Recipe Polenta Lasagna with Escarole

Stu Pot

Local time
6:58 PM
This is one of my go-to dishes for a winter crowd. I separately serve grilled Italian sausages on the side. I used to incorporate the sausage in the tomato sauce (about 1lb, frying with the onions), but nowadays there is always a vegetarian (or more) in our group meals. Because this is made with corn meal it is also gluten-free.

Polenta Lasagna With Escarole
8 to 10 servings

3 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups coarse cornmeal or instant polenta
1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste)

3 tbsp olive oil
2 med. head escarole, chopped coarsely
2 c medium chopped onion
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 c fresh basil
1 1/2 cups red wine (something drinkable, on the dry side)
1 can tomato paste
red pepper flakes (to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)

16 oz neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
2 large eggs
2 c grated parmesan
2 c shredded jack cheese

Butter a 9x5 loaf pan. Bring water to boil, add corn meal and salt; whisk until no lumps. Transfer to pan, cover with plastic wrap, chill 3 hours or overnight.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until a bit brown on edges, about 7 minutes. Add escarole and saute 3 more minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, tomato paste and garlic and stir. Season with s&p and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste. Add wine and simmer 30 minutes.

Beat neufchatel cheese in large bowl till fluffy, add egg and cheeses and combine.

Preheat oven to 400.
Oil a 9x12 pan.
Cut polenta from loaf, into 20 slices.
Spoon 1/3 sauce on bottom of dish. Arrange 10 slices polenta on top of sauce. Spoon `1/3 sauce over polenta. Drop cheese mixture over. Arrange 10 more polenta slices, then top with rest of sauce. Bake on baking sheet 40 to 50 minutes.

Let stand at least 10 minutes, then cut and serve. Serve with grilled Italian sausages if desired, and of course, crusty bread and grated parm.

This is a dish that retains its heat, which suits me as I can bring it out of oven and let it sit (covered with foil) while we enjoy drinks and a few munchies before serving.

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting. Escarole is very difficult to find here in the UK. In fact, I've never tasted it. I understand that its a member of the chicory family so it has a slight bitterness. I'm certain I'd love that!

P.S. If there are vegetarians in the party you may want to check out if the cheese is veggie friendly. Parmesan definitely isn't unless its fake parmesan. Not sure about Neufchatel and Jack. See the thread here: Vegetarian Cheese

I guess my friends are lacto-ovo vegetarians as they eat cheese and eggs, just not meat. A few eat fish, pescetarians. I do have 2 vegans in the family (both nieces) but I don't cook for them.

I guess my friends are lacto-ovo vegetarians as they eat cheese and eggs, just not meat.

The issue with cheese is not the milk (lacto) but that some cheeses contain animal rennet - the product of a calve's stomach so it is not suitable for lacto vegetarians. The rennet is obtained from the stomachs of slaughtered calves.

This is one of my go-to dishes for a winter crowd. I separately serve grilled Italian sausages on the side. I used to incorporate the sausage in the tomato sauce (about 1lb, frying with the onions), but nowadays there is always a vegetarian (or more) in our group meals. Because this is made with corn meal it is also gluten-free.

Polenta Lasagna With Escarole
8 to 10 servings

3 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 cups coarse cornmeal or instant polenta
1 to 2 tsp salt (to taste)

3 tbsp olive oil
2 med. head escarole, chopped coarsely
2 c medium chopped onion
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 c fresh basil
1 1/2 cups red wine (something drinkable, on the dry side)
1 can tomato paste
red pepper flakes (to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)

16 oz neufchatel cheese (or cream cheese)
2 large eggs
2 c grated parmesan
2 c shredded jack cheese

Butter a 9x5 loaf pan. Bring water to boil, add corn meal and salt; whisk until no lumps. Transfer to pan, cover with plastic wrap, chill 3 hours or overnight.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until a bit brown on edges, about 7 minutes. Add escarole and saute 3 more minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, tomato paste and garlic and stir. Season with s&p and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste. Add wine and simmer 30 minutes.

Beat neufchatel cheese in large bowl till fluffy, add egg and cheeses and combine.

Preheat oven to 400.
Oil a 9x12 pan.
Cut polenta from loaf, into 20 slices.
Spoon 1/3 sauce on bottom of dish. Arrange 10 slices polenta on top of sauce. Spoon `1/3 sauce over polenta. Drop cheese mixture over. Arrange 10 more polenta slices, then top with rest of sauce. Bake on baking sheet 40 to 50 minutes.

Let stand at least 10 minutes, then cut and serve. Serve with grilled Italian sausages if desired, and of course, crusty bread and grated parm.

This is a dish that retains its heat, which suits me as I can bring it out of oven and let it sit (covered with foil) while we enjoy drinks and a few munchies before serving.

Such a brilliant recipe, I'm a fan of polenta and I've never thought to use it like a sort of lasagne....thanks for sharing!
And escarole is just fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom