Question about whole wheat flour

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
4:20 AM
I wanted to make this recipe, but I don't have any whole wheat flour. It's not something I plan on using again, and when I went to the store, all they had was large packages, which I didn't want to buy.

My question is, is there something I can add to regular all purpose flour to make it perform the same way whole wheat flour would?

Here's the recipe, in case that makes a difference.

Nothing I saw so far helped me so I can help you. Saw suggestions on how to interchange the two and the difference in measurements but nothing so far to turn all purpose into whole wheat. I guess we'll have to keep digging and that honey cake looks delightful by the way.

I would try looking online for a company that sells whole wheat flour in smaller quantities. When I have cooked recipes in the kitchen, sometimes I have substituted whole wheat flour for white flour and vice versa. I would shoot for finding whole wheat if the recipe calls for that, but I believe substituting white flour wouldn't hurt.

I wanted to make this recipe, but I don't have any whole wheat flour. It's not something I plan on using again, and when I went to the store, all they had was large packages, which I didn't want to buy.

My question is, is there something I can add to regular all purpose flour to make it perform the same way whole wheat flour would?

Here's the recipe, in case that makes a difference.
Looking at the recipe I don't think it would matter if you simply used all purpose flour. Otherwise, all you can do to approximate the wholewheat, is to add some bran and wheatgerm. But if you have to buy that specially, that could work more expensive as buying the wholewheat!

Nothing I saw so far helped me so I can help you. Saw suggestions on how to interchange the two and the difference in measurements but nothing so far to turn all purpose into whole wheat. I guess we'll have to keep digging and that honey cake looks delightful by the way.
I know, @winterybella, the picture caught my eye, and I really wanted to try making it. I might try yet, since @morning glory and @erbmusic think that would be o.k. I wish they had explained in the recipe why using the two different types of flour was necessary. I almost went ahead and tried making it with just the white the other day, but wanted to ask here first, since honey and almonds are pretty expensive. Even if it doesn't turn out exactly as described/pictured though, I'm sure it will be delightful, so I'll probably do that.

Back
Top Bottom