Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The builder said he didn't think it was load bearing.
Those sound like what a person says...just before the ceiling collapses. :laugh:

Called off work today. I know I've got to get some laundry done, but mainly just planning sitting on my fat azz after the frustration of not finding any Christmas plates this weekend. MrsT mentioned Bed, Bath, And Beyond, a place I'd forgotten about (I thought they went out of business years ago), so I may try there today.

He used to do more before the dementia. In fact, he did more than me and was a stay at home parent for 12 years after the kids were born. He did everything including cooking.

I did not comment because I find it to frightening to think of either of us in that position. I have massive admiration for those who do right by there partner or relative.

Yes, but, unfortunately, there generally comes a time when family can't do it all by themselves. My stepmother kept my dad at home as long as she could, but he kept falling, as he wouldn't use a cane or walker, became totally incontinent, and had started to be physically and verbally abusive to the people she employed to help take care of him, as well as having screaming nightmares. The caretakers were black people and his personality had done a total 180 as he'd never been prejudiced in my entire memory. The abusive behavior and screaming nightmares continued to get even worse once he was in the nursing home to the point where they transferred him to a psych facility to medicate and stabilize him before he could go back to nursing home.

Another distant family member was kept at home and cared for by her daughter and adult granddaughters, until she started striking out at everybody, even the small great-grandchildren.

My aunt's father-in-law developed dementia. He wasn't violent per se, but had to have round the clock care so that he was never unattended because he would strip naked and go for a walk outside, even in the middle of the night in winter. Changing the locks to need keys only didn't work because he would either break a window or pitch an absolute fit, throwing things, kicking, etc., because he couldn't get out. Somebody always had to be there to redirect him before he got started.

Ok, so I want to know why every cookbook and TV show and blog that deals with afternoon tea invariably describes it as some effortless thing that can be thrown together at the last minute? Every time I make afternoon tea, it takes me all day and I'm exhausted at the end. I swear, it's worse than getting Thanksgiving dinner on the table!

I actually started yesterday, and made white chocolate truffles and cupcakes, minus the frosting. I figure I was pretty damn with-it, getting such a head start on things. I slept the sleep of the smug last night. 😴 😏

This morning, the first thing I had to do was make spiced whipped cream, because the recipe said it had to sit "at least six hours" after steeping and before whipping. No problem, got that knocked right out.

Then I made the little toasty bread cups...the egg mayonnaise...cooked the bacon for the palmiers later...no problems at all.

All that went so well, I decided to go into town and check the four places that might possibly have Christmas plates; Walmart, ALDI, Ollie's, and Big Lots.

That's when it all started to unravel.

First stop, Walmart. They had some Christmas stuff out, even a couple of dishes, but mostly things like pickle trays. No plates, so I went back to their regular dish department...no Christmas plates, but they did have some burgundy plates that would work, especially on a green tablecloth...hmmmm...

Back to the tablecloths, no green, then up to the Christmas area, where they had...tablecloths! Yes! Let's see...red, red, red plaid, red...red...they're all red! That won't work!

Thought on my feet and decided to get the red and black plaid one, on the pretty good chance (I figured, stupid me) that one of the other three places would have some dark green dishes. That's a common color, right?

Down to ALDI. Didn't expect much, didn't find much. Disappointed in Ollie's as well.

C'mon...Big Lots! Daddy needs a new set of plates! 🎲

What did I find at Big Lots? A moth**fu***** green plaid tablecloth! I could have bought the burgundy plates at Walmart! Dammit!

No worries. They'll have the plates. They'll have the plates. They have to have the plates.

They didn't have the plates. 💩

Now, believe it or not, but I have a little quirk in my personality that absolutely forbids me from backtracking in the same day. There was no way I could make myself buy the green tablecloth, then go back to Walmart and buy the red plates. I tried. I really did. I sat in the car and willed it to go to Walmart. But I just couldn't do it.

So...no plates for me. 😢

Back home, and back to work. I told MrsT my tale of woe, to which she replied, unimpressed:

"You shoulda just bought the red plates. We already have a green table cloth."

🤦🏻‍♂️
🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sigh... Made the frosting and finished the cupcakes. Forgot to set out the cream cheese and butter before I left, so that slowed me down a little and just added to my hurt feelings.

Went to decorate the tops using little gummy fruit slices. You ever cut room-temperature gummy fruit slices? I have. Today. They don't cut so much as smoosh down onto the cutting board, impossible to get back up. 😒

Now I'm a little more behind.

Oh well, time to start the scones, and since they're yeasted, they have to rise. That works out ok, got those going, then turned to do the puff pastry palmiers and...where's the puff pastry? I know I set it right here...oh, nope, still in the freezer, hard as a slab of marble. 😒😒

Ok, I'll get the sandwiches done. Where's the cream cheese I sat out earlier? I need to make the sandwich spread? Oh, look, I was so smart, I put it back in the damn fridge! Idiot!

So...I took a break. After my little rest, trying to collect my thoughts, I went back and made the sandwiches, then thought I should take the truffles out of the fridge to soften a little so I could roll them in crushed peppermint.

Moved the puff pastry out of the way to make room for the truffles and...puff pastry! It's been out over an hour now! And the recipe says to barely thaw it, to make it easier to roll! 💩 💩

Now I'm really getting behind and feeling the heat. I quickly get the puff rolled out a bit, get the cheese down, the bacon down, the olives, and get it rolled up and cut, on the baking sheet...like a flash to the oven...which is ice-cold.

Crap! Forgot to preheat the oven! On with the oven.

Crap! The scones weren't supposed to rise more than an hour! It's been 90 minutes. Crap! Crap-crap-crap!!!

Tossed the scones in the cold garage to slow those down, finally into the oven with the puff, which doesn't take 15 minutes like the recipe says, more like 25. I don't know why, but now I expect tea will be ready sometime next week. 😒😒😒

Out with the puff, in with the scones. Finally, the home stretch! Get the sandwiches out! Fill the croustade with the egg! Put the whipped cream in a...CRAP!!! The whipped <bleeping> creeeeaaammm!!!

And of course my mixer bowl is dirty from the frosting. 😫

Washed that, whipped the cream, got it in a bowl, got the scones out to cool, got those and the puffy twists (or the twisty puffs) out, cupcakes on the stand, along with the truffles...

"Well, crap! I forgot to take these out earlier! They're too hard to roll in the peppermint!"

I figured that could be sacrificed, and finally, finally got this on the table:

TastyReuben’s Catering Service.

Good afternoon. I’d like to order some nibblings for our Christmas tea party. 50, no 60 Danish pastries with Hungarian almond paste and Estonian butter. Yes, Estonian butter. I’ve heard it’s the best. And then 40 vanilla curd cupcakes made from REAL vanilla beans and organic eggs… from Gasper Family Farm, unquestionably. I’d like you to garnish them with mauve pansy petals and gummy bears cut in halves from head to paw. Not sideways! And only green gummy bears – or red if they’ve run out of the green ones. Two gummy bears, four pieces per cupcake. The pansies… Mauve. No, no it’s not pink, blue or purple. A greyish broken shade of pink with a hint of blue. Just a hint. And 64 palmiers filled with Provolone, fried banana shallots and Jamón Ibérico from La Bodega. I’ll pick them up at 6 o’clock. I need to rent 30 red Christmas plates as well..., traditional decoration but with a modern Scandinavian twist. I’m sure that’s not a problem. See you in a few hours. Ta’dah!
Dropped into the chair, exhausted, nerves shot beyond belief, and told MrsT, "You pour, please. If I have to do one more thing, I'm going to hang myself!"

"Sure, no problem," she said, reaching for the pot.

"Um...you didn't make tea. There's no tea in here. It's empty."

😣😖😫😩

Which is why I'm writing this from the afterlife (hey, atheists...we were wrong, but it's cool, they play a lot of disco here, just as I suspected🕺🏻). I've just kicked Jesus square in the 🥜 for people making such a big deal out of his birthday.

I don't know when I'll ever recover from this to do another one. A week, at least. Maybe 10 days. :laugh:
Here's my plan for today:
nails.gif

'TastyReuben’s Catering Service'.

'Good afternoon. I’d like to order some nibblings for our Christmas tea party. 50, no 60 Danish pastries with Hungarian almond paste and Estonian butter. Yes, Estonian butter. I’ve heard it’s the best. And then 40 vanilla curd cupcakes made from REAL vanilla beans and organic eggs… from Gasper Family Farm, unquestionably. I’d like you to garnish them with mauve pansy petals and gummy bears cut in halves from head to paw. Not sideways! And only green gummy bears – or red if they’ve run out of the green ones. Two gummy bears, FOUR pieces per cupcake. The pansies… Mauve. NO, NO it’s not pink, blue or purple. A greyish broken shade of pink with a hint of blue. Just a hint. And 64 palmiers filled with Provolone, fried banana shallots and Jamón Ibérico from La Bodega. I’ll pick them up at 6 o’clock. I need to rent 30 red Christmas plates as well..., traditional decor but with a modern Scandinavian twist. Stylishly modest. I’m sure that’s not a problem. See you in a few hours. Ta’dah!'

My plans for the day include starting beef stew and corn cakes for Craig to finish as I have to work this afternoon until early evening.

Also, I'll be starting some of the yeasted puff pastry Morning Glory posted a recipe for. I got a craving for croissants and pain au chocolat because of the challenge, and also had an idea for an appy for the challenge.

Went to the breakfast cafe one town down, so I could do some Internet from my phone that doesn't seem to want to go through my phone up here at home - for example the clothing for today photo I took from my phone refused to upload from home. Somehow my phone will do most simple texts from here, but that's it. Ate a spinach, tomato and fried egg sandwich in English muffin, along with sausage sides. And coffee.

Took some nice photos of wild turkeys while driving home - I MAY be allowed by my phone to post them later. We shall see.

As for plans: A total cleanout of the poultry nursery in the basement - ie the room I'd build down there as my Workshop (for art, stained glass, photo studio and so forth, but which so far has housed the chicken and quail brooders, and still houses adult quail until i can get the official outdoor quail coop here.)

Will be switching my remaining cat over to kidney disease formula food. (I spent most of yesterday afternoon taking her down to the vet's, hurry up and waiting, while they took her indoors and left me outside.) She also has an ear infection so she has drops to take twice a day, now. (The cat in the front in my avatar photo is her.)

I may go to town hall and vote today, to get the task over with. Alas, the last day to register in this state was last Saturday, and I didn't bring her (Serenity) in for registering. She turns 19 on November 11 this year.

It is raining out, so doing some chicken coop work is not going to happen - I need to preserve some wood flooring for the new coop's run, and this will not be workable in the rain. Laundry, instead. Also I will be making Menudo soup, I think, assuming I really do have all the ingredients. Because other than voting, I'm not going out again. (There are no markets in my town.)

I may do something simple but fun for the puff pastry challenge.

Here's my plan for today:
View attachment 49189
'TastyReuben’s Catering Service'.

'Good afternoon. I’d like to order some nibblings for our Christmas tea party. 50, no 60 Danish pastries with Hungarian almond paste and Estonian butter. Yes, Estonian butter. I’ve heard it’s the best. And then 40 vanilla curd cupcakes made from REAL vanilla beans and organic eggs… from Gasper Family Farm, unquestionably. I’d like you to garnish them with mauve pansy petals and gummy bears cut in halves from head to paw. Not sideways! And only green gummy bears – or red if they’ve run out of the green ones. Two gummy bears, FOUR pieces per cupcake. The pansies… Mauve. NO, NO it’s not pink, blue or purple. A greyish broken shade of pink with a hint of blue. Just a hint. And 64 palmiers filled with Provolone, fried banana shallots and Jamón Ibérico from La Bodega. I’ll pick them up at 6 o’clock. I need to rent 30 red Christmas plates as well..., traditional decor but with a modern Scandinavian twist. Stylishly modest. I’m sure that’s not a problem. See you in a few hours. Ta’dah!'
I had to give you a "love" for that instead of just a "laugh," because that's brilliant!

Here's the thing... Morning Glory could probably actually pull that off. I could make a good start, but after gummies...

Yes, but, unfortunately, there generally comes a time when family can't do it all by themselves.

Yes I know. I'm taking it one step at a time. He is very benign and easy to manage as long as he doesn't drink too much but I'm aware that could change. I appreciate the replies from everyone here who has offered their experience of dealing with dementia.

I'm sorry for letting this thread go off topic. I would move posts to other threads but its too complicated to disentangle them. So - can we all please now stay on topic with 'Plans for today'. If anyone else wants to post about dementia or any other topic, please start a new thread. :okay:

I had to give you a "love" for that instead of just a "laugh," because that's brilliant!

Here's the thing... Morning Glory could probably actually pull that off. I could make a good start, but after gummies...

After seeing Will Ferrell in a white t-shirt in a vibrating chair, I have to watch a) Jim Carrey playing an AIDS victim in "I Love You Phillip Morris" and b) the same bigmouth pulling Jeff Daniels' leg in this:

A great plan for the rest of the day 💪.

Those sound like what a person says...just before the ceiling collapses. :laugh:

Called off work today. I know I've got to get some laundry done, but mainly just planning sitting on my fat azz after the frustration of not finding any Christmas plates this weekend. MrsT mentioned Bed, Bath, And Beyond, a place I'd forgotten about (I thought they went out of business years ago), so I may try there today.

Bed, Bath & Beyond is still around. It is one of my favorite stores. I have two or three of their 20-percent off any single item coupons, so I need to go there before they expire. Although, some cashiers will take them even if they are expired. Some won't -- and you don't know until you go to check out.

They list Spode and Lennox Christmas plates at their website. My sister has a full 8-piece set of the Spode plates. They also have red plaid and green plaid plates.

CD

Bed, Bath & Beyond is still around. It is one of my favorite stores. I have two or three of their 20-percent off any single item coupons, so I need to go there before they expire. Although, some cashiers will take them even if they are expired. Some won't -- and you don't know until you go to check out.

They list Spode and Lennox Christmas plates at their website. My sister has a full 8-piece set of the Spode plates. They also have red plaid and green plaid plates.

CD

We have bed bath and beyond here as well. I've never been in one. My wife on the other hand?

Russ

I ended up staying home, walking on the treadmill (the usual three miles) and did some Christmas shopping online instead.

I have two nieces who are Disney park freaks, and there's a candle company that sells candles that smell like different areas of the parks, so I figured out what areas they like best and bought them each a candle. It's not meant to be a serious gift, just something fun and weird from their uncle who's fun and weird.

...and I just bought my wife a Marvin The Martian sleep shirt and a German-made glass Christmas ornament...of a cream puff (her favorite dessert).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom