Recipe Pork Cream Stuffed Peppers

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
11:26 PM
This recipe features Milk in the form of heavy whipping cream and two Grains, Barley and Farro Perlato. It also features Pork and of course, Bell Peppers. With this mix of ingredients, I wondered where to post the recipe and decided to put it hear under Grains.

Pork Cream Stuffed Peppers:

PorkCreamStuffedPeppers.png

Ingredients:

PCSP_Ingredients.png

In case you have trouble reading the above, the ingredients are ...

1) Boneless Pork Chops
2) Heavy Whipping Cream
3) Cream Cheese
4) Olive Oil
5) Lemon Juice
6) Barley
7) Farro Perlato
8) Cashews
9) Bell Peppers
10) Onion
11) Garlic
12) Mushrooms
13) Sun Dried Tomato
14) Cilantro
15) Rosemary
16) Thyme
17) Black Pepper

Farro Perlato is what is described as an 'ancient grain' from Italy.

Procedure:

1) Grind up 1/4 cup Cashews to powder.
2) Boil 1/2 Cup Barley with 1/4 Cup Faro Perlato.

Note: I boiled the grains to a point where they remained somewhat chewy and not to the point of softness. I advise this for Barley.

3) Reduce or drain off excess water.
4) Dice up Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms and Cilantro Sprigs
5) Pan Fry or Bake a Boneless Porkchop with Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms and Cilantro Sprigs.
6) Dice up the Pork Chop.
7) In a separate pot, pour 1/4 cup Whipping Cream.
8) Add Cream Cheese, a tablespoon of Olive Oil and a splash of Lemon Juice.
9) Stir and Mix in Cream Cheese to disolve.
10) Add spices and heat, reducing to thickness.
11) Add all other ingredients, except Bell Peppers
12) Continue heating while stirring.
13) Cut the top stem out of the Bell Peppers and remove seed pod.
14) Fill Bell Peppers with Pork Cream mixture.
15) Bake stuffed Peppers for 10 to 20 minutes at 300 degrees.
16) Move to serving dishes and Serve.

This will make up to 4 peppers, but you might want to do one and save the stuffing mix and remaining peppers in the fridge for another day. I made 2 for photo-documenting and will have to reheat and consume one tomorrow. This is a high calorie meal, rich and semi-sweet. Take a walk after consuming.

PorkCreamStuffedPeppers.png

:hungry:

Last edited:
Its great to see someone using Farro. Its a lovely grain and I use it too sometimes. Barley is also an underused grain so its great and it great to see a recipe which uses it. I'm intrigued by this recipe as it wouldn't be my instinct to use grains, cream and pork with peppers. I am very willing to give this recipe a try - my only issue is the cooking of the peppers:

Bake stuffed Peppers for 10 to 20 minutes at 300 degrees.

I'm assuming we have raw peppers when they go in the oven? If so, surely ten minutes would mean they are really rather undercooked? This may be a matter of taste but when I cook stuffed peppers I bake for at least 30 mins. Although, I have to say that there are many recipes I've seen which suggest shorter cooking times.

This makes me wonder if in the US stuffed peppers are served 'al dente'? I like them tender and quite soft. I'd be interested to know what other members think about this.

Sounds a great dish.

Tip :
I use a pressure cooker for faster cooking grains like barley.
Or you could leave them in the oven when you have it on for something else.

I'm assuming we have raw peppers when they go in the oven? If so, surely ten minutes would mean they are really rather undercooked? This may be a matter of taste but when I cook stuffed peppers I bake for at least 30 mins. Although, I have to say that there are many recipes I've seen which suggest shorter cooking times.

This makes me wonder if in the US stuffed peppers are served 'al dente'? I like them tender and quite soft. I'd be interested to know what other members think about this.

No, the cooking time is not particularly an American thing. It's a personal preference. My mom used to make stuffed bell peppers with Rice, Ground Beef and Ketchup or Tomato Paste. She sometimes topped with melted Cheese. She cooked them till the bright green of the Peppers turned soft and that drab olive green color. I find that doing this caused the Peppers to loose their flavor. So I like to cook them long enough to get the Olive Oil seeping out and enough to slightly cook the Peppers but leave a crispness and bright color. Cooking a Pepper will always alter its flavor, but this way, the alteration is more favorable.

As for the Pork, Cream, Barley, Farro Perlato and Sun Dried Tomato ...

This is new for me and the recipe was evoked by the recipe challenge ingredient being Milk. I brainstormed about what went good together. I was even considering putting in Banana, but relented in favor of Cream Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato. I chose Heavy Whipping Cream because I felt it would thicken better as well as contributing to a sweetness. Pork? I had left over boneless pork chops in the fridge and needed to use them before they went bad.

Try cooking them 1 at 10 to 20 minutes and 1 at your time preference. Check the difference in flavor. You will also need a knife to cut up the Pepper as it won't be soft enough to just break up with a spoon.

I use a pressure cooker for faster cooking grains like barley.

I don't yet have a pressure cooker, although I have recently priced one by NuWave, along with their Air Fryer and portable Ovens. Don't you just hate being on a budget and having to plan for stuff like that?

Try cooking them 1 at 10 to 20 minutes and 1 at your time preference. Check the difference in flavor. You will also need a knife to cut up the Pepper as it won't be soft enough to just break up with a spoon.

I may do that! I take your point about change in flavour and colour too.

I love it that you are working so inventively - its similar to the way I work sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom