFTER xmas, when it is on sale for ten-cents on the dollar. That's what my ex wife did -- by the car load. I had to find room in the attic to store it until the following year -- and then haul it all down again. :mad:

CD

Ok, so I want to know why every cookbook and TV show and blog that deals with afternoon tea invariably describes it as some effortless thing that can be thrown together at the last minute? Every time I make afternoon tea, it takes me all day and I'm exhausted at the end. I swear, it's worse than getting Thanksgiving dinner on the table!

I actually started yesterday, and made white chocolate truffles and cupcakes, minus the frosting. I figure I was pretty damn with-it, getting such a head start on things. I slept the sleep of the smug last night. 😴 😏

This morning, the first thing I had to do was make spiced whipped cream, because the recipe said it had to sit "at least six hours" after steeping and before whipping. No problem, got that knocked right out.

Then I made the little toasty bread cups...the egg mayonnaise...cooked the bacon for the palmiers later...no problems at all.

All that went so well, I decided to go into town and check the four places that might possibly have Christmas plates; Walmart, ALDI, Ollie's, and Big Lots.

First stop, Walmart. They had some Christmas stuff out, even a couple of dishes, but mostly things like pickle trays. No plates, so I went back to their regular dish department...no Christmas plates, but they did have some burgundy plates that would work, especially on a green tablecloth...hmmmm...

Back to the tablecloths, no green, then up to the Christmas area, where they had...tablecloths! Yes! Let's see...red, red, red plaid, red...red...they're all red! That won't work!

Thought on my feet and decided to get the red and black plaid one, on the pretty good chance (I figured, stupid me) that one of the other three places would have some dark green dishes. That's a common color, right?

Down to ALDI. Didn't expect much, didn't find much. Disappointed in Ollie's as well.

What did I find at Big Lots? A moth**fu***** green plaid tablecloth! I could have bought the burgundy plates at Walmart! Dammit!

No worries. They'll have the plates. They'll have the plates. They have to have the plates.

Now, believe it or not, but I have a little quirk in my personality that absolutely forbids me from backtracking in the same day. There was no way I could make myself buy the green tablecloth, then go back to Walmart and buy the red plates. I tried. I really did. I sat in the car and willed it to go to Walmart. But I just couldn't do it.

So...no plates for me. 😢

Back home, and back to work. I told MrsT my tale of woe, to which she replied, unimpressed:

🤦🏻‍♂️

Sigh... Made the frosting and finished the cupcakes. Forgot to set out the cream cheese and butter before I left, so that slowed me down a little and just added to my hurt feelings.

Went to decorate the tops using little gummy fruit slices. You ever cut room-temperature gummy fruit slices? I have. Today. They don't cut so much as smoosh down onto the cutting board, impossible to get back up. 😒

Oh well, time to start the scones, and since they're yeasted, they have to rise. That works out ok, got those going, then turned to do the puff pastry palmiers and...where's the puff pastry? I know I set it right here...oh, nope, still in the freezer, hard as a slab of marble. 😒😒

Ok, I'll get the sandwiches done. Where's the cream cheese I sat out earlier? I need to make the sandwich spread? Oh, look, I was so smart, I put it back in the damn fridge! Idiot!

So...I took a break. After my little rest, trying to collect my thoughts, I went back and made the sandwiches, then thought I should take the truffles out of the fridge to soften a little so I could roll them in crushed peppermint.

Moved the puff pastry out of the way to make room for the truffles and...puff pastry! It's been out over an hour now! And the recipe says to barely thaw it, to make it easier to roll! 💩 💩

Now I'm really getting behind and feeling the heat. I quickly get the puff rolled out a bit, get the cheese down, the bacon down, the olives, and get it rolled up and cut, on the baking sheet...like a flash to the oven...which is ice-cold.

Crap! The scones weren't supposed to rise more than an hour! It's been 90 minutes. Crap! Crap-crap-crap!!!

Tossed the scones in the cold garage to slow those down, finally into the oven with the puff, which doesn't take 15 minutes like the recipe says, more like 25. I don't know why, but now I expect tea will be ready sometime next week. 😒😒😒

Out with the puff, in with the scones. Finally, the home stretch! Get the sandwiches out! Fill the croustade with the egg! Put the whipped cream in a...CRAP!!! The whipped <bleeping> creeeeaaammm!!!

Washed that, whipped the cream, got it in a bowl, got the scones out to cool, got those and the puffy twists (or the twisty puffs) out, cupcakes on the stand, along with the truffles...

"Well, crap! I forgot to take these out earlier! They're too hard to roll in the peppermint!"

Dropped into the chair, exhausted, nerves shot beyond belief, and told MrsT, "You pour, please. If I have to do one more thing, I'm going to hang myself!"

😣😖😫😩

Which is why I'm writing this from the afterlife (hey, atheists...we were wrong, but it's cool, they play a lot of disco here, just as I suspected🕺🏻). I've just kicked Jesus square in the 🥜 for people making such a big deal out of his birthday.

I don't know when I'll ever recover from this to do another one. A week, at least. Maybe 10 days. :laugh:

I've never known anyone who needs some couch time more than you. If you don't see a shrink soon, you are going to be posting from a padded room.

CD

We had a tight 6, us and two other married couples. Tight for 30 plus years. Then Lynette got dementia, it drove us all nuts watching her slip downward. To eventually passing, then her husband got cancer and passed two years later. I hope we don't get it. I'm told to keep your mind active which I do by conversing on the net and my cooking etc.
My thoughts are with anyone going through it.

Russ

So...no plates for me. 😢

🤦🏻‍♂️

😣😖😫😩

If my mum had been alive and with you, she would have hugged you to her bossom and said there there. Give us a cuddle,lol.

Russ

We had a tight 6, us and two other married couples. Tight for 30 plus years. Then Lynette got dementia, it drove us all nuts watching her slip downward. To eventually passing, then her husband got cancer and passed two years later. I hope we don't get it. I'm told to keep your mind active which I do by conversing on the net and my cooking etc.
My thoughts are with anyone going through it.

Russ

Crossword puzzles. I've read that they are great for keeping your mind sharp as you get older. It has something to do with building brain synapses, or something like that. We naturally lose them as we age, especially when we retire.

CD

Crossword puzzles. I've read that they are great for keeping your mind sharp as you get older. It has something to do with building brain synapses, or something like that. We naturally lose them as we age, especially when we retire.

CD

I do soduku in the car if wife's shopping. That uses the brain. The guy that used to do my books was still doing jigsaws in his 80s. Sharp as a tack. Then he got cancer.

Russ

Well, my Steelers won. But, they seemed to be trying to give the game away in the second half. They had a 20 point lead, and won by three when the Titans missed a game tying field goal with nine seconds left in the game. A lot of shouting and profanity went down in the doghouse today.

But, they are still undefeated at 6-0. You take the wins, even if they are ugly.

CD

Public holiday here, just put bets on the gallops and harness races. I have three eggs to use up. Wife cracked three while putting them in the egg container. Who cracks three eggs out of 12. Prolly poach later? She needs to go to shop for clothes soon as well. Some holiday lol.
We will have leftovers, salad etc. I was looking forward to left over sausages, but mr6 said he was still hungry when leaving yesterday, wife gave him last two. Nuts.!!

Russ

Well, my Steelers won. But, they seemed to be trying to give the game away in the second half. They had a 20 point lead, and won by three when the Titans missed a game tying field goal with nine seconds left in the game. A lot of shouting and profanity went down in the doghouse today.

But, they are still undefeated at 6-0. You take the wins, even if they are ugly.

CD

We had the grand final in ozzy last night of rugby league. Melbourne vs Penrith. I support Penrith, we go to their club when we go to Sydney. Penrith were beaten 26 to 20. Nuts. I'm an ex league player.

Russ

I've never known anyone who needs some couch time more than you. If you don't see a shrink soon, you are going to be posting from a padded room.

CD
I'm sitting on the couch now, the one in my living room. Does that count? 😜

If my mum had been alive and with you, she would have hugged you to her bossom and said there there. Give us a cuddle,lol.

Russ
That's sweet of your mum! 👵🏻

I would have teared up a little, and said, "Thanks, Mrs. R...<sniff, wipes eyes>, could you....<sniff, wipes nose>...finish getting this damn tea on the table for me?!"

So we are just about ready to go out then wife informs we we have to,wait, some guy from her work is coming to see if our wall between lounge and kitchen has a load bearing wall. We want to open the wall up so there's more room for the kids when they come here. We need to open it up on the left hand side.

Russ

So we are just about ready to go out then wife informs we we have to,wait, some guy from her work is coming to see if our wall between lounge and kitchen has a load bearing wall. We want to open the wall up so there's more room for the kids when they come here. We need to open it up on the left hand side.

Russ

View attachment 49149

That's pretty easy to find out. And, if it is, you can still make it work, it will just require more work.

Watch the master, Tommy Silva do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZsS_4HiHT8

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom