Plans for today (2024)

MrsT has already said whatever windfall we may get when we sell the house and move is getting rolled into a sunroom or at the very least, a motorized retractable awning. :laugh:

If she's still planning on Florida, you'll have to if you want any use out of it for more than about 3 months out of the year.

I know you don't want to move to Florida so I'll give you more ammunition. Each year as i get older, my anxiety and dread over hurricane season increases. The work of getting a home ready for a hurricane, bringing everything inside so it doesn't become projectiles, including plant pots, putting up shutters, closing awnings, pulling out the generator to see if it still works, putting it back in, waiting in line at gas stations to fill up your car and gas cans for the genny, fighting crowds at the grocery and waiting in line to check out, lugging everything in, putting it away, etc, etc.

And the thing is, she will HAVE to help because it's just too much for 1 person to do in a VERY short period of time.

Then, there's clean up after. Hopefully, it will be vegetation only, but could be much, much worse. Plus, there more than likely won't be electricity other than what your generator can provide. We have one that's powerful enough to intermittently run 2 refrigerators long enough to keep contents cool/frozen, a microwave or a buffet burner or portable induction burner, a couple of lights, and intermittently a small window air conditioner long enough to cool a room. Basically, glamping. And this could drag on for weeks depending on how bad things are. Of course that also assumes you'll still have a habitable house and all that stuff.

And, they have forecasted this upcoming season to be the most active ever! But, there's no such thing as climate warming... to cause all these weather extremes we've been having.

I know you don't want to move to Florida so I'll give you more ammunition.
Thanks for the info!

Never say never, but I think the Florida ship has sailed for her, thank goodness. She’s down there 2-3 times a year, between work and visiting her friend, and I think it finally settled in that “it’s a nice place to visit…,” as the old saying goes.

She’s very familiar with what her friend has to go through with the hurricanes, and now the home owner’s insurance rates going up so much, she’s done with that. As long as she/we can visit from time to time, maybe spend January-February there in a rental, I think that notion has passed in favor of Pennsylvania (which is why we’ve been making yearly trips over there the last few years).

IMG_8199.jpeg
IMG_8202.jpeg
Yard mowed, deck set up.

If she's still planning on Florida, you'll have to if you want any use out of it for more than about 3 months out of the year.

I know you don't want to move to Florida so I'll give you more ammunition. Each year as i get older, my anxiety and dread over hurricane season increases. The work of getting a home ready for a hurricane, bringing everything inside so it doesn't become projectiles, including plant pots, putting up shutters, closing awnings, pulling out the generator to see if it still works, putting it back in, waiting in line at gas stations to fill up your car and gas cans for the genny, fighting crowds at the grocery and waiting in line to check out, lugging everything in, putting it away, etc, etc.

And the thing is, she will HAVE to help because it's just too much for 1 person to do in a VERY short period of time.

Then, there's clean up after. Hopefully, it will be vegetation only, but could be much, much worse. Plus, there more than likely won't be electricity other than what your generator can provide. We have one that's powerful enough to intermittently run 2 refrigerators long enough to keep contents cool/frozen, a microwave or a buffet burner or portable induction burner, a couple of lights, and intermittently a small window air conditioner long enough to cool a room. Basically, glamping. And this could drag on for weeks depending on how bad things are. Of course that also assumes you'll still have a habitable house and all that stuff.

And, they have forecasted this upcoming season to be the most active ever! But, there's no such thing as climate warming... to cause all these weather extremes we've been having.
No to mention the heat and traffic congestion.

Going to :
Write up some recipes we tried out yesterday
Make sure the kitchen staff can actually make them
Work on plating/presentation. That's going to be a tough one. My client wants the dishes to look as if they came out of a French Bistro. Bit difficult sometimes when the dish has lots of sauce. Still, there's a challenge for the next 24 hours.

Going to :
Write up some recipes we tried out yesterday
Make sure the kitchen staff can actually make them
Work on plating/presentation. That's going to be a tough one. My client wants the dishes to look as if they came out of a French Bistro. Bit difficult sometimes when the dish has lots of sauce. Still, there's a challenge for the next 24 hours.
Pics?

I have some light work to do shortly and then I am going to go eat a ginormous sub sandwich (AKA hoagie, grinder). I will drive slowly home and putter very slowly around the house until I am out of my food coma.

It takes almost 30 minutes to eat this thing:
Did you work up a sweat? 😅

My grandad was always pretty jovial, and he loved to eat. He ate at the house with us at least once a day most days, and one of his standard jokes was, after Mom would set a plate of pork chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, a sliced tomato, and cornbread in front of him, he’d get about a third through it, then very animatedly take out his handkerchief, dab at his forehead, and bellow, “Lawd have mercy, Jean, I’m workin’ up a sweat eatin’ all this!” - that was his way of saying it met with his approval. :laugh:

Did you work up a sweat? 😅

My grandad was always pretty jovial, and he loved to eat. He ate at the house with us at least once a day most days, and one of his standard jokes was, after Mom would set a plate of pork chops, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, a sliced tomato, and cornbread in front of him, he’d get about a third through it, then very animatedly take out his handkerchief, dab at his forehead, and bellow, “Lawd have mercy, Jean, I’m workin’ up a sweat eatin’ all this!” - that was his way of saying it met with his approval. :laugh:
It's like Flo from the Progressive insurance commercials on TV when she dressed up as various family members and in one skit her uncle (Flo in costume) says, "I got the meat sweats!"
My apologies to those from other countries who can't possibly know what I'm talking about...I'll look later to see if I can find a video clip.

And thankfully they had the AC cranked up in there!

Found the clip: it's not terribly funny really.
View: https://youtu.be/aiOhTx114OA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom