Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is work, of course, but tonight is our fancy-pants Christmas meal out at this supper club:

The Paragon Supper Club | Restaurant | Dayton, OH

Is that a work do? I note no vegan or vegetarian options at all except for sides of vegetables. This would be very unusual in the UK - every menu everywhere now has vegetarian and usually vegan options if not entire menus.

What does this mean - it appears on the 'a la carte' menu?

Is that a work do?
No, not at all. Our employer here stopped doing that years ago. Instead, they give managers X amount of dollars per person to do "something" for the holidays, and since we all work from home now and are spread across three states, we get a box of cookies. :(

You can have your entree meat seasoned with blackened seasoning and then...blackened (quick sear to cook the seasoning).

I'm anticipating a "What is blackened seasoning?" response ( :) ), so...

"Blackening seasoning is a mixture of chili powders, spices and herbs, very similar to Cajun and Creole seasonings. The most typical ingredients include a mixture of chili pepper, garlic and onion powder, black pepper, oregano and thyme, along with salt, though many variations exists from cook to cook."

That's from chilipeppermadness.com.

The menu is right out of the 70's. should be good if they know how to cook which I've found hit and miss.
They definitely do a good job, it's our usual "special occasion" place, we've been going there for about 15 years, a few times a year, but the last time we've been was December 2019.

Is that a work do? I note no vegan or vegetarian options at all except for sides of vegetables. This would be very unusual in the UK - every menu everywhere now has vegetarian and usually vegan options if not entire menus.

View attachment 76767

At some restaurants, particularly Prime Steakhouses in the US, the sides are a la carte. You choose your steak, and choose your sides from a list.

CD

As a Brit, currently in the USA, where people love their meat, steak, meat, steak, grilled meat, grilled steak, I´d say vegetarian and vegan options on a traditional menu are pretty few and far between. No offence to either side; less than 0,5% of the US population is vegan, and I believe the percentage is about the same in the UK.
Vegetarians, perhaps, are a greater percentage - 7% of the UK population, something similar in the USA?
And my question to myself ( as a vegetarian, most of my life) is: why on earth should restaurants have to cater to minorities? Yes, I know that sounds harsh, but why would a restaurant have a Vegan if they don´t have a Kosher, Halal or Strict Hindu option?

And my question to myself ( as a vegetarian, most of my life) is: why on earth should restaurants have to cater to minorities? Yes, I know that sounds harsh, but why would a restaurant have a Vegan if they don´t have a Kosher, Halal or Strict Hindu option?

It does sound harsh put that way, but I know what you meant. It makes sense for a restaurant serving Asian cuisine (for example) to have some vegan/vegetarian offerings. But, a Steakhouse? People don't go to a Steakhouse for the vegetables.

CD

As a Brit, currently in the USA, where people love their meat, steak, meat, steak, grilled meat, grilled steak, I´d say vegetarian and vegan options on a traditional menu are pretty few and far between. No offence to either side; less than 0,5% of the US population is vegan, and I believe the percentage is about the same in the UK.
Vegetarians, perhaps, are a greater percentage - 7% of the UK population, something similar in the USA?
Guilt and political correctness mostly. Vegans, but not all, take the moral high ground and try to make people feel guilty and demand restaurants offer specific foods and with the ever growing social media the way it is today it's a driving factor why it's tolerated. A similar customer has emerged as well and those are the newly indoctrinated gluten intolerant/sensitive.

For some restaurants it's not high on their radar, the negative press or customer base really doesn't care and they're not really effected. Others it does matter and some embrace it. 11 Madison Park, the #1 restaurant in the world a few years ago is now after extensive renovations a completely vegan establishment and has a 335.00 tasting menu. Again depending on the owners and they type of restaurant they are, the commitment will be adjusted accordingly.

As a chef, a restaurant owner and extensive working experience I look at this as a huge positive. I've cooked vegetarian all my life but of course cooking vegan requires the hand book of rules along with the culinary know how, which is a separate journey regarding vegan and the desire and passion to make that happen and have been making vegan offerings for 25 years. I've really enjoyed pushing my culinary limits including skill to accommodate the nutritional and taste requirements that are expected as well. My opinion of the food is very positive but the customer, not so much. Cheers!

It seems that 14% of the UK follow a 'non meat' diet*. This includes vegans, vegetarians and pescatarians. In addition to this a further large percentage are eating more 'plant based' meals. The supermarket 'ready meal' aisles and home delivery 'meal kits' are testimony to that. In this country producing and serving plant based cuisine in restaurants pays off!

*UK diet trends 2021 | Finder UK

It seems that 14% of the UK follow a 'non meat' diet*. This includes vegans, vegetarians and pescatarians. In addition to this a further large percentage are eating more 'plant based' meals. The supermarket 'ready meal' aisles and home delivery 'meal kits' are testimony to that. In this country producing and serving plant based cuisine in restaurants pays off!

I thought it was much higher than 7%.. I know a few years back I read it was something like ⅕th of the population (UK) but I can't give sources because I can't remember where I read it, so hasn't said anything what with everything going on (yesterday as it is now in eastern Australia) .

I wasn't aware fish products are now classified as a non meat product and I suspect that includes shell fish, interesting point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom