• 50 g Provolone cheese
  • 320 g puff pastry
  • 3 dessert spoons of sugar
  • 1 spoon of white vinegar
  • 20 g unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
  • Provolone cheese, to taste

Method

Finely slice the onions, then put them in a pan with butter and let them simmer for about 10 min, then add sugar and cook over a low heat for about 20 mins, stirring from time to time by adding a spoon of white vinegar and let it evaporate by turning up the heat.
As soon as they are ready, let them cool down a bit.

Beat the egg along with a bit of water.

Dice the Provolone and set aside.

Preheat oven to 180C. Unroll puff pastry dough and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cut a 2cm border around the edge of the pastry and glaze its edge with beaten egg.

Prick with a fork the bottom of the puff pastry so it won’t swollen during baking, add caramelised onions and sprinkle diced Provolone over them.

Bake for 15-20 mins to 180 C or until the pastry is golden brown and Provolone melts.

Girl, you are on a roll! I'm moving to Italy. Actually, I can't, it's not allowed at the moment.

What might be good substitutes for Provolone if it's not available?

Girl, you are on a roll! I'm moving to Italy. Actually, I can't, it's not allowed at the moment.

What might be good substitutes for Provolone if it's not available?

I hope you can move here (or everywhere) as soon as is allowed!

About Italian cheese, you can replace Provolone with Fontina or Asiago (not Mozzarella) or maybe something smoked like Scamorza, whilst for those ones you have in the UK, I think Cheddar could work or even Gouda.

Back
Top Bottom