Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 2 of craptacular training at work. They've taken five days of training and crammed it into three, which means they're flying through material, and constantly running over on every module and every break. That ought to be a huge red flag that they haven't allotted enough time for this. 😒

It's supposed to start raining soon and rain right up into tomorrow. I can look out the window and see it slowly rolling in.

Making the weekly shopping trip later. 11 pantry items I need (meaning no perishables), and Kroger has...one item available to ship, and it's not even the brand I want. Why do they even bother to offer shipping? 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 pantry items I need (meaning no perishables), and Kroger has...one item available to ship, and it's not even the brand I want. Why do they even bother to offer shipping? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe you should ask yourself if you really need them? I'm now doing this much more than I ever thought I would. There are quite a few things I can't get at the moment but to be honest I can hardly argue that I'm going to starve without them. And I'm not going to make a special trip to get them. In fact, I'm feeling quite guilty that I have so much here that I can make into meals, when I hear about some peoples' stories.

Maybe you should ask yourself if you really need them? I'm now doing this much more than I ever thought I would. There are quite a few things I can't get at the moment but to be honest I can hardly argue that I'm going to starve without them. And I'm not going to make a special trip to get them. In fact, I'm feeling quite guilty that I have so much here that I can make into meals, when I hear about some peoples' stories.
Well, I have zero milk or cream (!), no cheese (!!!), my fresh veg is down to two potatoes (slated for the dinner plate tonight), zero fresh fruit, and a single day's worth of dog food, so I'm going out regardless.

I should be clear about Kroger not having my pantry items: because they're not available in the ordering app, it doesn't mean they're not available in my local store. I have no doubt out of my 11 pantry items, I'll likely get seven or eight when I go in tonight.

I'm mainly going for the dog food and the dairy, but if I'm in the store, I may as well get as much of the other stuff as possible.

Well, I have zero milk or cream (!), no cheese (!!!), my fresh veg is down to two potatoes (slated for the dinner plate tonight), zero fresh fruit, and a single day's worth of dog food, so I'm going out regardless.

That does sound a bit 'in need' although cream I deem a luxury. I think maybe I must have been hoarding and in denial about it as I have quite a bit of cheese and also milk in the freezer. :shy:

That does sound a bit 'in need' although cream I deem a luxury. I think maybe I must have been hoarding and in denial about it as I have quite a bit of cheese and also milk in the freezer. :shy:
Well, by cream, I mean half-and-half, which is what we use for tea. I made MrsTasty's tea with milk last night, which did earn a rather boisterous thumbs-down. No mention that mine has been black the last few days (I don't even mind; I can drink tea black, white, with sugar or any combination of that, though my preference is white), just to stretch the milk.

I should be clear about Kroger not having my pantry items: because they're not available in the ordering app, it doesn't mean they're not available in my local store.
Just to follow up - online ordering, one out 11 pantry items available, and the one was a lesser-quality brand of white wine vinegar.

In the store - nine out of 11 pantry items available, including my preferred brand of white wine vinegar. The only things lacking were bread flour and yeast.

Also, shopping in-store, digital coupons apply. Ordering online, digital coupons aren't eligible. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Hey, $2.50 in savings, plus no shipping cost, which was $7 last time, I'm feeling quite flush. 💵

Today...lots of rain, last day of training at work.

I have long been writing down things I need soon, and waiting until I have enough things listed to go hit all the stores needed to get my stuff in one round trip. I do it to save gasoline ($$$) and reduce my carbon footprint.

With Covid-19, I'm taking that even farther. If I need to pick up a prescription, my pharmacy is Kroger, so I will pick up groceries while I get my meds. If I'm home, and need one item to make dinner, before Covid, I might go get it. Not now. I change dinner plans if I can't substitute my missing ingredient.

When I am out, I will sometimes go for a drive just for relaxation. Windows down, sunroofs open, run through the gears. I figure if I am alone in my car, I'm not taking any risk of spreading the virus. It's like taking my dog for a walk alone, but faster.

CD

I usually keep a pad of paper next to the computer and write items on a list whenever I think of them. When the list gets long enough or an item added to the list is considered needed in a timely manner, my wife goes to the shop(s). The shop(s) that she visits is/are generally dictated by what items are on the list (some outlets are better than others for certain items). All four food outlets that we use are within 1 km of our house as was the open market before it was closed down (the plan is that open markets will be allowed to re-open on Monday next).

I keep a running list on a chalkboard in the kitchen. Each Wednesday, I go to the shop, but just the one, unless the one I'm going to is out of something I absolutely need, like dog food. That's why last week, I had to go to three shops, which would irritate me in the best of times, let alone now.

One picky thing I really, really hate about this training I'm in:

We're supposed to get a morning break, a lunch break, an afternoon break, and then we finish at 4:30PM.

What happens is, say the 15-minute morning break is scheduled for 10AM. The facilitator will remind the presenter at 10 minutes 'til, five minutes 'til, and then at about one or two minutes 'til, the presenter will finish and the facilitator will take over, and this happens:

"Ok, guys, we've got a 15 minute break scheduled for 10AM. I want to thank everyone for staying engaged this morning and participating, and I want to thank the instructors for their effort so far, so, um, 10AM break, 15 minutes, and when we get back, we'll pick up with diagnostic interfaces, and, um, after that, we'll be looking for a couple of volunteers to run through some of this real-time, so be ready for that, and as always, ask questions and participate, this training is only successful if you contribute as well, so I want to, um, encourage that. So, 15 minute break, starting at 10AM, so come back refreshed and, you know, like ready to participate, so, yeah, uh, enjoy!"

By then, it's 10:10AM, and we've now got a five minute break. :(

High of 48F/9C, with rain and wind, so the windchill is 37F/3C...a couple of days ago it was around 80F/25C...and colder weather is coming. That's May in Ohio. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've got to make bread today, as Saturday's loaf is a bit subpar. Kind of dry and crumbly, sort of like a yeast version of Irish soda bread, if you can imagine that.

I'm also in the mood for some minor DIY and organization work in the kitchen. That hits me about once a year, and this time around, I'm think I'm going to put up a 2'x3' pegboard on a bit of unused wall, in order to hang some of my utensils. That'll take me a month to think about, and an afternoon to do. :)

I've also got to go out around the corner and get refills for some of the dog's meds today. Already called in and paid for, just need to pick up curbside.

I've got another backlog of recipes to write up/photos to edit. I really should make an effort to write up, edit photos and post the recipes before I invent and cook the next recipe. It becomes a chore otherwise.

I've listed 5 recipes/sets of photos as yet unposted. But I have a feeling there are more :ohmy:. Several are for the Recipe Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom