Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post these pics from last night's meal here instead of the usual place, since the discussion started here.

The menu:

Normally, they have nice leather(ish)-bound menus, so I'm assuming this is a COVID allowance.

Remember how we were talking in the COVID topic about how everything seems to be touched by the virus and it's rather wearing at times? This is exactly what I mean.

Cocktail time - old fashioned for me, amaretto sour for MrsMe:

Starters after that. I had French onion soup and she had the shrimp cocktail:

I did ask for my soup to be allowed to stay under the broiler a bit longer than usual, and they very much obliged. :laugh:

Salad, which isn't all that exciting, but it was part of the meal, so here goes:

Entrees and sides - 18oz ribeye for me, along with béarnaise sauce (not pictured), chili butter, and French-fried onion threads.

Twin lobster tails and a midget filet for MrsT, along with the onions. We both had the hashbrown potatoes, and I had steamed broccoli for my green veg and she had creamed spinach.

Looking at the three posts above I honestly don't know where you both put it all! I couldn't eat a fraction of that meal. The ribeye looks good.
I was anticipating that, so now I'll fill you in on the details:

We each ate some bread and butter with our cocktails (bread basket contained warm white rolls, wheat rolls, and salt rye sticks that looked a lot like 💩...and that's the one I had :laugh:).

We both ate our salads and all of our starters.

MrsT had both the lobster tails (small), and one bite of her steak, and the creamed spinach. She brought home nearly all the steak and all of her potatoes.

I had half my steak, all of my potatoes, and all of my broccoli, and the fried onions, bringing home just the other half of the steak.

We also had a drink each with the meal (wine for her, beer for me).

The cheesecake...the perspective on that pic doesn't do it justice. It was massive. The server even commented jokingly that, "...if that's not big enough, I can send it back!"

We had probably less than half of that and brought it home as well...so supper tonight is sorted!

I had to laugh at the couple sat next to us. They were easily in their '80's, and I must admit, the woman was still quite strikingly beautiful - she looked like Zoey Deschanel if she were 100yo.

Anyway, enough about that...this very slight woman had three of the peppermint martinis - meaning a peppermint-flavored vodka drink with a scoop of peppermint ice cream in it.

She had three of those. :eek:

Then she ordered the Wagyu beef, which was easily three inches thick, along with a baked potato (with sour cream, etc), and she ordered a second entree of the salmon! I'm assuming that was to take home, but still...she looked like she weighed 100lbs at the most, and she was working that beef for all she was worth! And the three drinks which were really more like desserts.

They plated that salmon instead of wrapping it immediately, so now I'm thinking she ate at least some of it. :eek:

And she had two rolls! I thought she was wonderful, because a lot of people would have been embarrassed to order so much food and look gluttonous, but she didn't care a bit.

Salad, which isn't all that exciting, but it was part of the meal, so here goes:
View attachment 76835
Entrees and sides - 18oz ribeye for me, along with béarnaise sauce (not pictured), chili butter, and French-fried onion threads.

Twin lobster tails and a midget filet for MrsT, along with the onions. We both had the hashbrown potatoes, and I had steamed broccoli for my green veg and she had creamed spinach. View attachment 76836
View attachment 76837View attachment 76838
How big was that Fillet?

I was anticipating that, so now I'll fill you in on the details:

We each ate some bread and butter with our cocktails (bread basket contained warm white rolls, wheat rolls, and salt rye sticks that looked a lot like 💩...and that's the one I had :laugh:).

We both ate our salads and all of our starters.

MrsT had both the lobster tails (small), and one bite of her steak, and the creamed spinach. She brought home nearly all the steak and all of her potatoes.

I had half my steak, all of my potatoes, and all of my broccoli, and the fried onions, bringing home just the other half of the steak.

We also had a drink each with the meal (wine for her, beer for me).

The cheesecake...the perspective on that pic doesn't do it justice. It was massive. The server even commented jokingly that, "...if that's not big enough, I can send it back!"

We had probably less than half of that and brought it home as well...so supper tonight is sorted!

I had to laugh at the couple sat next to us. They were easily in their '80's, and I must admit, the woman was still quite strikingly beautiful - she looked like Zoey Deschanel if she were 100yo.

Anyway, enough about that...this very slight woman had three of the peppermint martinis - meaning a peppermint-flavored vodka drink with a scoop of peppermint ice cream in it.

She had three of those. :eek:

Then she ordered the Wagyu beef, which was easily three inches thick, along with a baked potato (with sour cream, etc), and she ordered a second entree of the salmon! I'm assuming that was to take home, but still...she looked like she weighed 100lbs at the most, and she was working that beef for all she was worth! And the three drinks which were really more like desserts.

They plated that salmon instead of wrapping it immediately, so now I'm thinking she ate at least some of it. :eek:

And she had two rolls! I thought she was wonderful, because a lot of people would have been embarrassed to order so much food and look gluttonous, but she didn't care a bit.

I'm somewhat reassured, And its really good that they are happy to 'doggy bag' food for you to take home. I've done that here many a time!

I'm somewhat reassured, And its really good that they are happy to 'doggy bag' food for you to take home. I've done that here many a time!
I think I mentioned it before so I'll keep it short, but when we moved to the UK in 1992, one of our "cultural awareness" classes covered restaurant differences, and one thing they mentioned was that doggy bags were very much not the norm in the UK at the time, and to not expect it.

Sure enough, we forgot that, and during our first "nice" meal out, we asked for a doggy bag for the leftovers, and the waiter looked at us like we had three heads, but also did his best to accommodate us, bringing our food back out to us in one of the cooks' metal mixing bowls!

We were so embarrassed that we'd forgotten that, and I promised to bring the bowl back (which I did), even though he kept saying not to bother about it.

It seems that 14% of the UK follow a 'non meat' diet*. This includes vegans, vegetarians and pescatarians. In addition to this a further large percentage are eating more 'plant based' meals. The supermarket 'ready meal' aisles and home delivery 'meal kits' are testimony to that. In this country producing and serving plant based cuisine in restaurants pays off!

*UK diet trends 2021 | Finder UK

Let's assume it is 15%. If you own a restaurant, and your best selling entrees are meat based, and 15% (at most) of your sales go to plant based entrees, what are you likely to do? At the most, you might offer one or two plant based entrees. It it were my restaurant, those entrees would use ingredients that I can also use in salad courses or as sides for meats (reduce food waste). If my reataurant is a Steakhouse, I'm not going to waste any time or money (or food ingredients) on plant-based entrees.

Here in Frisco, there are dozens of good restaurants that either offer vegetarian/vegan options, or ONLY serve vegan food. I certainly wouldn't go to a vegan restaurant and get miffed because there are no meat options.

CD

Let's assume it is 15%. If you own a restaurant, and your best selling entrees are meat based, and 15% (at most) of your sales go to plant based entrees, what are you likely to do? At the most, you might offer one or two plant based entrees. It it were my restaurant, those entrees would use ingredients that I can also use in salad courses or as sides for meats (reduce food waste).

That makes sense. The other factor which can turn a profit is that plant based ingredients tend to be cheaper than meat/fish etc. and some have a much longer 'shelf life'. Add to that a generous mark-up on the finished dish and it could be quite profitable. There are plenty of 'starters' or even mains (entrees in the US) which by there very nature are vegetarian and people might well order without thinking consciously trying to order vegetarian - risotto for example. In fact, there are numerous 'classic' Italian and dishes which don't involve meat. Lots of 'classic' Indian dishes too.

Here, most steak houses will have some vegetarian option but probably not so many options as other restaurants.

My point really was that there must be a profit in the UK - the supermarkets here have lots of vegetarian and vegan fresh 'ready meals' . 'Ready meals' are much more prevalent here than in the UK than almost anywhere else and some are are actually quite good. Tescos currently stocks 168 different vegetarian ready meals. People must be buying them or they wouldn't stock them.

That makes sense. The other factor which can turn a profit is that plant based ingredients tend to be cheaper than meat/fish etc. and some have a much longer 'shelf life'. Add to that a generous mark-up on the finished dish and it could be quite profitable. There are plenty of 'starters' or even mains (entrees in the US) which by there very nature are vegetarian and people might well order without thinking consciously trying to order vegetarian - risotto for example. In fact, there are numerous 'classic' Italian and dishes which don't involve meat. Lots of 'classic' Indian dishes too.

Here, most steak houses will have some vegetarian option but probably not so many options as other restaurants.

My point really was that there must be a profit in the UK - the supermarkets here have lots of vegetarian and vegan fresh 'ready meals' . 'Ready meals' are much more prevalent here than in the UK than almost anywhere else and some are are actually quite good. Tescos currently stocks 168 different vegetarian ready meals. People must be buying them or they wouldn't stock them.

Vegetarian/vegan food is much more available in grocery stores here. Obviously, the produce department is ALL vegetarian. There are also whole freezers full of plant-based meat substitutes. I don't know about ready made meals -- I don't ever look at those.

CD

Today we are off to the pub for a turkey dinner and Christmas pudding with Lu's sister.
Enjoy!

Will they have a set menu, since it's Christmas, or will it just be a la carte? We used to love how at Christmas, a lot of the pubs which switch out their regular menu for a special fixed price Christmas menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom