Recipe Potato Wine

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
2:49 AM
potato-wine.jpg

You can use potato wine in similar ways as you use vodka though potato wine has a much lower alcohol content.

Ingredients:
10 pounds white potatoes
2½ pints white grape juice concentrate
35 pints water
1 1¼ pounds sugar
15 teaspoons acid blend
2½ teaspoons tannin
5 teaspoons nutrient
1 package wine yeast

Directions:
  1. Scrub potatoes until they are completely clean. Slice potatoes and boil until they are just tender.
  2. Separate the boiled potatoes from the liquid. Save the potatoes for other uses and retain the potato water for the wine. Place the potato liquid into the primary fermenter.
  3. Add all other ingredients except the yeast. Stir and cover.
  4. When the mixture has cooled to below 85° (check with thermometer), add the yeast. Cover.
  5. Stir once every day and check Specific Gravity.
  6. When the fermented mixture reaches a Specific Gravity of 1.040 (this will take 3 - 5 days) strain the liquid. Siphon the wine from the sediment into a 6.5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Attach airlock.
  7. When ferment is complete (S.G. has reached 1.000 -- about 3 weeks) siphon off sediment into clean 5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Reattach airlock and set aside to ferment out.
  8. Rack after 60 days, top up and reattach airlock. When wine clears, rack again, top up and reattach airlock. After 4 months, stabilize and rack into bottles*.

*Potato wine improves greatly with keeping. Your potato wine recipe needs at least eighteen months to two years to mature.

http://www.best-potato-recipes.com/potato-wine-recipe.html

I have never even heard of potato wine but I would definitely give it a try if somebody made some. I have had dandelion and crab apple wine. I have been to many wineries but I have never even seen potato wine made anywhere. My niece makes a lot of her own wine I will have to check with her and see if she ever made it or heard of it before. I really want to give it a try.

Classic - have you actually made this stuff yourself and then drunk it? If so, what does it taste like?

A few points re your recipe:
1 - I have nothing to cook 10lbs of potatoes in; I do not possess a primary, let alone a secondary fermenter
2 - how do you 'stabilize' the stuff in direction # 8.?
3 - that's a lot of empty bottles and stoppers presumably!) you need; I guess you use previously emptied wine bottles?
4 - any problems with secondary fermentation once bottled?
5 - and all that racking takes up valuable drinking time!

And lastly, I'm very thirsty NOW so cannot wait 18 months!!!

Classic - have you actually made this stuff yourself and then drunk it? If so, what does it taste like?

1 - I have nothing to cook 10lbs of potatoes in; I do not possess a primary, let alone a secondary fermenter
3 - that's a lot of empty bottles and stoppers presumably!) you need; I guess you use previously emptied wine bottles?

@Shadow, you should know by now that @classic33 does not make the recipes he posts!

I did the "Hard Stuff", not saying where.
1. Get a bigger pan. Bin with a plastic liner, made for this purpose, for primary and secondary fermenter.
4. Container may explode.

View attachment 1814
You can use potato wine in similar ways as you use vodka though potato wine has a much lower alcohol content.

Ingredients:
10 pounds white potatoes
2½ pints white grape juice concentrate
35 pints water
1 1¼ pounds sugar
15 teaspoons acid blend
2½ teaspoons tannin
5 teaspoons nutrient
1 package wine yeast

Directions:
  1. Scrub potatoes until they are completely clean. Slice potatoes and boil until they are just tender.
  2. Separate the boiled potatoes from the liquid. Save the potatoes for other uses and retain the potato water for the wine. Place the potato liquid into the primary fermenter.
  3. Add all other ingredients except the yeast. Stir and cover.
  4. When the mixture has cooled to below 85° (check with thermometer), add the yeast. Cover.
  5. Stir once every day and check Specific Gravity.
  6. When the fermented mixture reaches a Specific Gravity of 1.040 (this will take 3 - 5 days) strain the liquid. Siphon the wine from the sediment into a 6.5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Attach airlock.
  7. When ferment is complete (S.G. has reached 1.000 -- about 3 weeks) siphon off sediment into clean 5 gallon glass secondary fermenter. Reattach airlock and set aside to ferment out.
  8. Rack after 60 days, top up and reattach airlock. When wine clears, rack again, top up and reattach airlock. After 4 months, stabilize and rack into bottles*.

*Potato wine improves greatly with keeping. Your potato wine recipe needs at least eighteen months to two years to mature.

http://www.best-potato-recipes.com/potato-wine-recipe.html
Wow, now that is a new one on me. They make vodka out of potatoes though, so I don't see why it couldn't be done with potatoes. I know in prison they make alcoholic beverages out of fermented fruits that is why they aren't generally served. I wonder if they ever thought about using potatoes lol. I am an impatient person though, I don't think I could wait 18 months to 2 years to taste the wine. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom