Polenta fries

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:46 PM
A new one on some of us at restaurant the other night. People raved over them, served with garlic mayo. I've printed a recipe off the net but it has oregano thyme and rosemary? Would you put it in the mix?
Have any here made them, I was thinking the Italian influence would know. I've only used it cookin once.
Thoughts ???

Russ

A new one on some of us at restaurant the other night. People raved over them, served with garlic mayo. I've printed a recipe off the net but it has oregano thyme and rosemary? Would you put it in the mix?
Have any here made them, I was thinking the Italian influence would know. I've only used it cookin once.
Thoughts ???

Russ

Polenta is Italian in origin. The combination of Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary is one that I often use and further, with Marjoram and sometimes, Sage. But I would use them on Poultry dishes mostly, sometimes Tomato Sauces. The combination would work with Lamb too. I don't know how that would go with Mayo and Polenta with Garlic. It doesn't sound right to me.

I presume that this is polenta which has been made very thick then allowed to cool and set, then cut into 'chip' (fries) shapes, possibly coated with something and then fried. I confess that like flyinglentris, I don't really see them going with garlic mayo very well. But, well, if people raved about them maybe it works!

There is a recipe here which adds parmesan. I think that would be good. These are shown with a tomato/chilli relish which makes more sense to me. These are cooked in the oven.

Polenta chips with Parmesan, herbs and a chilli-tomato relish | Tesco Real Food

I presume that this is polenta which has been made very thick then allowed to cool and set, then cut into 'chip' (fries) shapes, possibly coated with something and then fried. I confess that like flyinglentris, I don't really see them going with garlic mayo very well. But, well, if people raved about them maybe it works!

I have heard it said that in the Netherlands, the Dutch prefer their Pommes Fritas with Mayo.

I've done something similar a couple of times with polenta - cooked it, put it in the fridge to set up, sliced it into planks, then brushed it liberally with oil and broiled/grilled it.

I served it with sausage and peppers, though.

As a polentone I have done many non standard things with polenta. My fav is flavored with cheese and crumbled crispy bacon the shaped whilst warm around a boiled egg. Leave to set up then deep fry. They are the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom