Pumpkin Pie tips

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
7:02 PM
The best part of Halloween, for me, is the excuse to make pumpkin pie. To be honest, anything flavoured with cinnamon or allspice draws me like a magnet, but there is something a bit special about the pumpkin pie - texture, not being too sweet, or maybe the need to put to good use those magnificent specimens of horticultural excess.

I have been looking back though old posts, and the only consensus seems to be that shop bought pumpkin pies are rubbish. The few recipes that I could find vary wildly in ingredients and methods, but I have yet to read one that did not appeal. A medtran49 version features a cheesecake style ginger nut base and a brûléed top, whilst a ElizabethB version has a Streusel topping. One uses fresh, roasted pumpkin whilst the other uses tinned purée. I even found a reference to dipping a piece of pie in chocolate, although that does seem a bit extreme. Reading those two lovely recipes made me wonder how many other variations there are out there.

I would love to learn more about home cooked pumpkin pie. It's easy enough to look up recipes, but what I really want to know are the family twists on the theme, the tips handed down through generations, the recollections of how great grandma used to make it. Any contributions would be greatly appreciated, from simple tips to full blown recipes if you have the time. 🙂

I can enter the recipe here later if you're interested, but the one I make, that I get threats of murder over if I don't make, is a pie that uses maple syrup in the filling, and comes with a maple-buttermilk sauce to pour over, and if that wasn't enough, candied pecan brickle/brittle to sprinkle over as well.

I can enter the recipe here later if you're interested, but the one I make, that I get threats of murder over if I don't make, is a pie that uses maple syrup in the filling, and comes with a maple-buttermilk sauce to pour over, and if that wasn't enough, candied pecan brickle/brittle to sprinkle over as well.

Hey TR, you got sweet potatoes in your veggie box. You should try a Southern sweet potato pie, if you haven't already.

CD

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. The recipe would be appreciated if you have time. No rush, the beasts will still be in the shops for at least a couple of weeks.

Did you like it? Sweet potato pie is similar to pumpkin pie.

CD
I thought it tasted a lot like pumpkin pie. 😬

I'm neither crazy about not disgusted by pumpkin pie. It's one of the many, many foods I'll eat if it's in front of me, but I won't go looking for it if it's not. MrsT, OTOH, loves the stuff, and since I make it only at Thanksgiving, she's usually resigned to ordering it out or getting a frozen one from the store any other time.

I thought it tasted a lot like pumpkin pie. 😬

I'm neither crazy about not disgusted by pumpkin pie. It's one of the many, many foods I'll eat if it's in front of me, but I won't go looking for it if it's not. MrsT, OTOH, loves the stuff, and since I make it only at Thanksgiving, she's usually resigned to ordering it out or getting a frozen one from the store any other time.

I feel the same about pumpkin pie. I like it, but can live without it.

CD

I don't even begin to understand it. Its not really known of in the UK. I like pumpkin in savoury dishes if I like it at all. Are there recipes for savoury pumpkin pies?

We have a recipe for a butternut squash savory pie that I'm sure could have pumpkin instead. It's from a pie place that is in a city south of us that sells nothing but pies, if they are still around that is. We used the filling for empanadas instead of pie. I'll look for it.

Found the link for the recipe. Good pie company pie recipe. I think pumpkin would do just fine. I'd use a small pie pumpkin if they are around for those of you on the other side of the pond.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom