Recipe Pumpkin and prawns

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
8:49 PM
This is a simple recipe that we follow when cooking prawns.

The ingredients: 2 slices of pumpkin, a kilo of prawns, one coconut that is grated, salt and sugar.

Procedure: Extract the milk from the grated coconut and boil in a pot until some solids are visible. Toss in the prawns (wash it very well before cooking) and the slices of pumpkin (preferably in cubes). Add a dash of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Turn off the stove when the pumpkin is already soft.

Best to eat with steamed rice.

That does seem simple and quick - except the grating of the coconut. I keep canned coconut milk on hand for soups and curries; I'm sure it's nothing like getting it fresh, but I don't care for coconut flesh and it would simply go to waste. Aside from that, I don't have much time for cooking so I don't do anything that involves a lot of prep. I'm not a big pumpkin person either, but I do like butternut squash and sweet potato.

Is your dish more of a soup or is it like a stew?

@ChanellG , you're back and here's your sister. I like the quick stuff and the having the grate the coconut would be a turn off for me. It's something I watched my mom do as a child and it just looked like pure labour. I was told we have the grated coconut sold in packs now so I would have to grab one of those as much as I like to control what goes on with my natural ingredients. Anyway, the recipe seems nice enough like something I would enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does seem simple and quick - except the grating of the coconut. I keep canned coconut milk on hand for soups and curries; I'm sure it's nothing like getting it fresh, but I don't care for coconut flesh and it would simply go to waste. Aside from that, I don't have much time for cooking so I don't do anything that involves a lot of prep. I'm not a big pumpkin person either, but I do like butternut squash and sweet potato.

Is your dish more of a soup or is it like a stew?

It is actually a stew. What's good in this dish are the solids that form after boiling the coconut milk. Those solids are edible and nutritious. The mix with the prawns and sometimes you would think they are part of the prawns. You can also add string beans to have some green. But over here the most popular mix with squash (or pumpkin) is the water hyacinth with the local name of Kangkong. Children are fooled to eat vegetables together with the prawns - squash and water hyacinth.

That sounded pretty quick to pull off. Can I omit the use of sugar? I wonder if it will taste like a pumpkin pie if I put some sugar on it. The creaminess of the coconut milk would compliment the salt I know. Can we add other vegetables or substitute the prawns with something else? My dad has allergies with prawns can we use meat or fish?

Back
Top Bottom