Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the little beastie I fight with once a week to get the grass mowed. I both despise and am thankful for it. :)

This is so much grass you have to mow. Its like a playing field. I don't really understand why so many Americans have all this grass when its such a pain to keep neat. Sorry - not being rude. It simply puzzles me. Do you use all this grassy space?

Do you use all this grassy space?
Yeah...to mow! :laugh:

Seriously, it's less about using the space as it is about having the space, if that makes sense, especially to MrsTasty. We both grew up on a bit of acreage, and we don't like having the neighbors too close. That's about 1/3rd of our total yard.

We have had various gardens, though quite small, over the years, but the best thing I've ever done with it was to let about half of what's in that picture go to weed. It gave something for the critters to live in, and entertained our dog for the few years I did that.

Several years ago, I was (seriously) in the process of building my own Stonehenge-inspired circle - I had marked it out and laid out pavers around the perimeter, using our fire pit as the center. I had grand ideas of little stone statues of mystical creatures ringing it, and setting out benches like the inner stones, but then MrsTasty got sick and I had to abandon that. :(

Several years ago, I was (seriously) in the process of building my own Stonehenge-inspired circle - I had marked it out and laid out pavers around the perimeter, using our fire pit as the center. I had grand ideas of little stone statues of mystical creatures ringing it, and setting out benches like the inner stones, but then MrsTasty got sick and I had to abandon that. :(

Maybe that is for the best? :giggle: :whistling: Sorry, I don't mean about MrsTasty getting sick.

Oh alright then. I can now imagine it as quite a soothing place to be in these times. Either that or a place for wicked witchcraft in the dead of night. Maybe you should go for it after all.
When I was in the middle of laying it out, I'd just put up the first little concrete statue (a morel mushroom), and one of my nephews showed up, asked what I was doing, and after I explained, he just nodded and said, "That's what makes the aliens show up... :whistling: "

When I first relocated to work in Malaysia in '94 my boss (in UK) could contact me in the hotel because I was invariably in the bar during their daytime.

After a few weeks I didn't just stay in the hotel bar but ventured out into the clandestine establishments of Kuala Lumpur. This meant that I was not contactable during their afternoons so my boss requested that I buy a handphone. I didn't. I didn't like the idea. He nattered and nattered but I still didn't.

Eventually I did, rang him with the number and he asked what had changed my mind.

The hotel bar had a system for residents and regulars. If you placed an order for beer before 19:30 (the end of "happy hour") any amount of beer that you ordered would be charged at half price on condition that you were served and drank it during that evening, e.g. order 10 beers at 19:25 and they stayed in the pump until you were ready to drink them.

One evening, myself and two colleagues were trapped in a traffic jam until almost 20:00 hours without any "happy hour" beer ordered. The handphone was purchased the next day to permit me to call the bar staff to ensure sufficient beer for the evening was ordered prior to 19:30.

Lol, this is so me, my friend and I go to Auckland every year for the Rowe cup, a big harness race here. The local bar at the track has a lady I befriended the first night up there. Her names adele. Their happy hour is 5 to 7.30 but we get on so well, I play the I'm an earthquake survivor from Chch card. ( just after the quakes here) I persuaded her to do the same, we pre paid for like 10 drinks each ($5 double rums n cokes) and happily sat drinking cheap drinks. Anyone would think I'm Scottish? Lol.

Russ

George recently purchased a new mower. His old mower is a lawn tractor that is over 20 years old. The last 2 or 3 years he has to fiddle with it every time he mows. I have been suggesting that he get a new mower now, while he is still working. Mowers are expensive and not something you want to have to replace on a retirement income.
This spring he finally got a new mower. He got a Snapper ZTR (zero turn radius) It has the engine he wanted and a welded deck. He is like a kid with a new toy. It is so fast he thinks he is a race driver. He is so cute on his mower.

Blokes and engines, huh?

Russ

I'm biting my tongue...
I was biting my tongue, too, but I feel I have to say something.

I'm hoping you don't think I'm one of those irresponsible people who feels that we should reopen pubs, restaurants, movie theaters, and sports venues. I'm not one of those idiots who is protesting the social distancing guidelines. I have no desire to be within 6 feet of strangers who might have been within 6 feet of strangers who might have the virus. That's a completely different thing from being within 6 feet of people who I know better than anyone else.

For the record, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law have been doing the same things that my wife and I have done over the past month, namely:
  • Leaving the home only to walk the dog or buy groceries/pharmaceuticals.
  • Wearing a mask when going out in public, and washing hands and wiping things down with hand sanitizer obsessively.
  • Working from home, and not in contact with people we don't know.
My wife's mom has gone a step further, and has been to exactly 3 places in the last month: my sister-in-law's house, our house, and her family doctor. She doesn't have a permanent residence because her husband passed last July, and she sold her house soon thereafter. She's been spending a few days over here and a few days over there because she needs the emotional support of both daughters...getting over someone you've spent most of your life with isn't a quick thing for everyone. We go shopping for her so she's not put at risk. She was tested because she had a mild fever and she's in a high risk group (her age, plus she has leukemia): thankfully she doesn't have the virus.

I took my daughter to the doctor (the same doctor, in fact) because she, too, had a mild fever and is in a high risk group (because she had chemotherapy for her brain tumor in the past). She, also, doesn't have the virus.

I know I'm rationalizing here, but rather than a reckless disregard for public safety, I'd put what we did yesterday in the same category as when I drive faster than the posted speed limit. Yes, I'm breaking the law, but I'm not doing it in a way that endangers anyone. I don't speed in bad weather conditions or heavy traffic, but I do go a few MPH over the speed limit. As in those cases, if the police caught me and decided to issue a citation, I would feel like an idiot, but I would accept my punishment (whether it's speeding, or the fine of up to $1000 in Michigan for not social distancing).

In reality, I haven't heard of any police doing this: I see houses on weekends with 5 or 6 cars in front of them, and it's obvious that they don't all live there. I'd be surprised if the police punish that sort of gathering, though they could if they wanted to do so. But, I have heard about people being cited for attending a party at a bar.

I can understand why there's no stated exception for visiting family members (how would you quantify or prove what "family" means anyway?) I am ready to ride this thing out as long as it takes, but I am willing to take the risk of visiting my family from time to time. To me, the risk is that I might get a fine, and not that I'll catch the virus.

Last edited:
We live in a 55 plus community. The man across the street from us still has his DD and DGD coming to visit. Don't know his exact age, but guessing he's a few years younger than us. I see quite a few younger children out playing when I take the pugs out in the afternoon so apparently he's not the only one with visitors or taking care of grandkids while mom/dad work.

What did kind of freak us out this weekend though was seeing 2 cars with New York plates and people unloading sleeping bags, suitcases, etc from them at a house just around the corner from us. Then later saw a stranger walking a new dog in the big open area behind our house and the houses on the next street over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom