250g caster sugar
110g pistachios
Zest of ½ lemon
2 eggs
1 egg yolk

To serve
50g pomegranate seeds
Zest of 1 lemon

1 To make the posset, put all the ingredients in a medium-size pan. Bring to the boil while stirring with a whisk, then turn the heat down slightly and simmer for 4 minutes.

2 Pour the mix thought a fine sieve, skim with a spoon or ladle to ensure your possets have a smooth clean finish, then pour into your choice of serving glasses.

3 For the biscotti, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, pistachios and lemon zest. In another bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolk together.

4 Add the egg to the dry ingredients gradually, mixing constantly until the dough comes together. Roll out into an oval 3cm deep and chill in the fridge for one hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.

5 Remove from the fridge and put on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Put in the oven for 20 minutes then leave to cool.

6 Once cool, cut into 1cm-thick slices, on an angle. Return the slices to the baking tray, turn the oven down to 140C/275F/gas mark 1 and bake for 6-10 minutes, until the slices are set in the middle. Remove and place on a cooling rack.

7 To serve, put the fresh pomegranate seeds on top of the posset, with the grated lemon zest and the biscotti on the side.

fullsizeoutput_2afd.jpeg

Adapted from a recipe published in The Guardian newspaper

Last edited by a moderator:
Very pretty indeed @epicuric. I'm not a dessert person really but I do like posset. I even like the word! I love that intense pink - and I'm envious of those pistachios. The ones I buy never seem that green.

The biscotti looks delicious too and I love the way the green pistachios stand out.

Very pretty indeed @epicuric. I'm not a dessert person really but I do like posset. I even like the word! I love that intense pink - and I'm envious of those pistachios. The ones I buy never seem that green.

I had to look that up and found that as a desert, Posset evolved from a British concoction that included a liquor and used to soothe flus and colds. Fascinating. I can only think of eggnog as a comparison at the moment.

Pomegranate possets with lemon and pistachio biscotti

Excellent work. It's recipes like this that make me happy that I did settle on Pomegranate as the ingredient for this month's challenge. There are so many good recipes showing up for Pomegranate that rival each other that I'm wondering whether I should honor them when the final judging is done as runners up, 2 and 3? Classy. I can't remember going to a pot luck and finding such recipes offered up. What really bothers me is that I have to judge without tasting unless I get the gumption to dive into these recipes on my own. And perhaps sometime in the future, I will. Salute.

Back
Top Bottom