pressurized garlic jar, please help

dionis746

Local time
8:18 PM
ive had an airtight jar containing multiple peeled cloves of garlic in the fridge for around 2ish months and last time i opened it was extremely pressurized and kinda exploded the lid off kinda and just hte most intense smell of garlic hit me. Is this safe???? its not rotten or gone soft although it is slightly humid in the jar with condensation on the sides.

photo_2022-11-13_23-24-08.jpg

I don't keep peeled garlic for that long. It gets funky feeling plus the pressure you mentioned, plus the smell. It's not that expensive and I'd rather be safe than sorry personally.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it will depend on if it is fresh peeled garlic or dried garlic but I can't tell from the picture. I'm guessing fresh (?) if it is kept in the fridge. So anything that has increased it's internal pressure in a fridge is giving off gases which would suggest it has oxidized/gone bad.

I'd stick with the rule, if in doubt and not risk it.

I would get rid of it. Why take a chance? Buy fresh garlic.

If there was gas in the jar, I can assure you the garlic fermented. While you said your jar was "airtight", you did not fill the jar to within 1 cm of the top, and probably didn´t cook it in a water bath, so the oxygen inside the jar reacted, and caused a ferment. The fact that the jar is "airtight" makes no difference unless you do the water bath, which will create a vacuum in the jar. For that small amount of garlic, I´d simply go out and buy a few heads and re-do your experiment.

If there was gas in the jar, I can assure you the garlic fermented. While you said your jar was "airtight", you did not fill the jar to within 1 cm of the top, and probably didn´t cook it in a water bath, so the oxygen inside the jar reacted, and caused a ferment. The fact that the jar is "airtight" makes no difference unless you do the water bath, which will create a vacuum in the jar. For that small amount of garlic, I´d simply go out and buy a few heads and re-do your experiment.

I don't think it was an experiment as OP stated the garlic was bought for a recipe and then forgotten in back of refrigerator.

You can buy pre-peeled plastic jars/bags of just garlic cloves (not canned, fresh) here and obviously where OP lives. Comes in handy when you are making something that requires a lot of garlic, like 40 clove chicken or a big batch of andouille sausage, etc. But, we don't buy it otherwise as it gets funky before we can use it up.

I don't think it was an experiment as OP stated the garlic was bought for a recipe and then forgotten in back of refrigerator.

You can buy pre-peeled plastic jars/bags of just garlic cloves (not canned, fresh) here and obviously where OP lives. Comes in handy when you are making something that requires a lot of garlic, like 40 clove chicken or a big batch of andouille sausage, etc. But, we don't buy it otherwise as it gets funky before we can use it up.
yea thats exactly what happened lol i was gonna make a ton of sri lankan chilli paste and didnt want to peel like 3 bulbs of garlic so i bought the packets of garlic

I buy the pre-peeled garlic cloves in the bag.

I process it and freeze in zip top freezer bags. I process it 3 ways. I use my mini food processor to do a fine chop/smooth, and a rough mince.
I also use my little slicer and slice the garlic for salads, and where I want it sliced, and easy to remove.

Place processed garlic in the bags, and press into a thin layer with no air, seal bag, and freeze. When I want some I just snap a piece off, remove air, reseal bag, and back into freezer. It's very convenient. And it doesn't go bad.

Leifheit Comfortline Gourmet Garlic Slicer | Finely Cut and Slice Vegetables,white/red

61e4cb9AhzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My DIL had some of those pre-peeled garlic cloves in the fridge the other day. Can´t say I was very impressed - but then I´m probably the only old schooler here who prefers fresh garlic any day of the week. Buy a head of two of garlic and chop when needed. It only takes a couple of minutes. The rest of the head of garlic lasts for ages in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom