Pull apart bread from scratch?

:):) Thanks so much. That's super neat. Now I have to learn to make the dough and I am guessing the texture has to just right. I 'don't think I have ever made a bread from scratch. If I did it was as a child either at school or with my mom as a little thing.
Well I'm not going to say that its super easy to make dough if you haven't done it for ages (or at all). But I would say that it isn't difficult either. If you can make pastry, then bread is easier, in my opinion. Making bread isn't as fussy as making pastry or cakes. Basically, if you put bread flour and yeast and water together and give it a good kneading, it will work!

I'll post a really basic bread dough recipe as a new thread (tomorrow!). One thing I'd like to know, though, is what bread flour is called in US. Here its called strong bread flour. Ordinary (pastry) flour doesn't have enough gluten to make a good stretchy dough.

Last edited:
Neither bread or pastries are my department sadly. I have definitely never made pastries. The closest I have ever come to any kind of dough is making pizza dough many moons ago. Yesterday I spent a lot of time reading about dough though. I have to say it does not sound easy and it requires a lot of time. You asked about the flour and I can't even say I know much about that. For my baking which I only started doing some months ago I just use an all purpose flour or another baking flour I see in the Supermarket.

Neither bread or pastries are my department sadly. I have definitely never made pastries. The closest I have ever come to any kind of dough is making pizza dough many moons ago. Yesterday I spent a lot of time reading about dough though. I have to say it does not sound easy and it requires a lot of time. You asked about the flour and I can't even say I know much about that. For my baking which I only started doing some months ago I just use an all purpose flour or another baking flour I see in the Supermarket.
It does take time and how much time depends on your climate and how warm your house is (so how long it takes for the bread to prove) but making bread is amazingly easy and is not that complicated at all.
I like to make sourdough bread which everyone says is super complicated - it is not. It does take a lot of time, which means you need to have planned things well in advance because that is the way with sourdough, but at the end of the day making bread is easier than making and decorating a cake.

This is a recipe (http://108breads.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/my-orginal-challah-recipe-family.html) for Challah which is a traditional Jewish 'tear and share' type bread and although she gives the instructions for someone with a bread machine, it wasn't hard to work out what was needed for someone without one (I just used my kenwood chef instead) and the rest was 'guessed' at which basically means everything was mixed in a bowl, kneaded as needed and then put into a greased bowl with greased clingfilm over it and left to prove in a corner until it had doubled in size. Then the instructions were followed again.

It makes for a nice rice bread and is well worth making.

It does take time and how much time depends on your climate and how warm your house is (so how long it takes for the bread to prove) but making bread is amazingly easy and is not that complicated at all.
I like to make sourdough bread which everyone says is super complicated - it is not. It does take a lot of time, which means you need to have planned things well in advance because that is the way with sourdough, but at the end of the day making bread is easier than making and decorating a cake..

I'd endorse this absolutely. The thing is, that although it takes time to make bread, its not 'your' time. Once kneaded (ten minutes max), it just sits in a corner and gets on with rising! You can go off to work, to the park, whatever. Its not 'time critical' when its rising. You can leave it three hours or six hours.

I'm always amazed by how cake making is so popular and how people who make cakes don't try and make bread because they think its difficult. Its much easier and much less 'time critical' in the oven. You can also open the oven door to check it and it won't collapse, like a cake!

It's exactly that bread I was reading up on SatNavSaysStraight as I read you had made it yet again. Then I was lead to the starter dough that has to be left in a warm area for days one recipe said? I was like "oh my God, this is a bit much" for someone who is a total novice and wants to do mostly sprints in the kitchen. So because it's foreign to me, I am thinking mine might be the one you have to throw out. I think I read if the bubbles and smell are not right, you have to throw it out and start all over. I thought the Sour Dough looked too complicated so I decided to check out some bread without yeast. As usual, I was looking for a quick fix. Still, at some point, I will take on the challenge of a sour dough bread.

I'd endorse this absolutely. The thing is, that although it takes time to make bread, its not 'your' time. Once kneaded (ten minutes max), it just sits in a corner and gets on with rising! You can go off to work, to the park, whatever. Its not 'time critical' when its rising. You can leave it three hours or six hours.

I'm always amazed by how cake making is so popular and how people who make cakes don't try and make bread because they think its difficult. Its much easier and much less 'time critical' in the oven. You can also open the oven door to check it and it won't collapse, like a cake!

If I had seen this first, I would have held my comments back about time etc. I will considered this and the fact that the bread does not drop when you take a peep is encouraging.

It's exactly that bread I was reading up on SatNavSaysStraight as I read you had made it yet again. Then I was lead to the starter dough that has to be left in a warm area for days one recipe said? I was like "oh my God, this is a bit much" for someone who is a total novice and wants to do mostly sprints in the kitchen. So because it's foreign to me, I am thinking mine might be the one you have to throw out. I think I read if the bubbles and smell are not right, you have to throw it out and start all over. I thought the Sour Dough looked too complicated so I decided to check out some bread without yeast. As usual, I was looking for a quick fix. Still, at some point, I will take on the challenge of a sour dough bread.
No need to start with sour dough. I haven't yet made sour dough yet though I've been making bread for years. Sourdough bread is lovely and tastes quite different from ordinary bread (as the name suggests, its sour tasting!'). Just make ordinary yeast bread. I use sachets of instant dried yeast. Now I'll have to look up and see if you can get those, where you are!

You can't use all-purpose flour to make bread.
You can and I do quite frequently without issue, in the same way that I use normal wholemeal flour for making bread without any issues either. They both still contain gluten, just not in the same higher levels that bread benefits from being made with. And just because it benefits from it, does not mean you can't use it.

All purpose flour has a protein level of 10-11% typically.
Wholewheat flour typically has a protein level of 14%
Bread flour typically has a protein level of 13%
Self-rising flour typically has a protein level of 8-9%
Cake flour typically has a protein level of 9%

http://joythebaker.com/2014/05/baking-101-the-difference-between-baking-flours/
The protein is where the gluten comes from, adding water to the flour causing the protein to form gluten (gliadin and glutenin)

Making sourdough has been stunningly easy and to be honest, even keeping the sourdough starter alive has not been difficult. It is pretty hard to kill it other than by starvation.
As for proving the bread, it is proofed in a cold area for a couple of days (roughly 36 hours) but a lot depends on the atmospheric conditions in your kitchen and fridge at the time. The cold area they refer to is basically the fridge and when you know you are not going to be using the starter for a couple of weeks, you can chill it and slow it down. It is in someways rather like a pet that needs feeding, though I don't suggest putting a pet in the fridge!

Sourdough has been a learning curve. Making it and getting it to work has for me been really easy. It and I have gelled instantly and I have had no issues with making it. I am going to start experimenting with some more original flavoured sourdough breads in the near future. I have come across a sourdough with lumps of dark chocolate in it in the past and fancy giving that a try. I also fancy trying to make a proper Scandinavian or German rye bread and then there are those amazing Danish and German sunflower and honey rye breads that we used to purchase. I really fancy giving them a try as well...

You can and I do quite frequently without issue, in the same way that I use normal wholemeal flour for making bread without any issues either. They both still contain gluten, just not in the same higher levels that bread benefits from being made with. And just because it benefits from it, does not mean you can't use it..
Ok - I knew that really :oops:. Indeed, I've often used plain flour to make certain kinds of bread - particularly flatbreads. Also, I believe that All Purpose flour is higher in gluten than our plain flour and that in the US they often use Soft flour, which is more like our Plain flour for cakes. It may vary from region to region. Its so damned confusing!
Anyway, I think I just thought that if @winterybella was to get a really good first-time result, it would be worth using Bread flour if it was easy to get. If not, as you say, try using AP flour. :D

This is a really interesting page of flours... http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm
Well worth a read. All USA flours mind you but...
Yup! I looked at that too (quoted in post about ten posts back - OMG!). I've just been looking up videos of different kneading techniques. I was surprised to learn so many new ones. The French method is particularly interesting for dealing with really sticky dough. I'm going to have to try this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXV8mayG3W0

All of these look so good, I love monkey bread and the pizza bread looks like a good think to take to a cookout. I can't make bread from scratch but I can open the refrigerated bread containers. I purchase the frozen yeast rolls for special holidays, they tast homemade, I think I will use those to make some monkey bread.

Back
Top Bottom