Recipe Quick Gumbo

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
9:03 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Gumbo is a dish found in the Southern Region of the United States. Most folks would make it far differently than I do, but a recipe is really someone else’s idea, I take them and run with them to make them my own.

Quick Gumbo
4-6 servings

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
2 large Celery stalks, diced
½ C. White Onion, diced
2 Carrots, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2-15oz. can diced Tomatoes
2-4 C. Chicken broth (I use 2 C., it’s up to you)
8 oz. frozen Cut Okra
½ tsp. dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
¼ tsp. Cayenne
6 Green onions, chopped, reserve the Green tops
2 lbs. boneless-skinless Chicken, cut into large bite sized pieces (I use Thighs)
1 lb. Kielbasa, sliced (you could use any Smoked Sausage you like really)
1 - 1 ½ tsp. Cornstarch
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Sauté until crisp-tender the Peppers, Celery, Carrots and Onions in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the Garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the chicken is done.
Adjust the seasoning with Salt & Pepper to your taste.
Mix the Cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp. of Water to create a slurry; add to the pot, stirring until it thickens to your liking.
Top with the reserved Green Onion tops.
This dish is usually served with Steamed Rice.

*Cook’s Note: You can also add 1 lb. of cleaned raw Shrimp at the last 5 minutes of cooking. Some folks like their Gumbo spicy, feel free to add a shake or two of your favorite Hot Sauce. Traditionally, Gumbo would have Andouille Sausage, but I have a difficult time finding that. Kielbasa is readily available in my area.

quick-gumbo.jpg

Then add flour and oil/butter (a fat), make a dark roux -- or buy a grocery store roux to make it quick and easy.

CD :wink:
Dawg, `member, we live in Cowboyville, AZ ... :laugh:
This is a quick and easy, no fuss, no muss dish. From prep to table I'd say is about 40 minutes, tops.
AND it uses canned Tomatoes :chef:
I probably should have named it Gumbo-ish :p:

Gumbo is a dish found in the Southern Region of the United States. Most folks would make it far differently than I do, but a recipe is really someone else’s idea, I take them and run with them to make them my own.

Quick Gumbo
4-6 servings

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
2 large Celery stalks, diced
½ C. White Onion, diced
2 Carrots, diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2-15oz. can diced Tomatoes
2-4 C. Chicken broth (I use 2 C., it’s up to you)
8 oz. frozen Cut Okra
½ tsp. dried Thyme
2 Bay leaves
¼ tsp. Cayenne
6 Green onions, chopped, reserve the Green tops
2 lbs. boneless-skinless Chicken, cut into large bite sized pieces (I use Thighs)
1 lb. Kielbasa, sliced (you could use any Smoked Sausage you like really)
1 - 1 ½ tsp. Cornstarch
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Sauté until crisp-tender the Peppers, Celery, Carrots and Onions in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the Garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the chicken is done.
Adjust the seasoning with Salt & Pepper to your taste.
Mix the Cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp. of Water to create a slurry; add to the pot, stirring until it thickens to your liking.
Top with the reserved Green Onion tops.
This dish is usually served with Steamed Rice.

*Cook’s Note: You can also add 1 lb. of cleaned raw Shrimp at the last 5 minutes of cooking. Some folks like their Gumbo spicy, feel free to add a shake or two of your favorite Hot Sauce. Traditionally, Gumbo would have Andouille Sausage, but I have a difficult time finding that. Kielbasa is readily available in my area.

View attachment 77010

Its a lovely colourful dish. Often, gumbo-ish dishes can look a bit dull.

How about "Kind of a Creole Gumbo?"
In New Orleans they make Gumbo with a tomato base - Creole Gumbo.
In south central Louisiana we make Cajun Gumbo (REAL Gumbo) with a dark roux base.
Whatever you call it, it looks lovely and sounds tasty.

How about "Kind of a Creole Gumbo?"
In New Orleans they make Gumbo with a tomato base - Creole Gumbo.
In south central Louisiana we make Cajun Gumbo (REAL Gumbo) with a dark roux base.
Whatever you call it, it looks lovely and sounds tasty.

Yeah, Creole gumbo crossed my mind, but I've never made it -- or eaten it that I can recall.

CD

I've never had "real" Gumbo of any sort, so there's that ... I'm from Hawaii, what the h--- do I know 😊

Creole gumbo is real gumbo, it is just different. Creole food in Louisiana is more "city" food historically, and uses tomatoes. Cajun food is more "country" food centered in SE Louisiana, and doesn't use tomatoes.

CD

Did you mean 'isn't' rather than 'is'?

Nope. they are both real. They just have different origins. Louisiana creole style cooking came over with the slave trade from the Caribbean. Cajun cooking was created by the Acadians, or French Canadians who fled Canada for Southern Louisiana.

CD

Back
Top Bottom