Prawn cocktail and it's global variations

Personally I wouldn't use ketchup (too sweet) - I just mix mayonnaise, tomato puree (paste), pepper, tabasco and lemon juice. And no avocado; lettuce (or cabbage), tomato and cucumber are fine. A sprinkling of paprika is acceptable.
My cocktail sauce is lots and lots of horseradish with a little bit of ketchup, lime juice, and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. It's not sweet.

My cocktail sauce is lots and lots of horseradish with a little bit of ketchup, lime juice, and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. It's not sweet.
That is great. Lots of personal variations...I like it when everybody gets to eat as it suits them best.
Lots of horseradish...sounds strong.
Do you in general prefer strong flavours alongside seafood, or can it not be defined that generally?

Last edited:
I make shrimp cocktail here in the summer because shrimp are cheap as chips here. This is retro Cornish Christmas lunch in Wales. Shrimp and crab cocktail with deep fried whitebait and cider.

Are they shrimp (as in UK shrimps) or prawns?
Prawns in the UK but shrimps here. These are UK prawns with mussels and samphire. I cook that here with wild asparagus very rarely as Mrs B refuses to eat common mussels. These are local shrimp we use in the summer because we can sit on the balcony and tale the shells off

My quick cocktail sauce:

Mayonaise
Tomato ketchup
Squeeze of lemon
A drop of tabasco or siracha sauce
Salt

I guess it's the same as everybody's quick cocktail sauce.

I don't use mayo (I've an intolerance of it). I use Greek style yoghurt instead and I sometimes add sherry or brandy.

small skampi. Only with Mrs B's permission as she likes skampi buzaru better.
Beautiful pictures!

Oh yes,kozice are the tiny ones! Škampi the bigger ones! I might search for both at my closest Jarun farmer's market fish stand, or at Dolac...

Many years ago a friend made škampi na buzaru at her house( her Dad did😄) in Dubrovnik, there were 10 of us, it was a very social dinner. Do not remember the taste, so it is the time this month to refresh😁

Where I work we call them ecrevisse, only the black tiger or king prawns are called prawns here. Very nice seafood, it tastes so damn good.
Stay healthy

In the US, I have only heard the word prawn to reference freshwater shrimp. Anything caught in saltwater is called shrimp -- except in really expensive restaurants where they call shrimps prawns, so they can charge a higher price for them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom