Prawns (shrimps)

The chef cooked them and served them whole. The Chinese were straight in there crunching and spitting out the shells
When I was working at RAF Alconbury, a Japanese-American fellow worked for me, and I’d had a weekend on my own, so he invited me to go up to London with him for the day, and he’d show me around Chinatown, an area I wasn’t at all familiar with.

While there, he bought a few food items in the shops, specialty things to bring back to his room at the airbase, and one of those was this whole crab of some sort, and I remember him going through the refrigerated case, saying you had to get a female one full of eggs, and he was trying to show me what he was talking about, but I was getting sick to my stomach, so I went outside.

On the way back, on the train, without warning, he opened his sack, pulled out that crab, leaking water and crab juice all over everything, and started eating the thing like a damn hamburger, just taking big bites out of it and spitting hard bits out.

It stank, juice was running everywhere crabby bits flying, it was disgusting to me, and I grew up in a culture that routinely boiled the meat off pigs’ heads, so that’s saying something.

He had a lot of unusual habits like that, though. He did the same thing with chicken bones, just chewed right through them, and he’d leave milk to set out until it curdled, then drink it.

The prawns I bought last week were probably about U10, or maybe less. Took me about 15 minutes to "clean" them of shells, feet, etc,. then another 15 to remove the intestinal tract.
They were really good, mind you, so the extra work was well worthwhile. AND, from an aesthetic point of view, the prawns looked pretty on the plate!!

Could be coincidental but I’ve found the ones that haven’t been purged slightly more prawny tasting than the ones that have.

I don’t enjoy deveining prawns but I’m bordering on thinking it’s worth it.
I'm quite used to it. I do sometimes buy ones that have been deveined (but never precooked) but I grew up in a small resort town on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida and I am pretty fast with it unless they are very small ones. Those are quite the PITA.

Yeah - the smaller they are, the less I'm inclined to "clean" them. Just rip off head, scales and feet, and into the pan. I reckon if we eat in McDs, BurgerKing, Wendys, Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell or anything remotely similar, we're probably eating a load of cr** anyway.
I really couldn't tell you if there's any difference between disembowelled, or non-disembowelled prawns.
I DO remember a wonderful restaurant in the 90s, however, on Margarita Island, called Antonio's. No menu - they'd go out fishing in the Caribbean and bring back all manner of delights. I can remember some deep sea prawns, redolent of iodine. Antonio (if he was sober) would just grill them and splash with tequila.
Unfortunately, the tequila got the better of him...

Gulf shrimp East of the Mississippi River are a more pinkish color, while those West of the River are grey. The reason is that silt from the Mississippi all goes West when it hits the Gulf.

That is also a good reason to devein them. The vein has silt in it, which gives a "muddy" taste to the shrimp, if there is enough in the vein. Once deveined, the grey shrimp taste great.

CD

The prawns I bought last week were probably about U10, or maybe less. Took me about 15 minutes to "clean" them of shells, feet, etc,. then another 15 to remove the intestinal tract.
They were really good, mind you, so the extra work was well worthwhile. AND, from an aesthetic point of view, the prawns looked pretty on the plate!!

U10 are some big shrimp. They should be easy to devein.

CD

Yep - they were and the prawns didn't "dissolve", they kept their shape when cooked. With the smaller ones (and with shrimp) sometimes the cooked version ends up twisted.

I'm guessing you mean they curl up when cooked. It has been a long time since I have cooked shrimp that large, but I do vaguely recall them not curling up, at least not as much. I typically buy 16/20 or 21/26 size shrimp. Those are both pretty easy to find here in the Dallas area.

CD

These babies were at the wet market near me:

IMG_0464.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom