Recipe Pulled pork with turkey bacon and salsa verde diferente

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
3:07 PM
Pulled pork with turkey bacon and salsa verde diferente

possuannos.jpg

This is my low-fat + low-carb pork recipe; derived from a dozen of hearsays

Preparation time 10-15 min, cooking time 6-7 hours (oven) + 15 min (grill)
Serves 6-8 (in burritos or tacos)

Ingredients

1,5 kg pork tenderloin, trimmed (silver skin removed), cut into chunks
200 g turkey bacon, cut into bits
0,5 l (peach-flavored) diet cola
3 yellow onions, roughly cut
2 one-clove garlics (or 8-10 cloves), roughly cut
1/2 red chili, deseeded, cut into slices
4 teaspoons low-sodium salt
1 l fat-free sour milk (Nordic type cultured milk) or non-fat milk
Juice and zest of 2 oranges, (peeled coarsely with a potato peeler)
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into bits
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
2 teaspoons dried oregano
3 bay leaves
0,5 teaspoon ground black pepper

Prepare the ingredients, mix everything in a large oven pot/Dutch oven with lid and let cook in the oven (150ºC) for 6-7 hours. Turn on high heat (225ºC, grill element). Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the meat bits on the tray. Drizzle some macadamia nut oil on top. Broil in the oven for 15 minutes.

Strain the broth, rake the meat into shreds and moisten it with some broth.

Salsa verde diferente

3 tablespoons of Asian fish sauce (instead of anchovies)
A small bunch of parsley
A small bunch of coriander
A small bunch of mint
A small bunch of basil
2 tablespoons of capers
0,5 dl of ev olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 green bell pepper
1 teaspoon of unpeeled sesame seeds (resembles tomatillo seeds in appearance)
1/4 red chili, deseeded
Juice of 2 limes

Mix everything in a blender and serve with pulled pork and turkey bacon, dried onion flakes, lime slices and low-fat crème fraîche/stiff sour cream (smetana).

Last edited:
The flavors are coming and going so I'm not sure. We have Cola Cola Zero Peach currently in the shops and at least Spar (link) seems to sell it in the UK. There might be shortages at Sainsbury's and Tesco due to Covid-19. Anyhow, I put the parentheses to indicate that any brand or flavor of diet cola would do.
zero.JPG

Pulled pork is quite a worn out phenomenon as it's served in every corner but I haven't got bored yet. I'm experimenting with all kinds of kooky ingredients and trying to cut down on fats and carbs (at least occasionally, not with the condensed milk ice cream or raspberry pie :D). I prefer macadamia oil, evoo and vegetable cream instead of lard.

The flavors are coming and going so I'm not sure. We have Cola Cola Zero Peach currently in the shops and at least Spar (link) seems to sell it in the UK. There might be shortages at Sainsbury's and Tesco due to Covid-19. Anyhow, I put the parentheses to indicate that any brand or flavor of diet cola would do.
View attachment 47557
Pulled pork is quite a worn out phenomenon as it's served in every corner but I haven't got bored yet. I'm experimenting with all kinds of kooky ingredients and trying to cut down on fats and carbs (at least occasionally, not with the condensed milk ice cream or raspberry pie :D). I prefer macadamia oil, evoo and vegetable cream instead of lard.

Coca-Cola is always putting out limited time flavors in the US. I would assume they do the same overseas.

I have never done pulled pork with a lean cut of pork, like tenderloin. I've always cooked pork shoulder low and slow to pull -- often on the smoker. A lot of people do use the lean cuts, but I've never tried it.

As an interesting side note, in the Carolinas, whole hog bbq is a tradition. Rodney Scott is the king of whole hog bbq. After the whole hog is cooked (up to 24 hours), it is pulled, and all the parts are blended together, so you have shoulder, loin, ham -- everything in each bite.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLx32s1uL8w

CD

Last edited:
^ :okay: Thanks for the link, caseydog. The inexpensive, work consuming and fatty parts of pork are regarded most savory. We cook e.g. marinated pork shoulder (kassler) in the grill/barbecue and pork shank with rutabaga (swede), carrots, onions and potatoes but this time I tried to build up the lightest pulled pork version possible. We seldom roast whole hogs in Finland but we do have a tradition of making a large bonfire, letting it burn to dust, dig a whole beneath and embed a large piece of fatty pork or beef (wrapped in foil and several sheets of moist newspaper) in the embers for several hours. The dish is called "rosvopaisti" (= bandit roast).

Back
Top Bottom