• 320 g puff pastry – 1 packet
  • Fresh Thyme, 5 sprigs or the dried ones
  • 1 egg
  • 20 ml water
  • EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 spoon
  • Salt, to taste
Method

Preheat the oven to 180 C.

Peel and cut potatoes into thin slices, 2-3 mm.

Tip: there is no need to pre-boiled potatoes, but if you are used to, just blanch them for 5 mins.
Beat the egg with water.

Seasoning raw potatoes with a drop of oil, a pinch of salt and thyme.

Cut a 2cm border around the edge of the puff pastry, prick its bottom with a fork or tootpick so it won’t swollen during baking.

Distribute the grated Fontina evenly on the bottom, then pour over the beaten egg-water mixture and use a little of it to brush the edges of the puff pastry, add potatoes with thyme, a pinch of salt and bake for about 25-30 minutes to 180°C.

View attachment 43340

Serves 4-6, Preparation time 15 mins, Cooking time 25-30 mins

• 4 potatoes medium-sized
  • 100 g Fontina, grated
  • 1 egg
  • 20 ml water
  • Salt, to taste
Method

Beat the egg with water.

Cut a 2cm border around the edge of the puff pastry, prick its bottom with a fork or tootpick so it won’t swollen during baking.

Distribute the grated Fontina evenly on the bottom, then pour over the beaten egg-water mixture and use a little of it to brush the edges of the puff pastry, add potatoes with thyme, a pinch of salt and bake for about 25-30 minutes to 180°C.
Bookmarked!

View attachment 43340

• 100 g Fontina, grated
  • 1 egg
  • 20 ml water
  • Salt, to taste
Method

Beat the egg with water.

You had me at Fontina!

Bravo. It reminds me of the wonderful potato pizza we buy whilst waiting for the Ancona/Split ferry. I wait in the car whist my wife (fluent Italian speaker) bring them back from a nearby pizzeria. The food in the formal dinning room on the ferry is some of the best we have had at sea.

View attachment 43340

• 100 g Fontina, grated
  • 1 egg
  • 20 ml water
  • Salt, to taste
Method

Beat the egg with water.

Simple sweet version, prepare the puff the same way. Put a thin layer of sliced shop bought marzipan on pastry. Mandolin a firm desert apple and cover the marzipan. Stick in a hot oven till the pastry is cooked and the apples start to color. Remove and brush with sieved apricot jam. Stick back in the hot oven for a few seconds. Serve hot with a good blob of your fav semifreddo.

Simple sweet version, prepare the puff the same way. Put a thin layer of sliced shop bought marzipan on pastry. Mandolin a firm desert apple and cover the marzipan. Stick in a hot oven till the pastry is cooked and the apples start to color. Remove and brush with sieved apricot jam. Stick back in the hot oven for a few seconds. Serve hot with a good blob of your fav semifreddo.

oh sounds lovely - apart from the marzipan which I’m not a fan of.
It’s amazing how many things you can do with puff pastry, I love it just like kids love to play with play-dough

Bravo. It reminds me of the wonderful potato pizza we buy whilst waiting for the Ancona/Split ferry. I wait in the car whist my wife (fluent Italian speaker) bring them back from a nearby pizzeria. The food in the formal dinning room on the ferry is some of the best we have had at sea.

Grazie. Yeah, I like it a lot potato pizza - or better potato focaccia. I know about food on the ferry because I usually take ferry-boat to go to Sardinia and it occurred to me to dine at the ferry-restaurant, Very good food, I’ve eaten some of the best linguine allo scoglio I’ve ever had, but if you take a simple sandwich or piece of pizza at the bar, you’ll say “am I in a hospital?”

Back
Top Bottom