Question about peppercorns

I´ve tried peppercorns from Viet nam, but my favourites have to be Telicherry black peppercorns, which have a glorious aromatic flavour.

I´ve tried peppercorns from Viet nam, but my favourites have to be Telicherry black peppercorns, which have a glorious aromatic flavour.

Yeah - they are wonderful. But also a favourite of mine is long pepper.

1658511570170.png

and the DELIcious KAMPOT peppercorn from Cambodia. KAmpot is way better. (to me)

Interesting as I'd not heard of these - it seems I can buy these Kampot peppers here in the UK but they are expensive. Would you recommend the black, red or white?

Then I will order some black ones and report back!
I just ordered some Kampot peppercorns. Man, these are expensive, but I hear great things about them. I always fill my grinder base with the full amount and then toast them over low heat until I can smell them in the air and then let them cool and have freshly toasted peppercorns in my grinder ready to go!

I just ordered some Kampot peppercorns. Man, these are expensive, but I hear great things about them. I always fill my grinder base with the full amount and then toast them over low heat until I can smell them in the air and then let them cool and have freshly toasted peppercorns in my grinder ready to go!

I really must try this trick of toasting the peppercorns for the grinder. I toast spices (including peppercorns) in this way all the time to make curries so I know what a difference it makes.

I really must try this trick of toasting the peppercorns for the grinder. I toast spices (including peppercorns) in this way all the time to make curries so I know what a difference it makes.
It takes about 20-30 minutes every month. Get the correct amount, toast them for about 10 minutes and let them cool for about 15-20 minutes, then put them back in the grinder and you're good for about a month'ish.

That sounds a long time to me. Toasting spices for curry only takes a few minutes in a dry pan otherwise they are liable to burn. Maybe you are using a lower heat.
Yes, I have an electric stove and it goes from 1 to 8 and I do pretty much level 1. It varies, I just go until I can smell all of them open up with that peppery-fruity scent and I know they're done. 5 minutes might be all you need, maybe more. 🤷‍♂️

I use quite a bit of black pepper, cracked and rough ground. Probably around once a week I'll pulse grind a tablespoon or two of whole corns in a coffee grinder (reserved for spices) and what I don't use I store in a double sealed jar. The jar has "shaker holes" in one top which will allow the finer ground pepper to escape. If I want the coarser/cracked pepper, I remove this top and add straight from the jar.

Rough ground black peppercorns.

Back
Top Bottom