Recipe Potatoes and Yoghurt

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:09 PM
A mild curry accompaniment to counteract and cool the taste buds when eating very spicy curries.

Ingredients
  • 3 tblsp Olive oil
  • ¾ tsp Whole black mustard seeds
  • ½ tsp Whole cumin seeds
  • 1 Small onion finely chopped
  • 25mm cube Fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 Fresh red or green chilies finely chopped
  • 350 gm Potatoes scrubbed and cut into 20 mm dice
  • ¼ tsp Ground turmeric
  • 300 ml Plain yoghurt
  • 2 tblsp Gram flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ¼ tsp Sugar
  • 150 gm Peas (optional)
yoghurtpotato.jpg

Method

Heat the oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat. When hot put in the mustard seeds and when they begin to pop, add the cumin seeds. Stir for a few seconds and then add the ginger and the red chilies. Stir for 30 seconds and then add the chopped onions. Stir fry for around 5 minutes then add the potatoes and turmeric. Stir to mix and add 150 ml water. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.

Pour the yoghurt into a bowl and beat lightly until smooth and creamy. Add 300 ml water and mix thoroughly. Place the gram flour in another bowl and very slowly add the yoghurt stirring continuously to avoid lumps forming. Add half of the salt and the sugar and stir to mix.

When the potatoes are just tender, mix in the remainder of the salt and peas (if used). Cover and simmer for a further 3 minutes. Now add the yoghurt mixture and stir continuously until it reaches the boil. Cover, turn the heat to very low and simmer for a further 2 minutes.

I like the looks of this. I could add any veg I wanted to it really couldn't I?

I like the looks of this. I could add any veg I wanted to it really couldn't I?

I guess so, yes. Quickly cooked vegetables cut into small pieces.

Back
Top Bottom