Ingredients
  • 6 garlic cloves, pureed
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • ½ tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon cornflour
  • 400 g pork loin, thinly sliced
  • olive oil
  • 200 g garden peas (or snow peas, chopped)
  • 200 g bok choy, chopped
  • 200 g king oysters or other mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 red capsicum, sliced
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 150 g bamboo shoots, sliced
  • 150 g bean sprouts
  • 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornflour
  • 500 ml chicken stock
  • salt and pepper
chickenchopsuey-s.jpg

Combine the garlic, oyster sauce, soya sauce, salt and cornflour in a bowl. Add the pork slices and mix well to ensure the pork is well coated. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

In a large wok, stir fry each of the vegetables except the bean sprouts separately in a little hot olive oil for about 2 minutes each, then keep aside in a bowl, Similarly fry the bean sprouts but only for 1 minute. Add to the bowl.

Remove the pork from the marinade and stir fry in a little hot olive oil until cooked (around 3 to 4 minutes.
Return all the vegetables to the wok and mix well.

Combine the oyster sauce, cornflour and chicken stock in a jug and then add to the wok. Season and bring to a simmer. Serve immediately with or over rice or noodles.

Last edited by a moderator:
montage-named_zpsge1yrz7b.jpg

I couldn't get bamboo shoots for this one so I substituted cauliflower.

There is no reason that chicken should not be substituted for the pork....

Chicken chop suey_zpsnbvirej0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This does look delicious. I like the way you systematically photographed and presented the ingredients. My only question. Why are you stir frying each veg separately? This wouldn't be normal practice if they all take the same time. Unless you have a very small wok!

My only question is what do the capsicums look like whole. This is so I can find them here.

My only question is what do the capsicums look like whole. This is so I can find them here.
You know, I think when it comes to chillies, you have to use what you can get. Some will be hot, some not. And with a stir-fry, its really up to you what you want to use. I'm guessing these are quite large chillies and they probably aren't super hot. Maybe about 1 and 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch across at the most?

Having written that, I'm now thinking Capiscum here are not chilli peppers at all but sweet peppers. The term Capiscum is generic and can refer to sweet peppers (often called bell peppers) and hot chilli peppers. The sweet peppers aren't always 'bell shaped', but come in a long variety too. They taste exactly the same.

See here:

Heirloom-Marconi-Red-Pepper-10686.jpg

Perhaps you can clarify @Yorky

You know, I think when it comes to chillies, you have to use what you can get. Some will be hot, some not. And with a stir-fry, its really up to you what you want to use. I'm guessing these are quite large chillies and they probably aren't super hot. Maybe about 1 and 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch across at the most?

Having written that, I'm now thinking Capiscum here are not chilli peppers at all but sweet peppers. The term Capiscum is generic and can refer to sweet peppers (often called bell peppers) and hot chilli peppers. The sweet peppers aren't always 'bell shaped', but come in a long variety too. They taste exactly the same.

See here:

View attachment 4171

I was thinking they look like our bell peppers.
@morning glory, not to argue with you but green, red and orange bell peppers have different flavors.
We also have no long bell peppers. Now we do have several long varieties of peppers and every one of them has a different flavor.
Though to me bell peppers do not look like bells.
Nearly every grocery store has one area devoted to peppers.

The ones you linked look more like very ripe pablanos which are hotter than bells.

You can get crab mushrooms then? :happy: I don't even recognise that name. I can get these shown below (at a pretty price). They include two possible mushrooms like @Yorky's:

Enoki: Enoki have long thin stalk with small caps, cream or brown in colour (those are the tiny ones)
Shimejii: Shimeji have small ivory white/brown round cap with white stems (the bigger ones)

The huge one is a King oyster mushroom.

73329011_0_640x640.jpg

I was thinking they look like our bell peppers.
@morning glory, not to argue with you but green, red and orange bell peppers have different flavors.
We also have no long bell peppers. Now we do have several long varieties of peppers and every one of them has a different flavor.
Though to me bell peppers do not look like bells.
Nearly every grocery store has one area devoted to peppers.

The ones you linked look more like very ripe pablanos which are hotter than bells.

I just meant that red ones (long or bell) taste the same. At least, they do here if they are 'sweet peppers'.Of course yellow, orange and green (various stages of ripeness) taste different.

Hot chilli peppers are entirely another matter and the different tastes between varieties is incredibly varied. Poblanos would fall into the chilli pepper category (albeit on the mild side). My favourite chilli peppers are Naga and Scotch Bonnet!

I haven't seen any of those mushrooms.
Well, as I say, they come at a price! £11.65 per kg as opposed to £2.80 per kg for ordinary everyday mushrooms. But hey! I love to cook and the pack pictured cost £1.98. (about $2.50).

In the UK, there is quite a wide variety of 'exotic' produce in the supermarkets. I'm using the word 'exotic' but don't necessarily mean imported. The mushrooms I pictured above I think are imported, though.

I believe that you refer to them as bell peppers. This is a red one (obviously) and they come in green, yellow and orange also. If there's any difference in taste between them it's far too subtle for me so you could use any of them for chop suey.

red capsicum s.jpg

There is virtually no chili type heat in them.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/scoville.htm

Why are you stir frying each veg separately? This wouldn't be normal practice if they all take the same time. Unless you have a very small wok!

The reason (as I understand it) is because stir frying small amounts (even in a large wok) cook far quicker and more even than large amounts and therefore keep more of the flavour. Deep frying chips is an example.

Last edited:

See here:

If you look here on my chart http://freebeerforyorky.com/scoville.htm you will see a substantial variation in SHUs even in the same "type" of chili. Those that you have pictured look like red pepperocini to me - we only have green here. Even if you bite a chili raw (not recommended for the faint hearted) it's difficult to ascertain how much heat will be imparted to the dish. Even chilies from the same batch here may differ significantly in heat units.

Back
Top Bottom