Recipe Poussin with Pistachio, Sumac and Orange

TastyReuben help! I want to try this recipe but I'm not sure which sub. would be the best or how much to use.
I found this:

Lemon pepper is great for grilled poultry, but its most popular application is as a seasoning for seafood. In some cases, lemon pepper blends will include garlic so look at the listed ingredients when buying to avoid surprises. Some experts recommend adding a little salt to the lemon pepper when using it as a sumac substitute. When using lemon pepper in place of sumac, use about one and a half times the amount that your recipe requires for sumac.

I also found a substitute from Rachel Ray, of all people, where she zests an entire lemon, adds a tablespoon of black pepper, and a teaspoon of salt. She doesn't say so explicitly, but it sounds like that would be substituted one-for-one.

I should point out that I've never used sumac, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Reactions: mjd
I found this:

Lemon pepper is great for grilled poultry, but its most popular application is as a seasoning for seafood. In some cases, lemon pepper blends will include garlic so look at the listed ingredients when buying to avoid surprises. Some experts recommend adding a little salt to the lemon pepper when using it as a sumac substitute. When using lemon pepper in place of sumac, use about one and a half times the amount that your recipe requires for sumac.

I also found a substitute from Rachel Ray, of all people, where she zests an entire lemon, adds a tablespoon of black pepper, and a teaspoon of salt. She doesn't say so explicitly, but it sounds like that would be substituted one-for-one.

I should point out that I've never used sumac, so I can't speak from personal experience.
You are the bestest! Thank you!

I made this. None of the pictures came out well. I couldn't get the chicken to brown so I set it to broil for five minutes which didn't work. I made wild rice with it which was a nice accompaniment. I liked it.

I made this. None of the pictures came out well. I couldn't get the chicken to brown so I set it to broil for five minutes which didn't work. I made wild rice with it which was a nice accompaniment. I liked it.

Did you blot the chicken dry? Mine browned quite nicely.

Did you blot the chicken dry? Mine browned quite nicely.
Yes, I did. I think my blunder was setting it to 350 F instead of 375 F. It's the only thing I can think of.

ETA: It's a horrible picture but you can see that it's not browned.

20210205_131235 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you for trying out the recipe. Were these 'skin on' chicken pieces? If not, that would account for them not browning.

Reactions: mjd
By the way, I didn't take this photo. My caregiver has an Apple phone. She took it. I have no idea why it's so awful but I've never asked to check the settings on her phone. Mine decided to cover everything in a shade of blue. ;-0

Back
Top Bottom