Recipe Prosciutto wrapped asparagus topped with fresh goat cheese and mozzarella

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:37 PM
This is an easy recipe to make that is both colorful and full of flavor. I make this dish frequently in spring and summer. We had eaten prosciutto wrapped asparagus appetizers at a few restaurants and it was always pretty good, but it seemed like it was missing something. The addition of sliced peppers and shallot with the additional toppings of fresh heirloom grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and goat cheese rounded it out to a bright and savory meal.

Notes: I use very thin asparagus as they are tender and seem to have more flavor. It's important to ask the deli counter associate to slice the prosciutto thin but not so thin as it will fall apart. No added salt is needed because the prosciutto and cheeses season the vegetables perfectly. I don't add any herbs or ground pepper which allows the flavor of the vegetables to sing on their own merits. Sometimes I will top at the end with some toasted pine nuts, though I didn't this time.

I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!

Total time for preparation and cooking: 1 hour
Serves 2

Ingredients:
12 oz thin asparagus spears (woody ends removed)
4 oz thinly sliced deli prosciutto
4 oz thinly sliced peppers (I used orange bell and jalapeno for a little kick)
2 oz sliced shallot or red onion (I prefer shallot)
4 oz fresh heirloom grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in halves (I used red and yellow)
4 oz goat cheese
2 oz fresh mozzarella

Place a slice of the prosciutto on a flat surface and put several asparagus spears at the edge at an angle (see photo below), then gently roll until the asparagus is completely wrapped. Place in a baking pan and repeat.

Top the rolled prosciutto with the peppers and shallot. Bake at 400F for approximately 20 minutes, then add the tomatoes and cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Plate and enjoy!

Prosciutto dish ingredients.jpg
Prosciutto dish prep 1.jpgProsciutto dish prep 2.jpgProsciutto dish prep 3.jpg
Prosciutto dish finished.jpg
Prosciutto dish prep 4.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity: did the flavour of the asparagus come through? There's an awful lot going on there with prosciutto, two cheeses and a bunch of peppers & tomatoes?

Just out of curiosity: did the flavour of the asparagus come through? There's an awful lot going on there with prosciutto, two cheeses and a bunch of peppers & tomatoes?
Yes, I could taste the asparagus, even though this was all about the creamy goat cheese (per the challenge). That's why I always put multiple spears in each wrap--and the fresh mozzarella was very mild in flavor. I really don't think that small amount of peppers and tomatoes was out of balance at all for this dish, quite honestly. We eat this pretty regularly and the flavors are a nice complement to each other.

And I could REALLY smell the asparagus later, if you know what I mean :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom