Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was known as a teenager for being barefoot all the time (expect when hiking). I'd quite happily drive barefoot as well, but would normally remember to take some cloth shoes with me. However I wasn't that good at remembering and often turned up at the supermarket or local Spar with no shoes. The local supermarket put a stop to it after a while with the security guard physically stopping me entry, even when I'd clearly walked the mile and a half to the shop. The local Spar would just tell me if they'd had a breakage and ask me to not go down the isle, offering to get me what I needed instead.

But in my early 30s I developed Morton's Nueroma in both feet very badly (from a design change in my normal shoe, thank you Echo). The result was that I couldn't walk unless my feet didn't flex at all. It was better in my hiking boots but great inmy mountaineering boots (both with custom orthotics from an amazing NZ podiatrist who saved me from needing surgery). 2 years of wearing only those, unless I was sleeping prevented surgery and kept me on my feet literally. But around the same time I was also (finally) diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. Something that had plagued me through my teenage years with so many ankle injuries and even a breakage in 3 places on one occasion.

I had started tho walk around barefoot again in the last few years, but I have less hip pain if I stick with my orthotics and since finding a scorpion in our sitting room (actually a sign of a healthy habitat) I'm less inclined now to walk around without at least slippers on.

I was known as a teenager for being barefoot all the time (expect when hiking). I'd quite happily drive barefoot as well, but would normally remember to take some cloth shoes with me. However I wasn't that good at remembering and often turned up at the supermarket or local Spar with no shoes. The local supermarket put a stop to it after a while with the security guard physically stopping me entry, even when I'd clearly walked the mile and a half to the shop. The local Spar would just tell me if they'd had a breakage and ask me to not go down the isle, offering to get me what I needed instead.

But in my early 30s I developed Morton's Nueroma in both feet very badly (from a design change in my normal shoe, thank you Echo). The result was that I couldn't walk unless my feet didn't flex at all. It was better in my hiking boots but great inmy mountaineering boots (both with custom orthotics from an amazing NZ podiatrist who saved me from needing surgery). 2 years of wearing only those, unless I was sleeping prevented surgery and kept me on my feet literally. But around the same time I was also (finally) diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome. Something that had plagued me through my teenage years with so many ankle injuries and even a breakage in 3 places on one occasion.

I had started tho walk around barefoot again in the last few years, but I have less hip pain if I stick with my orthotics and since finding a scorpion in our sitting room (actually a sign of a healthy habitat) I'm less inclined now to walk around without at least slippers on.

I keep jandals/ thongs in our cars for emergency if I need to put footwear on. Our local supermarket is close to a university so students are always in there barefoot. No one bats an eyelid.

Russ

As I’m home today and have only to manage some working phone calls (that sometimes are worst than being in office), and as the sun is shining - 25 C - I’ll surely will go out for a long run in the afternoon and that means a light lunch..
I’ll also keep reading book on the terrace (and remember to re-giving life to basil and sage plants) and go out for a walk through the countryside with the dog..

As I’m home today and have only to manage some working phone calls (that sometimes are worst than being in office), and as the sun is shining - 25 C - I’ll surely will go out for a long run in the afternoon and that means a light lunch..
I’ll also keep reading book on the terrace (and remember to re-giving life to basil and sage plants) and go out for a walk through the countryside with the dog..
We've just planted out basil, lots of it. Coriander/cilantro nearly ready to pick.

Russ

I’m sure you are a better gardener than me.. I’m a plants killer
I'm the same way, but at least I know why - I don't like the constant attention/maintenance that a garden requires.

I want to plant 'em then forget 'em until time to pick. That's why I can just about manage a small herb garden, and even that's touch-and-go (my dill lasted about two weeks before giving up the ghost). That's why I like flowers - the most I have to do with them is the occasional watering.

Today, it was a wonderfully refreshing 48F upon rising, expected high of 69F (compared to 91F yesterday). Yay! According to the local news, we set six high temp records this summer. Six!

Plans include laundry (I'm a day behind on that), going into town for meds and groceries, it's also a work day, and I'm going to try like hell to get the damn floor vacuumed. That's about 10 days past due.

I'm the same way, but at least I know why - I don't like the constant attention/maintenance that a garden requires.

I want to plant 'em then forget 'em until time to pick. That's why I can just about manage a small herb garden, and even that's touch-and-go (my dill lasted about two weeks before giving up the ghost). That's why I like flowers - the most I have to do with them is the occasional watering.

Today, it was a wonderfully refreshing 48F upon rising, expected high of 69F (compared to 91F yesterday). Yay! According to the local news, we set six high temp records this summer. Six!

Plans include laundry (I'm a day behind on that), going into town for meds and groceries, it's also a work day, and I'm going to try like hell to get the damn floor vacuumed. That's about 10 days past due.

I don’t know why but I’m convinced that plants can survive on their own, and of course I’m wrong..I think that this is a sort of excuses I tell to myself. I’m lazy about them and distracted, but then I wonder ‘why they are so sick...?!’ It seems to me to listen them say to me ‘oh sorry if we need to be watered, you know, we are spoiled’.

Yes, flowers, I also can manage them easily....so far

I don’t know why but I’m convinced that plants can survive on their own, and of course I’m wrong..I think that this is a sort of excuses I tell to myself. I’m lazy about them and distracted, but then I wonder ‘why they are so sick...?!’ It seems to me to listen them say to me ‘oh sorry if we need to be watered, you know, we are spoiled’.

Yes, flowers, I also can manage them easily....so far
One of the other things I dislike is that it seems as much art as science. When I put out my herb garden this year, the basil was looking kind of pale green, not that vibrant green I always see in pictures.

I googled that, and the answer I got was, "Your basil may be pale for one of two reasons: it's either gotten too much water, or not enough water."

Well, that's not helpful. So what's the right amount, google?

"The right amount of water will be determined by your area. When your basil shows a bright green, you've got the right amount of water."

ARRRRGGGHHH! 🤬

Basically, my basil was pale because I was watering it too much. Or not enough. But no worries, I'll just need to water it enough to make it green, and once it's green, it'll be green. Easy! 🤦🏻‍♂️

We have bought an indoor run for our guinea boys, a house and litter tray so they can spend time downstairs with us, they won't get much chance to go outside now, so will get it all set up and see how they get on with it.

I ended up taking the day off. I'm sure that hasn't gone over well, as I've been working odd hours with all the appointments lately.

I was up half the night with the wife (god love her, but she's the world's worst patient) and the other half with the dog, and I've managed to pick up a helluva cold, and considering I haven't really slept much since the 23rd, my a(r)s/e is dragging the floor today, and I've got a full slate of things to do, including that all-consuming task of laundry.

So I used a sick day today.

One of the other things I dislike is that it seems as much art as science. When I put out my herb garden this year, the basil was looking kind of pale green, not that vibrant green I always see in pictures.

I googled that, and the answer I got was, "Your basil may be pale for one of two reasons: it's either gotten too much water, or not enough water."

Well, that's not helpful. So what's the right amount, google?

"The right amount of water will be determined by your area. When your basil shows a bright green, you've got the right amount of water."

ARRRRGGGHHH! 🤬

Basically, my basil was pale because I was watering it too much. Or not enough. But no worries, I'll just need to water it enough to make it green, and once it's green, it'll be green. Easy! 🤦🏻‍♂️

It can drive you crazy, I know.

But I had never heard of a pale green basil, either because of too much water or not. Mine just dies, without warning. What arrogance!
However, I saved the sage today, I am proud.

Maybe we should open a new thread 'Plan(t)s for today?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom