Recipe Poule au Pot (Chicken in a pot)

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:18 AM
This was a pretty simple and filling meal. I especially like making this around this time of the year as it gets colder here in California and starts feeling more and more like Christmas:) I love the use of preserved lemons and the vibrant flavor they add, they pair perfectly with poultry.

My favorite part is taking this straight to the table, especially if you have guests. Lift the lid there and break the dough seal so everyone gets that first scent of the roasted bird and preserved lemon together. The dough can be eaten though you won’t find much flavor to it , however do whatever your pallet desires. This is obviously a one pot meal but goes great with additional vegetable side dishes and don’t forget a bottle of wine.

30CA62B2-FC5E-44C2-88CC-604712C04608.jpeg

Ingredients
½ preserved lemon, rinsed well
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and each cut into 8 same-sized pieces (you can use white potatoes, if you prefer)
16 small white onions, yellow onions, or shallots
8 carrots, trimmed, peeled, and quartered
4 celery stalks, trimmed, peeled, and quartered
4 garlic heads, cloves separated but not peeled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 thyme sprigs
3 parsley sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs
1 chicken, about 4 pounds, preferably organic, whole or cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup hot water

Method
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees (232C)

2. Using a paring knife, slice the peel from the preserved lemon and cut it into small squares. Discard the pulp.

3. Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, drop in the peel, and cook for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.

4. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the vegetables and garlic, season with salt and pepper and sauté until vegetables are brown on all sides. (If necessary, do this in 2 batches.) Spoon vegetables into a 4½- to 5-quart Dutch oven or other pot with a lid and stir in the herbs and the preserved lemon.

5. Return the skillet to the heat and add another tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the chicken on all sides, seasoning it with salt and pepper as it cooks.

6. Tuck chicken into the casserole, surrounding it with the vegetables.

7. Mix together the broth, wine, and the remaining olive oil and pour over the chicken and vegetables.

8. Put 1½ cups flour in a medium bowl and add enough hot water to make a malleable dough. Dust a work surface with a little flour, turn out the dough, and, working with your hands, roll the dough into a sausage.

9. Place the dough on the rim of the pot — if it breaks, just piece it back together — and press the lid onto the dough to seal the pot.

10. Slide the pot into the oven and bake for 55 minutes.

Gorgeous! I love the use of pickled lemons which are a treasure trove when paired with chicken (and all sorts of other things too).

But how does that chicken get browned under the crust? Or is it simply the initial browning in the pan?

Gorgeous! I love the use of pickled lemons which are a treasure trove when paired with chicken (and all sorts of other things too).

But how does that chicken get browned under the crust? Or is it simply the initial browning in the pan?
Thanks Morning! Thats a good question because it was browned in the pan first, however I’m guessing the heat from the Dutch oven lid played a hand in the uniformity of the browning as well. The darker areas most likely from the pan and the lighter areas from the final cooking process.

Edit: I wanted to add that the dough is only a sealant around the rim of the Dutch oven, there is no dough lining the inside or bottom of the Dutch oven to be clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom