Recipe Potato Soup

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
12:13 PM
Fall is slowly creeping into North Alabama and it is soup weather. I love making soup for dinner as the weather gets cooler and last night I made some really good potato soup. I also make a mean beef barley soup as well as ministrone, chicken soups of different kinds, and yummy vegetable soups, ect. Here is the recipe I used for my potato soup last night:

4 ribs of celery, diced
1 large onion diced
Cook in butter until almost tender and add:
About 2 cups sliced or diced carrots, fresh or even frozen
4 or 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
Cook with onion/celery about 5 minutes
Add about 5 cups of water {you can also use chicken broth} and simmer until potatoes and carrots are almost done.
Add 3 cups milk and about 1 cup of coffee creamer or if you have it regular cream ( I use coffee creamer because I always have it on hand and it works just fine)
Bring to a simmer and add enough potato flakes to make it a bit thick. You can always add more liquid if it is to thick).
Season with salt and pepper and some garlic powder.
You can add some cheese if you like.
Let simmer until hot and serve with crusty bread
Diced ham can also be added.

What are your favorite soups when the weather starts to get cooler??

I'm not a big soup fan and if I do have a soup then I like butternut squash and ginger or tandoori pumpkin ,I like sweeter more refined types,still simple to make sweat the bulk down and cook out with vegetable stock and cream liquidise pass and season

Yes, I do agree that soup can be a good meal to have when the weather is very cool. People in my country usually like to make soup when it is rainy outside. It makes for a good warm meal when the weather is like this. This recipe looks good. However, my favourite soup is chicken and pumpkin soup with some added split peas and sometimes barley, along with some eddoes, carrots and celery.

One of our favorites is potato, bacon and leek soup. It's a good, hearty soup and is quite filling for a soup. I also love minestrone - I attribute that to my Italian heritage! I probably need to branch out though as those two are my only regular rotation soups. Occasionally I'll make pumpkin or chicken tortilla soup on my husbands request, but I need a few recipes to shake that up a bit.

That's a really good and hearty recipe I love how creamy it is, that's really comforting in the cold season. I make water-based soups too but I leave out the cheese, cream and dairy-based foods for health reasons. A good vegetable soup is all you need. :)

I am not much of a soup person but I do enjoy it on a blistery, winter day. This recipe sounds really good. I am going to bookmark it so that I will have it for later in the year when the need arises! Thanks for sharing!

This kind of soup would be good for the sick minus the milk. I whip up a quick soup whenever anyone in the house falls ill. The other thicker soup with dumplings and a ton of ground provisions is a heavier soup and serves as a full meal.

This kind of soup would be good for the sick minus the milk. I whip up a quick soup whenever anyone in the house falls ill. The other thicker soup with dumplings and a ton of ground provisions is a heavier soup and serves as a full meal.

Yes, a light soup like chicken soup along with some celery, carrots, onions and thyme, and also some added barley, is good to drink when one is feeling under the weather healthwise. Otherwise, I like my soup with some thickness in it, but not overly thick. I would add eddoes to thicken it up, but the other ground provisions like potatoes or yam would be cooked separately. I like the dumplings too, and these would be cooked in the soup.

MMMMMMMMM I love butternut squash soup and make it once a month in cooler weather. I am also a big fan of split pea soup. I make it after I have cooked a bone in ham and use the ham bone to flavour it. At my house we also like to use the ham bone to flavor pinto or white beans when it is cooler outside. If I do not have a ham bone to put in the beans, I will add sliced polish sausage when the beans are almost done.

I do love soup and I almost bought some yesterday. My fave homemade soup recipe is broccoli cheese soup. However, going on your theme of potato soup, someone on another site posted a potato peel soup. This was interesting to me because as they tell you, the peel is the most nutritious part of the potato. I plan to make that one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom