Local time
10:15 PM
My quick cocktail sauce:

Mayonaise
Tomato ketchup
Squeeze of lemon
A drop of tabasco or siracha sauce
Salt

I guess it's the same as everybody's quick cocktail sauce.

In the US, cocktail sauce is very different (see Tasty's photo). There is no mayo, the main ingredient is ketchup.

CD

The Velvet Curtain

Pot washer
Local time
4:15 AM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
I don't use mayo (I've an intolerance of it). I use Greek style yoghurt instead and I sometimes add sherry or brandy.
You've reminded me, when in Greece I had a seafood salad that had a light Marie-Rose sauce made with yoghurt, I will have to try that next time.

Timenspace

Local time
5:15 AM
With the generous help of Google, I have introduced 4 prawn/shrimp sorts to my brain.
(wiki says prawn/shrimp naming is not scientific and is confusing as interchangable)...sooo...
Here's to Latin🥃🥃😊
I'll just take what the local fishmonger offers...but it is good to know...
Have never seen or eaten such a large one, the Californian one.(no 4)...

Possibly I got the wrong ones? Or 50/50?🤷😁
Edited to add: those 4 are all salt-water prawns/shrimps...

Last edited:

PabloLerntKochen

Local time
5:15 AM
They're all from the same family I think but different in weight, color and slightly in anatomy, due to the places they grow up, what temperature they live in and what they can eat. In germany we import almost every big prawn from prawn farms all around the world, only the north sea shrimps can be called german prawns out of the sea and they're pretty delicate.
Stay healthy

medtran49

Legendary Member
Local time
11:15 PM
That sounds like it is rather strong in flavour, doesn't it swamp the shrimp/prawn taste?

To some extent, but it's not like you are drowning the shrimp in it either. Just adds a little something.

We have stone crabs in Florida, mostly in the southern portion of the state and in the Caribbean. Only the claws are served. They remove 1 or both legal-sized claws (which in my opinion is cruel to remove both since they use the claws for defense and to make it easier to gather food) and return the crab to the water. If it's eaten cold, it's nearly always eaten with a cold mustard sauce, mayo, a bit of worchestershire and A1 sauces, plus dry mustard, preferably Colman's, with a touch of heavy cream to thin it out. I have seen them served with the ketchup based cocktail sauce once and only once. They are served with clarified butter if served warm.

Top Bottom