Status
Not open for further replies.
Eat Sleep Repeat a fact of life.
1603793302236.png
1603793335856.png
1603793359718.png
Snot Blocks bottom left .
1603793387102.png

Yep - pants in the UK means underwear (also known as briefs or knickers). Men and women wear trousers.
It can also mean something that stupid or no good, like "That TV show was pants! Complete rubbish!" There's a British person I talk with occasionally on another forum and she'll use that meaning every so often.

And just to add another American meaning - it can also mean someone has snuck up behind you, in public, and pulled your trousers/pants down, as a way of embarrassing (em-bare-assing?!) you in front of others.

It can also mean something that stupid or no good, like "That TV show was pants! Complete rubbish!" There's a British person I talk with occasionally on another forum and she'll use that meaning every so often.

And just to add another American meaning - it can also mean someone has snuck up behind you, in public, and pulled your trousers/pants down, as a way of embarrassing (em-bare-assing?!) you in front of others.

Being pantsed is a verb form of pants. Nobody ever successfully achieved that with me. One guy came close in High School PE (gym class). He got my gym shorts below my hips before I grabbed them (I was always vigilant). I pulled them up and kicked the guy in the cajones.

CD

Pulling someones underpants up is to give them a wedgie. It hails from Anthony Wedgwood Benn because it can damage your gongs. Ie Big Ben gongs.

Just ordered a British wall calendar for Christmas for MrsT. She gets one every year, for her office, so it won't be a surprise, but she'd be mad if I didn't get her one.

Researching a couple of more gifts today...

...and I just bought my wife a Marvin The Martian sleep shirt and a German-made glass Christmas ornament...of a cream puff (her favorite dessert).
Maybe Mrs T can buy you these as a return gift.
mar.jpg

Mom & I went to the cinema to watch and listen (Tchaikovsky) a recorded Sleeping Beauty ballet broadcast from La Scala/Teatro alla Scala. Just four people in the audience so we didn't have to worry about someone coughing. A wonderful performance with luscious costumes and brilliant dancers. Late lunch in a Spanish bistro afterwards. I'll go through the latest challenge entries in the evening and make a grocery list for tomorrow.
sle.JPG

Photo source

Another Christmas present bought.

There's a conservation group that "sells" titles in Scotland - it's just a marketing strategy to get donations for the wildlife reserves they manage, you donate some money, they send you a certificate that says you're the laird or lady of a couple of square feet of land in the reserve.

I got one for MrsT, because she'll get a kick out of it and it's appropriate for a travel guru's office, but it was kind of annoying getting it done.

They have a US site, dollars and all that, so I went through, made a donation, submitted all the information for her "title," went to pay, and my credit card always does a two-way authorization - when the card is run, they immediately send me a text with a code, and then I put in the code on the payment screen, and it all goes through.

Except this time, it didn't.

I called the US-listed number for customer service, and the wonderful woman said that it was most likely an issue with my card, to call the card company, and see if they could help.

I called the card company, and the automated system told me I had a suspicious charge (the charge I'd just made, flagged because it was to a Scottish company) and walked me through the steps to approve it, but once it was approved, it didn't say whether I needed to run it again, or if "approved" meant they released it and all was good, so I had to wait and speak to a person.

Now, I was doing all this outside, to keep prying ears from sussing out what I was up to, and just as I got the credit card guy on the phone, MrsT came flying out of the door, like her butt was on fire, jumping up and down, yelling, and waving her phone at me.

I quickly held up my hand in the international symbol of "back off, boogalo," so she just kept jumping up and down and saying, "GET OFF THE PHONE! WE'VE BEEN HACKED! WE'VE BEEN HACKED!"

I think I've mentioned before that her greatest fear is having her identity stolen and the bank accounts emptied. She has nightmares over it.

After I talked with the credit card guy (who told me I did have to rerun the transaction, so that was another call back to those folks), I went inside and interrupted MrsT's nervous breakdown. She showed me her phone, which had her email up, which showed...a notice from the credit card company of "suspicious activity" - namely, the charge I just ran through.

I was irritated because it had the name of the group and what it was for and how much it was emblazoned all over it, but MrsT assured me she was so upset, she didn't see anything past the giant red flashing FRAUD ALERT banner in the email.

But that's all sorted now, so that's good. :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom