4:45 PM
Pork-and-Green-Chili Stew
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 pound mild green chiles, such as poblanos and Anaheims—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
3 serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced (keep some seeds for spicier flavor)
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
Lime wedges, warm corn tortillas and rice, for serving

Directions
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until almost smoking. Season the pork cubes with salt and black pepper and add them to the casserole. Cook the pork over high heat, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, green chilies, serrano chilies and garlic. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer the stew over moderately low heat until the pork is just tender and the broth is reduced by about half, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the 1/4 cup of cilantro and season with salt and black pepper. Garnish the stew with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, corn tortillas and rice.

Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine (Grace Parisi)

This arrives just in time to take off the late Fall chill. I'm glad you added some spicy peppers along with the green chili peppers. What does Mrs. Tasty think? Is she a spicy food type of person? My wife isn't....at all.

Chili pepper seeds really aren't the main source of heat in chili peppers. They do get stuck in your teeth, and add bitterness. It is that whitish membrane and the placenta that holds the seeds that add the lion's share of the heat in a chili pepper.

But, that's a pretty good looking recipe.

CD

What does Mrs. Tasty think? Is she a spicy food type of person?
She’s a funny one. She always balks at any kind of pepper (well, except bell peppers (minus the green ones - she won’t go near those)), but then when she tries something, she complains, then says “That’s not too bad,” then eats all of it. :laugh:

Granted, I never serve anything super-hot here. Comparing chilies, my tolerance runs out at around cayenne (which we ate a lot of growing up) - no habanero, ghost chili, or Amazon jungle psycho murder chilies (or whatever the current “world’s hottest pepper” is) here.

To say it another way, when we go out for Chinese or Thai takeaway, the places here always have a scale of 0-10 for spiciness, and she usually gets a 3, and I usually get 6 or 7, and she marvels at how I can eat that, then she tries it and says it’s not that hot. Yet when we go back the next time, she’ll still order a 3. 🤷

Oh, to answer your original question, she loved it!

She’s a funny one. She always balks at any kind of pepper (well, except bell peppers (minus the green ones - she won’t go near those)), but then when she tries something, she complains, then says “That’s not too bad,” then eats all of it. :laugh:

Granted, I never serve anything super-hot here. Comparing chilies, my tolerance runs out at around cayenne (which we ate a lot of growing up) - no habanero, ghost chili, or Amazon jungle psycho murder chilies (or whatever the current “world’s hottest pepper” is) here.

To say it another way, when we go out for Chinese or Thai takeaway, the places here always have a scale of 0-10 for spiciness, and she usually gets a 3, and I usually get 6 or 7, and she marvels at how I can eat that, then she tries it and says it’s not that hot. Yet when we go back the next time, she’ll still order a 3. 🤷

Oh, to answer your original question, she loved it!

Officially, I think Carolina Reapers are still the hottest (1,641,300 Scoville Heat Units) but unofficially, I think Pepper X (3.18 million SHU) is the hottest. Both were developed by '"Smokin" Ed Currie, who owns a company called PuckerButt Pepper Company.

Home of the World's Hottest Pepper - Smokin' Ed's Carolina Reaper®. :laugh:

I have some Pepper X hot sauce, and a dime sized drop on a cracker nearly killed me. It actually has a good flavor, but that is good for about 2 seconds. :pepper: I'd love to send a bottle to Yorky, but the shipping would cost 20 times what the hot sauce costs. I like Yorky, butI don't like him that much.

CD

Last edited:
Craig also puts cumin in his green chili stew. We haven't had that in a long time. He usually uses pork but has used chicken as well.

I will NEVER forget when Craig and his brother were doing a hot sauce tasting on crackers and they tried Dave's Insanity. Wasn't sure whether to fall on floor laughing or rush them to the hospital.

I have some Pepper X hot sauce, and a dime sized drop on a cracker nearly killed me. It actually has a good flavor, but that is good for about 2 seconds. :pepper: I'd love to send a bottle to Yorky, but the shipping would cost 20 times what the hot sauce costs. I like Yorky, butI don't like him that much.

When preparing food (instead of chemical weapons) with superhot peppers, it gets to be a bit absurd. Places will market something as a "ghost pepper burger" when it has a fraction of a milligram of the pepper in it. I had one once, and it was delicious, but not very spicy. That annoyed me a bit: they could have used a sensible amount of jalapeno or serrano pepper, but then they probably wouldn't have sold as many.

I'd feel like this (and probably dress like this) if I ever decided to make something with one:

main-qimg-0f7369e84c038230ac00a60d38ffeb03.webp

When preparing food (instead of chemical weapons) with superhot peppers, it gets to be a bit absurd. Places will market something as a "ghost pepper burger" when it has a fraction of a milligram of the pepper in it. I had one once, and it was delicious, but not very spicy. That annoyed me a bit: they could have used a sensible amount of jalapeno or serrano pepper, but then they probably wouldn't have sold as many.

I'd feel like this (and probably dress like this) if I ever decided to make something with one:

main-qimg-0f7369e84c038230ac00a60d38ffeb03.webp

I have heard the Arby's Diablo sandwich and Diablo fries are actually pretty hot. I haven't tried one, but may do it.

CD

Pork-and-Green-Chili Stew
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 pound mild green chiles, such as poblanos and Anaheims—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
3 serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced (keep some seeds for spicier flavor)
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
Lime wedges, warm corn tortillas and rice, for serving

Directions
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until almost smoking. Season the pork cubes with salt and black pepper and add them to the casserole. Cook the pork over high heat, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, green chilies, serrano chilies and garlic. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer the stew over moderately low heat until the pork is just tender and the broth is reduced by about half, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the 1/4 cup of cilantro and season with salt and black pepper. Garnish the stew with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, corn tortillas and rice.

Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine (Grace Parisi)

What I really like about this is the way the pork looks - whenever I cook pork it seems whiteish in colour and not moist. Yours looks so pink and delicious!

Craig decided all on his own, hasn't been online in a while, that he wanted green chili stew/posole so he'll be making his version. He puts red chili powder in it as well, which I never knew until I was making the list for him. I got a can of hominy so mine will be posole, and Craig will have his potato chunks so his will be stew. He makes it the same up until the time for the potatoes or hominy to go in and then splits the pot.

What I really like about this is the way the pork looks - whenever I cook pork it seems whiteish in colour and not moist. Yours looks so pink and delicious!

Pork has white meat and dark meat, like poultry. Pork loin will cook to a whitish color, and dries out easily because it has little fat. TR used pork shoulder, which cooks up darker, although I've never seen it that pink color when cooked, as it appears in TR's photo.

CD

Pork has white meat and dark meat, like poultry. Pork loin will cook to a whitish color, and dries out easily because it has little fat. TR used pork shoulder, which cooks up darker, although I've never seen it that pink color when cooked, as it appears in TR's photo.

CD

Me either. I thought it was raw at first glance until I looked a little longer and realized it was plated.

Officially, I think Carolina Reapers are still the hottest (1,641,300 Scoville Heat Units) but unofficially, I think Pepper X (3.18 million SHU) is the hottest. Both were developed by '"Smokin" Ed Currie, who owns a company called PuckerButt Pepper Company.

CD

I use Carolina Reaper flakes in the salted white chocolate, pistachio bark I make. There's a fine line between just enough so you definitely know it's there and too much where even Craig agrees. I'm talking about 1/16 to 1/8 tsp to a whole bag of white chocolate chips. I chose the Reaper over Ghost because the Reaper has a fruity note to it.

Back
Top Bottom