Recipe Polpettone Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Venison or Beef

mjd

Veteran
Local time
1:39 AM
[Mod.Edit: If recipes are not your own then you must add a credit to the original author and/or website. I have added now added it (MG)]

This recipe is by Marisa Franca

I've never had stuffed meatloaf and thought this looks promising. I'd love to hear what you think of this recipe.

Polpettone Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Venison or Beef

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings: 8
Source: Allourway.com

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 lb ground venison or beef
1/2 lb pork sausage
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion diced
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
1/3 cup Panko crumbs
3 tbsp buttermilk
3 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/3 cup mozzarella
1 tbsp Tuscan seasoning (or Italian seasoning)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 slices bacon

DESCRIPTION
Italian Stuffed Meatloaf is one of our favorite comfort foods. The venison is spiced with aromatics, chipotles in adobo sauce, and herbs. The meatloaf is stuffed with mozzarella cheese and topped with bacon slices. A delicious dish that has many variations.

DIRECTIONS
1) Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onion and garlic stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
2) Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375 F.
3) Sprinkle the Panko crumbs over the aromatics.
4) Add the venison, pork, and beaten eggs in the bowl. Scatter all of the ingredients except for the bacon and mozzarella cheese.
5) Put a little bit of olive oil on the palms of your hands. Gently mix all the ingredients until just combined -- try not to compact the mixture as you do this.
6) Tear a long sheet of wax paper and place in on the counter. Scoop the mixture onto the wrap and make a rectangle using your hands to pat it out. Sprinkle the mozzarella in the middle. Sprinkle a little bit more parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella if desired. Use the wax paper to help you roll the meat away from you. Using the wax paper bring the other side toward you. Pat to form a log.
7) Make sure the ends of the loaf is sealed. You don't want the cheese to ooze out.
8) Transfer the meatloaf to an oil sprayed baking pan.
9) Lay the bacon strips diagonally on the meatloaf.
10) Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf registers 160 F. for 40 to 55 minutes. When it is finished, broil the meatloaf about 6 inches from the broiler element until the bacon is brown and crisp.
11) Let rest for 10 minutes. With a large spatula, transfer to a cutting board or serving platter. Cut into 3/4 to 1-inch-thick slices.
12) Optional: Add homemade or your favorite marinara sauce on top.

NUTRITION
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 1029mg | Potassium: 434mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 2.2mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 3.5mg

This recipe is from Polpettone Italian Stuffed Meatloaf |Venison or Beef Recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it would be good in it's own right, but ..not sure what is Italian about chipotle in adobo sauce and wrapping bacon around it...I guess they have to call it something...let us know how it turns out..I have a huge box of ground beef packets in my freezer..always looking for ideas..thanks

Looks like it would be good in it's own right, but ..not sure what is Italian about chipotle in adobo sauce and wrapping bacon around it...I guess they have to call it something...let us know how it turns out..I have a huge box of ground beef packets in my freezer..always looking for ideas..thanks

That's a good question. Maybe because she suggested using marinara sauce with it? I'm at that age where I don't ask too many questions. I'm more like "Oh, so this is going be like that, huh?" LOL

That's a good question. Maybe because she suggested using marinara sauce with it? I'm at that age where I don't ask too many questions. I'm more like "Oh, so this is going be like that, huh?" LOL
I'm at the age where I am just old and crusty...lol...It looks like it would taste great!

Back
Top Bottom