Recipe Povitica - Poppy Seed Roll or Strudel

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:24 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I've read through so many of these recipes in the last few day trying hard to decide which one to make. I narrowed the field down to 6 this morning. 3 vegan, 3 non-vegan. Comparing them all, there was actually quite a bit of difference but it seems that variations on the Poppy Seed Roll or Strudel are many through Eastern Europe.

The version I ended up with was based totally on my dislike of raisins and completely on the contents of my pantry and what I actually had available rather than anything else.

So this one is based an a Balkan recipe rather than the predominately Polish recipes I had been finding. Ironically the recipe I chose in the end isn't actually a vegan one, but the only non-vegan ingredient in it is milk, so I just substituted with soya milk. Source - Potica (Povitica) Poppy Seed Roll - Balkan Lunch Box I've made it vegan and adjusted the yeast instructions and how I prepared the poppy seeds.

Quite a few recipes I've read regarding poppy seeds make it very clear that you don't boil them in water. You bring it to the boil, then immediately take it off the heat and allow to cool. Some say to heat up a second time and the cool, Strain and then grind but this recipe has you grind the poppy seeds first. Ground and/or soaked poppy seeds are easier to digest and actually tastier. If you want to soak your seeds overnight first, feel free. Just drain them well in the morning, or simply soak in the exact volume of soya milk (or dairy milk) and grind them after soaking. You may need a tad more milk if you go down this route.

For this recipe, I tried grinding in the coffee/spice grinder after cleaning it, but I wasn't totally happy with the results, so I added the milk to the ground poppy seeds and blitzed them in my Vitaminx. If you go down this road, 1 reserve a little walk to rinse the container with because you'll end up with quite a thick paste (which is actually what you are after) and 2, much more importantly if you are using one of the smaller containers (such as the smoothie container) remember it is fully sealed so you'll need to release the pressure every 15-20 seconds and no longer else the pressure buildup will find a way out via the ring seal and you'll end up with a rapidly expanding poppy seed solid spraying over everything! (that was last time I ground then!)

I also abandoned the recipe instructions for the yeast and followed what it said on my packet of yeast which was use dry, no need to activate and 2tsp per 500g of flour. If your's says something else go with that!

Also using semolina Isn't traditional, but apparently gives a better, lighter texture to the poppy seed filling.

Ingredients
Dough:

2 tsp instant dried yeast
500g plain flour
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
115ml (8 tbsp) neutral oil
250ml lukewarm water

Filling:
450ml soya milk
240g poppy seeds very finely ground
130g sugar
60g semolina
2 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Dough

1. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Make a hole in the center, add the water, yeast and oil and mix until you can knead, the knead for 5-10 mins by hand (2-3 in a machine), form a ball and leave to rise for 1-2 hrs in a warm place.
Filling
  1. Whilst the dough is rising, add the milk, ground poppy seeds, sugar and vanilla extract to a saucepan (or if you used a Vitamix like me, add the thick paste to the saucepan along with the sugar and vanilla extract. Scrap out as much as possible and use 2 tbsp more soya milk to rinse out the vitamix container into the saucepan). Bring it almost to boiling ensuring you stir well to prevent burning. The mixture will thicken as you heat it so take care.
  2. When it's at the boil, drop the heat to minimum, add the semolina and stir well. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes. The mixture will form a very thick paste. Taste to check sweetness & adjust if needed. Remove from heat, cover and allow to cool completely.
Assembly
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350° F / 180°C or 160°C fan assisted. Line a pan 30x45cm (12×17") pan (not tray) with baking parchment.
  2. If needed, dust your working area with flour (the dough maybe oil enough not to need it, mine was), divide the dough into 2. Roll 1 half into a rectangle 20cmx 40cm (8x16"), spread half of the filling evenly over the rectangle leaving a 1cm gap at the edges, roll up along the long edge and place into the pan (with enough space to get the other one alongside). Repeat with the other half of the dough and filling.
  3. (Optional) If you have time, leave to proof again for 30-60 minutes until doubled in size.
  4. (Optional) If you have spare poppy seeds, mix a tablespoon or two with some soya milk and brush the rolls with it.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, turn the pan 180° and cover with more baking parchment. Bake for another 25 minutes. If your even is fan assisted, ignore the turning the pan, just watch to see if the rolls brown too much & cover if needed. Total baking time 40 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven & allow to cool before removing from pan.
  7. Cut each roll into 10-12 slices before serving (serving suggestion is serve warmed)

Last edited:
A few pictures...

Shows the really pale colour of the ground poppy seeds in the soya milk - look at the rim

After cooking, the filling is much darker in colour

OK - I confess, I don't have any roasting tins so I've had to halve my rolls and each is in an individual loaf tin. I'll cook them in 2 batches. Right now they are back outside in the Australian summer heat, proofing naturally!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom