Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, it's kind of hard, because I have to first see what they have in the shops, then go from there.

That means I'll find, say, chicken thighs, I'll get those, then I'll come home and start looking through recipes, find one, but it'll have some ingredient I don't have, and I don't want to go back out to get it.

I"m lucky because I always cook this way - I never use recipes at all really. I find it far more interesting to look at what I've got or what's available and be creative.

Cooking a piece of turkey crown that has been in the freezer since Christmas. I think next week will be a week of turkey leftover meals. Apart from tomorrow night, when we are going to try to replicate a lamb dish from yesterday's Great British Menu.

I"m lucky because I always cook this way - I never use recipes at all really. I find it far more interesting to look at what I've got or what's available and be creative.
This might sound like I'm making a joke, but I'm not:

I like using a recipe because if I follow it and it turns out badly, I can rightfully blame the recipe/recipe developer. If I make it up myself and it turns out poorly, I only have as far as the closest mirror to find who's to blame.

Also, I probably don't trust my instincts enough. Even if something I made up myself were really good, I'd have this nagging little voice in the back of my head saying, "If you'd only done this instead of that, it would be a lot better..."

I"m going to mix up a Bananas Foster bread pudding today and let it sit overnight to meld, then bake tomorrow to have warm with ice cream and the Bananas Foster sauce that goes with it, kind of a boozy caramel. We've still got 1 serving each of the New York cheesecake to finish off.

One evening, myself and two colleagues were trapped in a traffic jam until almost 20:00 hours without any "happy hour" beer ordered. The handphone was purchased the next day to permit me to call the bar staff to ensure sufficient beer for the evening was ordered prior to 19:30.

As a sequel to this story, I was in the bar one evening and I'd ordered too many beers for the evening. I asked the bar manager (Jaswan) if I could carry forward the extra beers for the next evening. "Oh, yes if you must, but it will not be written down so you must agree it verbally with one of the barstaff who will be working tomorrow" he said. Of course, I needed to settle the bill that night as the till was electronic.

A few weeks later I realised that I hadn't ordered enough beer for the evening and said to Jaswan "do you remember that you allowed me to carry forward my beers to the following evening a couple of weeks ago? Well, guess what?" "I know exactly what you are going to ask," he said, "you'll get me the sack!"

He was a good friend.

Also, I probably don't trust my instincts enough.

Having seen your food, I can only say you should trust your instincts. Some people can follow a recipe and still mess it up. Its about 'feel' more than accuracy. Maybe you should try making at least one 'free fall' meal per week.

Having seen your food, I can only say you should trust your instincts. Some people can follow a recipe and still mess it up. Its about 'feel' more than accuracy. Maybe you should try making at least one 'free fall' meal per week.
I am really not good at following recipes, which is probably why I'm no good at baking. I tend to use them as inspiration, but then do my own thing based on instinct and taste. I think the whole principle of recipes is fundamentally flawed. Give the same recipe to ten different people, and they will all produce something different. The flavour of individual ingredients will vary tremendously, as will standards of cooking equipment.

That's the little beastie I fight with once a week to get the grass mowed. I both despise and am thankful for it. :)
George recently purchased a new mower. His old mower is a lawn tractor that is over 20 years old. The last 2 or 3 years he has to fiddle with it every time he mows. I have been suggesting that he get a new mower now, while he is still working. Mowers are expensive and not something you want to have to replace on a retirement income.
This spring he finally got a new mower. He got a Snapper ZTR (zero turn radius) It has the engine he wanted and a welded deck. He is like a kid with a new toy. It is so fast he thinks he is a race driver. He is so cute on his mower.

Wow. Grass is mowed, bread is in the oven, and four meals are more or less planned. I've impressed myself. 🦸🏻‍♂️

George recently purchased a new mower. His old mower is a lawn tractor that is over 20 years old. The last 2 or 3 years he has to fiddle with it every time he mows. I have been suggesting that he get a new mower now, while he is still working. Mowers are expensive and not something you want to have to replace on a retirement income.
This spring he finally got a new mower. He got a Snapper ZTR (zero turn radius) It has the engine he wanted and a welded deck. He is like a kid with a new toy. It is so fast he thinks he is a race driver. He is so cute on his mower.
Snappers are good mowers. Pricey, but they last forever. My granddad mowed a four-acre yard with a basic Snapper and kept the same one for a good 20 years.

As little as possible.
The second load of laundry is in the washer.
I planted the second 4 squares of bean seeds. The seeds planted in my starter pots did not germinate well, old seeds. I planted more. I am still waiting for my seed order to come in.
I need to clean the oven. IDK what but something spilled and the bottom is a hot mess.

The bread pudding is in the fridge. Pulled the dead weed and stems from previous plants out of the pots, then planted some Everglades tomato seeds as they are native and will tolerate the heat. Also planted some shisho seeds as they do good in heat as long as they get enough water. Also some shishito peppers. I planted some old rainbow chard seeds that I found when doing some cleaning out, but I don't know if they will germinate as they are 2 years old. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom