Recipe Potato, Mushroom & Onion Casserole

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:46 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
A recipe from The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine, by Walter Staib. This one is on page 218. Part of the CookingBites Cookbook Challenge, #6.

Herein, the recipe's author combines cookery ideas from both Mary Randolph (The Virginia Housewife, ) and Martha Washington's related recipe ("To Dress a Dish of Mushrumps"). Yes, that Washington. She likely didn't invent the recipe (OR cook it), but it would be served in her household.​
Photo: a detail of the casserole before slicing in.​
casserole detail-.jpg

Potato, Mushroom & Onion Casserole

• 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (PS: Find a good and healthier substitute that doesn't impart flavor. Avocado or grapeseed oil come to mind.)
  • 6 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 1.5 pounds)
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 8 medium red-skinned potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and very thinly sliced.
  • Salt and freshly ground white pepper
  • 2 bunches fresh parsley finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
(ED NOTE: The above recipe is designed to serve 8. I cut my own doings by half.)

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter and the oil in a large skillet over high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, until light brown and tender. Remove from the skillet and reserve.

In the same skillet, sauté the onions and garlic for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Reserve.

Pat the sliced potatoes dry with paper towels. Place half the potato slices in the bottom of a large baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, the reserved mushroom and onion mixtures, and the remaining potato slices. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Pour the cream evenly over the potato mixture, top with the Parmesan cheese, and bake about 10 minutes more, until the potatoes are fork-tender and the mixture is bubbly. Serve hot.

Photo: My serving - here we can see the inner mushroom, onion and parsley layer.
casserole serving-.jpg

(ED FEEDBACK: I used avocado oil instead of "vegetable oil", which I have not purchased in at least 30 years. Assuming I ever did. There is no confounding taste to either oil.

The onion took longer to start browning - about 8 minutes. This did not surprise me. A truly great Maillard reaction for onions mushrooms will take even longer. I kept them at "slightly golden". Mushrooms were spot-on.

I'm never sure how one measures a "bunch" of anything. I used my own home-grown parsley, and simply went by "feel" on it. Which I think is entirely appropriate.

Final cooking time once one added the cream and parm was about 15 - 17 minutes. Ovens do vary in temperature.

While I think this was a good recipe, it does tend to confirm my Yukon gold bias. I think I'd love this recipe were I to use just about any "gold" potato. I would also not skin my potatoes, although I know there was a period in time where everyone apparently skinned any potato they cooked. Most of the nutrients are in the skin -- and frankly, they really don't taste bad, and they add texture. (Yes, I did use the red-skinned potatoes with skins removed. The chickens got a treat!)

The seasonings, mushrooms and onions were excellent with this!

I would also like to brown the top of the casserole, by putting my oven on "broil" for a couple of minutes at the end.

Overall, I do appreciate this cookbook, and will cook more things from it in the future.

Last edited:
If you've never seen Walter Staib in action, you're missing one of life's great pleasures. Watching him making spatzle from scratch is a thing of awe and beauty, plus he's very funny.

We've had the distinct pleasure of having eaten at City Tavern four times. It's a definite must-do every time we go to Philly.

If you've never seen Walter Staib in action, you're missing one of life's great pleasures. Watching him making spatzle from scratch is a thing of awe and beauty, plus he's very funny.

We've had the distinct pleasure of having eaten at City Tavern four times. It's a definite must-do every time we go to Philly.

I would LOVE to do that! Haven't been to Philly since I was a kid on a school trip.

I would LOVE to do that! Haven't been to Philly since I was a kid on a school trip.
When we first read about it, we thought it was going to be kitschy, because they mention that waitstaff are dressed like colonial times (that's Staib's focus, cooking from colonial America), so we thought it would be some kind of bad Williamsburg experience, but it's not at all.

No electricity, just candlelight, it's very quiet, dark and cozy, a fiddler playing period fiddle tunes...it's brilliant.

A recipe from The City Tavern Cookbook: Recipes from the Birthplace of American Cuisine, by Walter Staib. This one is on page 218. Part of the CookingBites Cookbook Challenge, #6.

Herein, the recipe's author combines cookery ideas from both Mary Randolph (The Virginia Housewife, ) and Martha Washington's related recipe ("To Dress a Dish of Mushrumps"). Yes, that Washington. She likely didn't invent the recipe (OR cook it), but it would be served in her household.​
Photo: a detail of the casserole before slicing in.​

Potato, Mushroom & Onion Casserole

• 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (PS: Find a good and healthier substitute that doesn't impart flavor. Avocado or grapeseed oil come to mind.)
  • 6 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 1.5 pounds)
  • 2 large onions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 8 medium red-skinned potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and very thinly sliced.
  • Salt and freshly ground white pepper
  • 2 bunches fresh parsley finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
(ED NOTE: The above recipe is designed to serve 8. I cut my own doings by half.)

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Heat 4 tablespoons of the butter and the oil in a large skillet over high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, until light brown and tender. Remove from the skillet and reserve.

In the same skillet, sauté the onions and garlic for 3 minutes, until golden brown. Reserve.

Pat the sliced potatoes dry with paper towels. Place half the potato slices in the bottom of a large baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the parsley, the reserved mushroom and onion mixtures, and the remaining potato slices. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Pour the cream evenly over the potato mixture, top with the Parmesan cheese, and bake about 10 minutes more, until the potatoes are fork-tender and the mixture is bubbly. Serve hot.

Photo: My serving - here we can see the inner mushroom, onion and parsley layer.
View attachment 34058

(ED FEEDBACK: I used avocado oil instead of "vegetable oil", which I have not purchased in at least 30 years. Assuming I ever did. There is no confounding taste to either oil.

The onion took longer to start browning - about 8 minutes. This did not surprise me. A truly great Maillard reaction for onions mushrooms will take even longer. I kept them at "slightly golden". Mushrooms were spot-on.

I'm never sure how one measures a "bunch" of anything. I used my own home-grown parsley, and simply went by "feel" on it. Which I think is entirely appropriate.

Final cooking time once one added the cream and parm was about 15 - 17 minutes. Ovens do vary in temperature.

While I think this was a good recipe, it does tend to confirm my Yukon gold bias. I think I'd love this recipe were I to use just about any "gold" potato. I would also not skin my potatoes, although I know there was a period in time where everyone apparently skinned any potato they cooked. Most of the nutrients are in the skin -- and frankly, they really don't taste bad, and they add texture. (Yes, I did use the red-skinned potatoes with skins removed. The chickens got a treat!)

The seasonings, mushrooms and onions were excellent with this!

I would also like to brown the top of the casserole, by putting my oven on "broil" for a couple of minutes at the end.

Overall, I do appreciate this cookbook, and will cook more things from it in the future.

A good 'crit' of the recipe - I definitely agree about browning the top. Not sure about the vegetable oil though - maybe veg oil is not a good product in the US but here it can be excellent. We have virgin rapeseed oil for example. No GM crops involved.

A good 'crit' of the recipe - I definitely agree about browning the top. Not sure about the vegetable oil though - maybe veg oil is not a good product in the US but here it can be excellent. We have virgin rapeseed oil for example. No GM crops involved.

Here, "vegetable oil" is sort of a hodgepodge of undefined oils, usually containing corn, soy etc. Whatever's cheap at the moment.

But I'm thinking the oil has the name of the oil used in the case you mention. Ie rapeseed/canola. Here, Vegetable oil is just whatever they want to mix up on hand and sell... labelled "vegetable oil". Could be just about anything... cheap.

It is in the UK as well.

But I'm thinking the oil has the name of the oil used in the case you mention. Ie rapeseed/canola. Here, Vegetable oil is just whatever they want to mix up on hand and sell... labelled "vegetable oil". Could be just about anything... cheap.

In the UK a lot of 'vegetable oil' is in fact rapeseed. Here is Tesco's vegetable oil - which has pictures of rapeseed on the label:

In fact - I just checked all their 'vegetable oil' and they are all pure rapeseed. Also checked Waitrose & Sainsbury's supermarkets and their vegetable oil is also rapeseed. In fact, I've yet to find one that isn't rapeseed.

In the UK a lot of 'vegetable oil' is in fact rapeseed. Here is Tesco's vegetable oil - which has pictures of rapeseed on the label:

View attachment 34113

In fact - I just checked all their 'vegetable oil' and they are all pure rapeseed. Also checked Waitrose & Sainsbury's supermarkets and their vegetable oil is also rapeseed. In fact, I've yet to find one that isn't rapeseed.

Nice. Here it is some combo of corn and soybean oil. If it is all canola (rapeseed) it says "Canola" rather than "vegetable". Don't know if it makes a difference or not, practically all of what is sold as canola is also GMO here. But that would be a separate discussion.

Here (US), my bottle of Crisco Pure Vegetable Oil is 100% soybean oil. I really don't use it all that often.

Mostly, I use olive oil, high(er) heat olive oil, and peanut oil for popcorn. I can't stomach canola oil at all - has a strong fishy smell and taste to me that puts me right off eating. The wife has independently said the same thing.

View attachment 34112

View attachment 34113

My gut feeling on that is it is simply labeled vegetable oils because it allows them to modify the ingredients anytime to what is seasonable abundant and cheap without having to have purchasers change product and go through a relaunch campaign.

If you look into the history of vegetable oils you'll see that they have, even in the UK, traditionally been mixtures of seeds and some vegetables that are chemically treated to extract oil from what was a waste product. It was something I covered in my BSc back in the 90's when vegetable oils adulterated and trans fats effectively only just coming into public concern and thus vegetable oils had to be cleaned up.

Here in Australia, canola oil is big business. I'm not sure I have any generic vegetable oil at the moment, but a quick look online shows that it is a mixture of canola oil (basically rapeseed rebranded an non gm rapeseed to separate it from the rapeseed being genetically modified in the past) and sunflower oil at my normal supermarket, https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/750772/woolworths-vegetable-oil but disturbingly is only labeled as 100% Australia vegetable oil in the main competitor https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/coles-brand-oil-vegetable

My gut feeling on that is it is simply labeled vegetable oils because it allows them to modify the ingredients anytime to what is seasonable abundant and cheap without having to have purchasers change product and go through a relaunch campaign.

If you look into the history of vegetable oils you'll see that they have, even in the UK, traditionally been mixtures of seeds and some vegetables that are chemically treated to extract oil from what was a waste product. It was something I covered in my BSc back in the 90's when vegetable oils adulterated and trans fats effectively only just coming into public concern and thus vegetable oils had to be cleaned up.
Definitely why I don't buy oils that don't proudly say what they are.

Back
Top Bottom