Puff Pastry Asparagus/Prosciutto Bundles

Karen W

Über Member
Local time
12:12 PM
I wanted to make and serve these Puff Pastry Asparagus bundles with crustless quiche over the holiday weekend, but time got away from me.

https://simply-delicious-food.com/puff-pastry-asparagus-bundles/

Question... I don't like overcooked vegetables, but wondered if the asparagus should be (at least partially?) cooked prior to wrapping & baking them in the pastry bundles? Will Ten-12 minutes baking time be enough to cook the asparagus through? TIA

Looking a the photo in the link the asparagus looked overcooked to me! I don't think you would need to cook it first. I'd think you need more like 15 mins in the oven to cook the pastry though.

Asparagus have first be boiled for about 7-8 minutes so that they remain crispy and not completely pre-cooked. This is because they will then undergo another baking in the oven, I think that 12-15 mins are enough (it depends then on the type of oven)

I think it would have to be a judgment call based on size of the asparagus. If it's really thick, yes, steam or microwave it between wet paper towels some. If it's that skinny stuff like we got the last time, less than the thickness of a pencil, then no, it would be mush.

I think it would have to be a judgment call based on size of the asparagus. If it's really thick, yes, steam or microwave it between wet paper towels some. If it's that skinny stuff like we got the last time, less than the thickness of a pencil, then no, it would be mush.

Good point.

I once tried making puff pastry. It was hard work, and didn't rise too well!! So I just buy it frozen now. :wink:

I just made this and there is certainly no need to pre-cook the asparagus unless its very thick. The issue is that the asparagus will get slightly brown and crispy at both ends. The cooking time for the pastry means this is unavoidable. It could be that crispy brown asparagus is a 'thing' though! The only way of avoiding it I can think of is to cover each end of the asparagus bundle in foil (which might work). I'll post a photo later.

Last edited:
fullsizeoutput_464a.jpeg

I just made this and there is certainly no need to pre-cook the asparagus unless its very thick. The issue is that the asparagus will get slightly brown and crispy at both ends. The cooking time for the pastry means this is unavoidable. It could be that crispy brown asparagus is a 'thing' though! The only way of avoiding it I can think of is to cover each end of the asparagus bundle in foil (which might work). I'll post a photo later.

Pencil asparagus is what I had in mind as well. The fat ones are too clunky for this dish.

Back
Top Bottom