Pot luck anybody?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:03 PM
When we have friends over I normally cook but a friend of ours, Cheryl e mailed back and suggested a pot luck night to take pressure off me. I didn't object, we havnt had a pot luck here in a few years. It's kinda organised pot luck in that we kinda all,know what's on offer. Me, I'm making butter chicken rice and garlic bread, another couple are doing a leg of lamb cooked, another couple salad and dessert. Last couple havnt decided yet?
Being there's 8 of us, no cards tonight.
You guys do pot luck meals?

Russ

We used to do potlucks at work, but they got to be more trouble than they were worth.

We do family ones maybe once or twice a year, though more and more, we just eat out together somewhere. We just did this for my dad's and my brother's birthdays.

The concept doesn't exist in the UK, although I think sometimes people have others bring desserts or something. At the moment, any type of gathering like that is being discouraged. Folk are not even visiting their Mum's for mother's day.

I was raised in a Lutheran family, which (at least here) means a church pot luck pretty much every week.

CD
In our church as a kid, that was called Dinner On The Ground (in nice weather).

Growing up, pot lucks at church and family wedding /baby showers. They have provided some real great recipes. In recent years not so much a fan of them unless I am familiar with “cleanliness” habits of participants. By no means a clean freak - just have become more concerned as I get older.

I love pot lucks.

When I was working (before retirement) we would have one or two department potlucks a year, and since employees came from all around the world, and would bring their dishes -- this was fabulous!

I also joined a Meetup.com group based in Connecticut that has periodic potlucks, usually based around a theme - and you'd tell people what your dish was, so that not everyone was bringing the same thing, and so the basic food groups would be covered.

The local town had monthy potlucks when I first moved in, and actually I was planning on volunteering to start that back up this April While the old potlucks here were not nearly as exciting a the work or the Meetup ones, it was a good chance to see what other people were up to in their kitchens.

My personal policy when cooking food for others: I pretend everything I am cooking is RAW CHICKEN. I'm not so stringent when cooking just for me (unless it IS raw chicken...) but you get the idea...

Beautiful dinner last night, butter chicken a big hit, had enough for two meals to takeaway, plus froze two meals. I made too much. Lamb was to die for in buns with gravy. One friend who said I'll,do salad and dessert. She turned up with small pottle of slaw, store bought, $2.39 plus a $4 cheesecake. I though she was being quite miserable????
Cards was good as well, one couple couldn't come, he collapsed at the opticians and was hospitalised.
And he's really fit so a bit of a worry.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom