Preserving food.

CraigC

I haven't had mullet from Tampa but I've eaten it plenty of times in Destin, smoked is preferred. I like smoked yellowfin tuna better, though.

My oldest brother's ex-wife is from a little town near Destin called Niceville. The local newspaper there is nicknamed "the mullet wrapper", lol!

The only canned tuna I will eat is yellowfin, packed in olive oil from Spain or Italy. We've used fresh yellowfin in sushi, poke, tataki, etc. I've never tried it smoked. I'll have to check it out.

I was referring to fresh tuna, not canned. I'm not a fan of canned meats. But you should try smoking some fresh, it's delicious!

I was referring to fresh tuna, not canned. I'm not a fan of canned meats. But you should try smoking some fresh, it's delicious!

I was pointing out that I'll only eat that and not albacore, most of the time it comes in jars. Do you have a recipe for the cure used with smoked tuna?

I get it now, sorry. Yes I am finicky too. No recipe because I always cheated and used liquid smoke when I made the tuna dip myself as I don't have a smoker. I'd eaten plenty of that dip made by people and at restaurants who made it the proper way and it's outstanding. It's a very popular item on menus in NW Florida. I'm sure you'd be able to do an amazing job with it. It's way better than mullet, though I enjoy that as well. Just if I had to choose it would be the tuna.

I don't have a smoker

Neither do I, but I do have a great gadget which for small quantities is brilliant - a smoking gun: Sage by Heston Blumenthal. Its easy and fast to use.

I've been wanting one of those for the longest time! It's on my list.

Here in the UK it can be bought for around £60 ($73) which is not very cheap. I recommend it because it takes up no space, works efficiently in minutes and is fun! I maybe don't use it as much as I should.

I'd seen it on cooking shows in the past.

I also want a torch. That one might be a little scary to use, LOL. I'd better not try it when drinking wine.

I did, I saw it. I wish Christmas wasn't so far away. Do you feel safe using it? Have you ever caught anything on fire or burned yourself? I can be a bit clumsy at times, which is why I can't use a mandoline. I have one, but that's hubby's job.

What is bottled salmon? I mean how?

I did it about 5 years ago, I think they call it the sterilise/boil method, muricans do it this way, first time I have done it. From memory clean jars and fill with fresh salmon and a mixture of vinegar and other stuff, can't remember really, put lid on and bring to simmer for 1 hr?? In a big saucepan, I remember the first attempt didn't work, jars cracked. Second attempt I sat jars on piece of wood at bottom of the pan to protect from direct heat. It worked. I'll take a pic of it when I'm in the garage next. It really is nice, the only way I eat it, apart from tinned salmon on toast.

Russ

I did it about 5 years ago, I think they call it the sterilise/boil method, muricans do it this way, first time I have done it. From memory clean jars and fill with fresh salmon and a mixture of vinegar and other stuff, can't remember really, put lid on and bring to simmer for 1 hr?? In a big saucepan, I remember the first attempt didn't work, jars cracked. Second attempt I sat jars on piece of wood at bottom of the pan to protect from direct heat. It worked. I'll take a pic of it when I'm in the garage next. It really is nice, the only way I eat it, apart from tinned salmon on toast.

Russ

Interesting. Does it look/taste like tinned salmon?

I did, I saw it. I wish Christmas wasn't so far away. Do you feel safe using it? Have you ever caught anything on fire or burned yourself? I can be a bit clumsy at times, which is why I can't use a mandoline. I have one, but that's hubby's job.

I've never burnt myself - make sure food is on heat proof surface, point and fire! As long as you don't start waving it around towards yourself its fine. I've had plenty of burns taking things in and out of the oven, though!

That's how I've gotten my battle scars as well. You'd think I'd use oven mitts. I have them, in a drawer next to the stove.

Back
Top Bottom