Recipe Pork Chop Suey

If you look here on my chart http://freebeerforyorky.com/scoville.htm you will see a substantial variation in SHUs even in the same "type" of chili. Those that you have pictured look like red pepperocini to me - we only have green here. Even if you bite a chili raw (not recommended for the faint hearted) it's difficult to ascertain how much heat will be imparted to the dish. Even chilies from the same batch here may differ significantly in heat units.
Same here on the chilies. When we make poppers one may be cool and the next one HOT.
Cool for lack of a better term.

You can get crab mushrooms then? :happy: I don't even recognise that name. I can get these shown below (at a pretty price). They include two possible mushrooms like @Yorky's:

Enoki: Enoki have long thin stalk with small caps, cream or brown in colour (those are the tiny ones)
Shimejii: Shimeji have small ivory white/brown round cap with white stems (the bigger ones)

The huge one is a King oyster mushroom.

I used king oysters in the chicken chop suey second dish picture). Enoki I find virtually tasteless. Maybe the shimeji ones could be the same or similar to our crab mushrooms.

Just to upset you MG, these KOs were 30 bob/kg - there is maybe 350 gms here; they're not very heavy.

king oysters.jpg

I have just now noticed that the picture with the recipe is actually chicken and the picture in the following post (#3) is the pork. Could admin change the pictures around for me please?

You can easily do this yourself. Click on edit at the bottom of the post. You will then see the message ready to edit - at this point you can edit your text if required. To remove or add a photo, click on 'more options'. Delete the attached photo. Add new photo by clicking on 'upload file'. Click on 'Save changes'.

The edit facility is not available to none admin/moderators after (I'm guessing) 24 hours after posting.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

"But wait a bit," the Oysters cried,
"Before we have our chat;
For some of us are out of breath,
And all of us are fat!"
"No hurry!" said the Carpenter.
They thanked him much for that.

Lewis Carroll (1872)

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

"But wait a bit," the Oysters cried,
"Before we have our chat;
For some of us are out of breath,
And all of us are fat!"
"No hurry!" said the Carpenter.
They thanked him much for that.

Lewis Carroll (1872)
It came to me in the middle of the night, that it was this you were referencing!

The reason (as I understand it) is because stir frying small amounts (even in a large wok) cook far quicker and more even than large amounts and therefore keep more of the flavour. Deep frying chips is an example.

I cooked a chicken chop suey this evening. As you can see that's a lot of stuff to stir fry in one wok (the picture is of all the ingredients returned to the wok after individually stir frying).

chicken chop suey 0 s.jpg

Same here on the chilies. When we make poppers one may be cool and the next one HOT.
Cool for lack of a better term.

These are green Thai chilies bought from the market on Thursday - between 50,000 and 100,000 SHUs. This lot was Bht 10.00 (about 22p).

green thai chilies s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom