Recipe Portobello Pizza with Mozzarella and Olives

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
4:59 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
This is a fun pizza concept. You can make individual personal pizzas using neither bread nor cauliflower, but Portobello mushrooms. They do taste good.

portobella-pizza1.jpg

• Large Portobello mushroom caps (remove any stem)
    Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
    Tomato sauce (home-canned or a good grade without funky ingredients on the label, preferably stored in glass to avoid that "tinny" taste.)
    Italian herbs, especially oregano; and finely minced garlic
    Fresh mozzarella cheese
    Toppings: I used olives, scallions, and a small anchovy, chopped. But let your imagination work. You could even top these with those mushroom caps, diced up.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

You may lightly, very lightly, coat the edges of your mushrooms with the olive oil. This will keep them from looking like they dried out while cooking, but seriously they’ll still taste fine if you don’t. (Today, I forgot.)

Mix up your sauce with the herbs, to taste. Fresh herbs are the best but dried is fine. Simmer in a small pot for thirty minutes.

Lay out your mushrooms on a pan, gill sides up. Slather on the tomato sauce.

Slice the cheese and put that on top.

Add any toppings you want. Everyone in the family can easily have different topping choices.

Bake for 20 minutes and serve. Yum! Plan on about two per person, with a salad on the side.

NOTE: I can see this adapted for finger food appetizers, by using large button mushrooms and downsizing accordingly — probably would cook in 12-15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom